How optimistic are you about your condition?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sirlanc, Nov 5, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

1. My condition will deteriorate

42 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. My condition will stay the same

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. My condition will improve but never to full relief

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  4. My condition will improve to full relief

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Someone will find a cure for everyone with MD

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

2. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Right now I am very optimistic. Six weeks ago I was very pessimistic, ready to take disability and spend the rest of my life in a recliner.

3. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I just don't know. I am pretty hopeful that I won't have debilitating vertigo, thanks to the Dr. chemically cooking my balance nerve. But the discomfort, occasional unsteadiness, and tired feeling need to be addressed long term. Getting another dex shot today, so I'll maybe change my vote later!

4. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Depends on the day... I could check all of the above at one point or another....

5. Tara

Tara New Member

I'm with Mcdizz.

6. June-

June- New Member

I've already gotten to the third one, I think a full understanding of menieres by the medical community is just around the corner, maybe 5 years away.

7. newflady

newflady New Member

I said stay the same.....I am being hopeful, but won't we eventually loose hearing in the effected ear.......hey, I will trade that for vertigo any day and twice on Sunday!!!

8. Daize

Daize New Member

I could check all the above too, however, I take it one day at a time. I am optimistic about this that I know it will never go away.

interesting post :)

9. Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne the sounds of birds stops the noise in my mind

After only a year into this disease, I'm still optimistic. However, I am trying to be a realist as well. This disease is so individual that it's hard not to be optimistic, plus it is what keeps me going.

10. amyann

amyann New Member

So, I voted that my condition will improve, but I have a feeling that it will get worse before it gets better. Of course, there is a part of me that thinks that there is more going on here. Not MM or not just MM. We have yet to see and I have yet to learn more about my triggers.

11. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

"My condition will improve to full relief" - this is not possible because of the damage done. It's good to dream, however. Each day gives me another chance to adjust my attitude and live as best I can.

12. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

its amazing to see how many people are still so optimistic! i would be that a major contributer to this factor is having this community and other to share and talk with! Most people i have met with our condition that fight alone or just with another partner that does not understand are much weaker and less optimistic.

13. Bastet

Bastet New Member

If you would have put "I don't know" I would have picked that choice. Because, I don't know. I'm not optimistic and I'm not pessimistic. I feel down sometimes and up sometimes. I'm hoping the latest meds will work, but who knows?

14. JRod

JRod New Member

This was a very intersting post. Of course, not as interesting to the last one I just read. (refering to the post that caused a lot of the buzz earlier today).

I voted stay the same. But if you would have asked me this questions 2, 5, or 10 years ago I probably would have responded with 3 different answers. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but in my case, I tended to be more optimistic in the early stages where I had less symptoms. As the ol' MM starting trucking down Route 66, I kind of went from Idealistic to Realistic. To good news, many people end up doing just fine and can manage well. All I can say is try to stay positive as long as humanly possible. Best of luck.

15. jaypr

jaypr New Member

Hi Sirlanc For myself I have to disagree with you. I can see why people on their own or with a partner who doesn't understand would be less optimistic, but for me who does fight this alone it makes me even more determined.
    I am very optimistic. I see this as a challenge that will not get the better of me long term. But I can see why you would come to your conclusion.

Frank

16. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

Thanks Frank! good luck on your way, i personally think modern medicine will find a cure, its just a matter of time and better technology that can see directly into the inner ear.

17. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Well...
    I think no matter what I hope to still enjoy life the best i can. My damage is done....and that i accept. I think science may help at some time, but even the common cold is still not cured so I am not sure how quickly a cure will come. I am hopeful that for the younger folks a cure or solid treatment may be not far off.
    I am grateful that the vertigo has subsided and feel for those who still endure it.
    optimism is a choice....

best

G

18. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

It's human nature, when you find you can't do something you used to do, you tend to think your life is over and that you'll never enjoy it again.

But it's all relative. Eventually you can learn to enjoy life even with physical limitations. Which is not to say that you won't miss the old things, but a positive attitude makes it easier to recover from the bummer that naturally occurs when you find you have MM, or cancer, or paralysis, blindness, etc, etc.

19. anagnostis

anagnostis Anagnostis - This is HELLAS!!!

I agree with you Sirlanc it's matter of time!!!!!

Good luck to all of you!!!!

20. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

I'm an optimist,
    Here is a link I just found.

http://kokonutpundits.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-successful-case-example-of.html