How optimistic are you about your condition?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sirlanc, Nov 5, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

How optimistic are you about your condition?

1. My condition will deteriorate

42 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. My condition will stay the same

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. My condition will improve but never to full relief

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  4. My condition will improve to full relief

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Someone will find a cure for everyone with MD

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Optimistic is a word I've never used in conjunction with Meniere's. I didn't vote because I have no idea what will happen in the future. Right now I deal with this disease/disorder as each day brings it to me.

I can wish or be depressed all I want, it won't change reality. There's always hope though.

2. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I am optimistic that I have stopped the vertigo, can't do much for the hearing loss, but there Is technology for that.

Always remember life rewards the brave. God bless

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

I try to take one day at a time, I don't look back and I don't look forward. Today is a good day, I am thankful, each day without "drops" is a good reason to be optimistic.

4. annegina

annegina New Member

I have just had some symptoms recur after a 3 year remission.
    What will be different with me this time is that I am going to try to be optimistic as a way of dealing with my condition. The anxiety and depression I suffered was far worse than any actual spinning, hearing problems etc
    . Its really easy to slip into fear and anxiety with this disease because there are varying causes, no known cure, and the pattern is totally unpredictable! How hard is that to deal with????
    There are some awful diseases that have prescribed treatments and you go stepwise through the course, like cancer and heart disease and I think we as humans are bettter with that.
    This disease challenges you every day to live with it, not only to live with it but be a detective to find out your particular set of tools and triggers and coping--sometimes when you are feeling very crappy.
    And there is nothing as frightening as rotational vertigo, the spinning, the puking, and the anticipation of it.

I have not been on this forum much in the last 3 years for the obvious reason, but coming back I see many of the same veterans still plugging away, giving words of inspiration that when I read them are like a healing on my heart, as much for the people who are typing them as for the words themselves. sometimes our sickest ones are the most optimistic? Why?????
    We cant change the actual fact of MM but it is within our reach to be brave and FIGHT. To some that comes naturally but not to me. Ive really got to work at it.
    I care for sick people all the time. To some the world is ending with an ingrown toenail. I have an acquaintance who I was horrified to see on the oncology floor with intractable pain-he had cancer or wouldnt be on the floor he is on--when I glimpsed his records I saw his diagnosis-- pancreatic cancer. When I went in his room to visit a while the Steve Jobs headline was on the newspaper lying on his bedside table.
    What is the first thing he did? He dragged out pictures of his grandson talked about the Steelers chances. I am sure he is scared and sad--he is only 57. But some part of him is grounded in the normalcy of life.

Maybe a good thread would be how optimistic are you that you can deal with your condition? Our MM "oldies"---- many of them are still showing us the way.
    It is good to read your words of optimism and let them work their magic on me!!!!!!
    I was going to stick close to home but after coming on here i am going to try to go to the gym--it always makes me feel better and helps my hearing (improved circulation to the ear?) and balance as I have been feeling that odd off kilter feeling.

Newbies---I never DREAMED there would be a 3 year remission in the cards for me--try to live each day and know always to hope!

5. survivedit

survivedit New Member

If Meniere's has taught me anything it has been to be optimistic. I don't know what it's like to have cancer, fibro, ALS or any other kind of disease, but I know what it's like living with MM. It's like living with a live grenade in your hand.

I've learned that I can beat it physically. As wretched as it's made me feel, I am 100% successful at getting through every episode I've ever had. Even though I'm left with virtually no hearing or vestibular function by this point, I've still learned that the physical battle can be won.

I've also learned that the mental battle is every bit as important as the physical one. MM has sent me into the black hole of depression, but with the help of a good counselor I got that sorted out. The best thing she told me was that 'Everything changes'. No matter how bad it seems, it's not going to stay that way forever. It's going to change. That helped me immensely and I think it was also the point where I realized really needed to learn to win the mental battle.

Therefore, I am optimistic.

6. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Great post

7. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

The best that I got going for me at this point is that it doesnt get any worse. And I am optimistic that it wont.

8. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

What a great post, so true my friend, so true! Thanks.

9. daBronx

daBronx New Member

http://galileounchained.com/2011/10/11/stephen-hawking-speaks/
    This was the first time I watched this,and this has been quite an eye opener.

10. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

After re-reading my entry, I went a head and voted. Seems to me I feel like it's pretty much gonna stay the same. It's hasn't changed in years. I can only hope it'll get better but I'm prepared to having it stay with me for the duration. Not a downer position just a realistic one in my opinion.

11. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

The question is unclear. How optimistic am I that a cure will be found or How optimistic am I that can manage my condition?

My optimism or pessimism has no bearing on whether a cure for Meniere's Disease will be found. It is out of my control.

My resolve to live a functional life and manage my condtion, is. I am pretty optimistic about that.

13. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

which one of the options is not clear?

optimism of pessimism might not have a bearing on a cure but is sure does have a bearing on how one deals with his condition.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yes. That is what I answered after I broke the heading down into two parts.

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Today, I am optimistic.

I've been multi tasking, something I've had a hard time with.
    I walked for far longer than I've been able to.
    I feel, just good.
    I'm happy,too.

I think the acyclovir may be helping. I have a script but only for 30 days.
    I wonder if I'll still be good after the 30 days, but I'm still optimistic today.

16. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

out of remission, two drop attacks behind me (no damaged done) but the trend is improvement and still optimistic its going to keep getting better and better.

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What do you mean when you say out of remission? Are you attacks at the same intensity as before or you are having sporadic attacks again? I hope you continue to improve.

18. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

thank you!

i mean, i have balance issues. Its hard for me to say if the attacks are of less intensity or simply i "got used" to getting them. for sure i have found the medication that terminates my attacks in less than 30min. bottom line i live well with this condition, while its there, it has no impact on my quality of life.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Did you used to get all the four symptoms going off at once before an attack or during like most people describe here? By that I mean, severe ear fullness, increased tinnitus, intense vertigo and hearing loss?

Are you saying that now, during your attacks, you are left feeling uneasy and off balance but none of the other symptoms present themselves?

I know this may not be the best analogy but it sounds like when I go from a period of migraines to headaches. My quality of life is not damaged by a headache but it is brought to its knees by a migraine.

20. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

I never, since day one, noticed any fullness in my ear or increases tinnitus while getting an attack, I just have constant pulsating tinnitus 24/7, a constant hearing loss of 60db which started with 10db and stopped at 60db after ~ 2 years and have had over 100 vertigo attacks since 2009 including two drop attacks which caused no physical damage.

I still get the same vertigo attacks, after more than a 100 I adopted and got used to them. I don't really get any emotional response to them like i did in the first few times and the medication stops the attack fast. So I just pop my vertigo pills, lay down and am up and good to go in 30 min.