I wonder as I wander ...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by June-, Aug 1, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. corona

corona New Member

Have you seen those videos on youtube on monarch butterflies in Mexico right when they are getting ready to migrate? The air is so dense with them! It's the most amazing and beautiful thing.

This is one of the videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Qx93RChhQ&feature=related

2. June-

June- New Member

Nice video. All those butterflies leaving Mexico are about to expire but they still do what they are supposed to do and start the journey and lay eggs so the next generation can finish the journey. See the promised land as it were.

3. corona

corona New Member

Pretty much what most of us humans do....with a longer lease on life :D

4. June-

June- New Member

I went out to gather milkweed this morning and brought home another monarch - this time an egg, soon to be caterpillar. These experiences just bowl me over. The thing that most amazes me is that all these years milkweed has been just milkweed to me. While in an academic sense I knew monarch larvae feed on milkweed, I had never learned how to id a monarch egg on milk weed. Now that I have been shown and tried it myself it is so simple! And I will have an easy way of verifying the whole thing when the butterfly emerges. It couldn't be simpler and yet to 99% of the population of the US it is invisible, just weeds. We are so disconnected from nature in this generation in this country. It is so fulfilling to get back in touch.

5. June-

June- New Member

The story is the same for all the species. We're just the only ones who talk about it as far as we know that is.

"Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment."

Buckminster Fuller

6. corona

corona New Member

We are...to a degree. But think how many things some of us have to do just to stay afloat. It's awful that as much as one tries to simplify one's life, there just isn't enough to go around to make ends meet. I wish it could be otherwise. I completely agree that being in touch with nature is fulfilling on all levels...and it's one of the few things that is freely available.

7. June-

June- New Member

Time is truly the currency of our lives. Since I retired I have felt very rich.

How we spend our time reflects our priorities more than anything we say. We give our employers our time because we wish to have a roof over our heads and food to eat. Although I always got a lot of enjoyment out of my job, I would give my employer less time if I had it to do over again.

As far as nature is concerned, for some people the connection is necessary for mental health. For others it is a luxury.

8. corona

corona New Member

Some days I feel like packing it all up and taking off to some island place where I can teach English and watch my kids grow up away from the chaos of our world. I don't have major needs nor am I attached to property or material stuff. Giving things up is the easy part. My only concern is health care..probably because of this weird affliction that strikes us.

9. June-

June- New Member

If you find a job that is 80% good stuff, that's a lot. I think you may find that teaching one place or another. Make them give you good benefits even if a church mouse's salary.

10. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

That was great to read, June. I have a milkweed bush in my garden but I have never seen a monarch egg or larvae to my knowledge.

I am going to do some research to find out more.

Thanks for this.

11. June-

June- New Member

Here's one site. http://monarchwatch.org/

The eggs can be differentiated from a bit of latex (the white milkweed sap) because the eggs 'stand up'. Once you see it you will get it. THe caterpillars hatch in about 4 days from egg being laid and are teeny tiny little cats. You may find a little cat on the underside of the leaf too. Look for small blemishes in the leaf and turn it over.

12. pardonme

pardonme Guest

13. June-

June- New Member

Oh great! I would love to see them. Are you near Pacific Grove?

14. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i would like that - my daughter gave me her camera - it is digital and i have one already.. i can send it to you if you wish :)

15. pardonme

pardonme Guest

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Thanks for that link, June. I am going out to inspect my milkweed and hope to find some wildlife out there.

That was a fantastic website.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

oh gosh Pardonme - my little kodak is ancient and not quiet fast enough for a lot of shots but I have patience and goodies with me for the kids and animals to strike just one more pose....

19. June-

June- New Member

I had a camera that took lousy shots on and off for a year until I read the directions. ::) Then it worked pretty well. Mention it just in case you could be the same way. :D

20. June-

June- New Member

Here's a site with a good picture of the caterpillar egg.

http://www.monarch-butterfly.com/