If you had one question...........

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Cara, Nov 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

As you have probably read exothermic and endothermic is based on Boyle's Law,which simply means gas cools off when it expands and heat's up when it is compressed.
    As a joke,a student wrote the following paper:
    http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/joke/exoendo.htm
    I can assure you that since believers have no sense of humor,they will not find this funny,though of course atheists and other non-believers will.

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Chris - the questions on this thread are directed to God rather than you. My understanding is that God determines who goes to hell so you might not want to speak on his behalf when you suggest that's where BYB will end up.

Cara - I think BYB was playing around with the exothermic (hell producing its own heat) vs endothermic (absorbing the heat generated by those in hell).

3. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

yep--I was kinda thinking that too; i.e., God gets to make that decision (even for aliens)
    Chris, some of the most devout Christians were once atheists--we even have at least one on the boards here (devout Christian who was once an atheist)--and, remember, redemption, in the eyes of most Christians, is available until the very end--we don't know where BYB's heart will lead him--I wouldn't bet that he'll become a Christian, but I would bet a huge amount that neither you nor I has a crystal ball to guess where he will be in the future

and Cara, you know I have a vast list of useless big words in my head, and I even read science for fun, but I had to look those words up again to remember what they meant

4. June-

June- New Member

Gees Louise, you must have had some very unhappy experiences at the hands of people who claimed to be religious. I am sorry you didn't have opportunity to know some kind people of faith earlier.

5. Cara

Cara New Member

Ahhhh, Sarita........as in endoscopy! Ok, Ok, I get it now. Plus Bob explained it to me, plus I read what BYB pasted.
    BYB......I am a believer, and have a sense of humor about it too. I am "southern Baptist" , I'm talkin small town Georgia Baptist ok?? I can poke fun at myself. I also believe God has a sense of humor too.
    But to politely disagree.......I think Hell froze over once already.....I mean.......the Eagles re-united!!

6. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Is that all there is?

7. Cara

Cara New Member

LOL! I think I'm a heethen southern Baptist. What is strange Sarita is that I wasn't raised southern Baptist, I chose it, but have always kept my open mind. Bob, however, was raised Baptist and he is now agnostic.

8. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

that heethen husband dun ruint you

9. Cara

Cara New Member

Bahahahaha Jim......

But seriously.......its just a matter of mutual respect.......I talk, he listens, he talks, I listen,,,,doesn't mean we agree, but we don't "DIS" each other either.

10. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Yeah but I can have an "opinion" of where I think he'll end up, no laws or rules against that. ;)

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

But what purpose does sharing that opinion have, let alone sharing that opinion here? Do you think anyone else will enjoy your own perverse schadenfreude?

12. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I think what you need to understand Chris is that it is very offensive to many of us when you say stuff like this.

Although we realize that this belief is what you believe that is not necessarily what others believe and to say people are going to hell if they don't believe in the way you believe it to be true is actually very offensive to many decent and kind people.

Do you realize that Cara's beloved husband is agnostic and so by your terms will end up in hell along with a lot of others here.

13. Cara

Cara New Member

Ok, I'm really going out on a limb here........this has upset me. I was married for 27 years to a man who split my lip, chipped my teeth, slammed my head on the floor so hard it knocked me out, asked me on a weekly basis how F-----g stupid I was. Drilled into me I was either to fat, to skinny, or to ugly.....I could go on and on, but I'll stop there because I think that gives everyone the "just" of it. This was a man who attended church with me and my children every Sunday. This was a man who was always the life of the party! Everyone loved to be around him. He was "saved", a "believer".
    The man I am married to now is agnostic........but I have never ever been treated better in my life. I had such a low self esteem when we met, I don't know what kept him coming back, but he did. He helps everyone who crosses his path. He LIVES "Do Unto Others........." Please don't tell me that he is going to hell.

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Cara, I am so sorry that you had to be exposed to that awful message and I am so sorry for what you have had to endure. I am so glad that you have found such a good man and please know that the rest of us don't think the way this one individual does.

Chris, you really need to reassess your thought process and stop damning people to hell because you are hurting people.

15. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Yes I do, here and other parts of the forum too.

I appreciate what everyone has to offer not only the ones that think exactly like me.

16. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Chris,I don't mind your opinion.The fact is your opinion is not based on empirical evidence,just a silly immature superstitious belief.
    So keep 'em coming kid.

17. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Of course he's not... you know that..

18. rev

rev New Member

I'm guessing my question would have something to do with how it is so easy for some to believe and so hard for others. This comes from my being part of the baptism of my grandfather as a believer. He was in his 70's then. Grandmother had prayed their whole marriage for him and died without seeing him come to faith. He was a good man, not unlike Cara's description of her current hubby. He was a great husband and father. Faith was just a tough thing for him to give himself over too. For me, it was easy. I sensed my need, realized I couldn't do anything - then realized it was already done. I just had to believe.

19. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

Could I have done something to stop this from happening?

20. Cara

Cara New Member

Rev.......I like the way you put that, kinda happened for me that way..... "I sensed my need....realized I couldn't do anything...then realized it was already done."