If you had one question...........

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Cara, Nov 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I am just going by what the Bible says and what common sense tells you, that if you don't believe in something and have no interest in it then why should you get the same rewards in the end. So because I did not finish college or attend some fancy university and felt like it was something I didn't really need, should I then be rewarded with the same masters degree that someone who went and studied for 6 years at Stanford or Michigan State receives?(it's a fair question)

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

It may be a fair question but its based on a false analogy. Working hard to earn a degree is not the same as working hard (doing good things) to earn a place in Heaven, because in addition to the hard work one is required to have belief and faith in God - yes?

3. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

You missed the entire point; so because I choose to believe in God, say my prayers, and try and stay faithful to his word the best that I can, but that you or whomever choose not to and could care less. Should you be rewarded with eternal life in the same heavenly place I'm hoping to be? If you say yes then please have someone put that MIT degree in the mail for me right away.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

There are no guarantees of outcomes... you choose your path and others choose theirs.

Sometimes there is more than one path to get to a destination assuming that it is a common destination.

5. June-

June- New Member

So the point is just do this to get into heaven, not because there is any other reason to lead a Christian life ? It is contrary to my Christian education to be doing God's will to beat someone else out of going to heaven. It would seem to miss the point entirely but that is how it is. People - even if they may use the same title to describe their beliefs - may have quite different beliefs. Yet they may all be good people trying hard to do what is right.

6. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I tell you what, since everyone has decided to gang tackle me and make me out to be some monster you can all go to hell as far as I am concerned! And I guess it's sections like this where you see people for who they really are, and all that friendly banter and well wishes that goes on up in the Front Porch between us is all a bunch of crap!! :mad:

7. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I agree with June (I think - don't want to misrepresent you June),

I would hope that people 'do good' not (just) as a ticket to Heaven but because the good is self evident. For those of us who are non believers what we have is the here and now. So we 'do good' not to please God, but to make life better here on earth, now.

8. June-

June- New Member

Sorry, when you are talking you are the one I talk to. I don't mean to say anything that is a personal affront and I apologize if it sounds that way. I wish you would put some kind of flag up if you do not want any response that doesn't agree with you.

9. June-

June- New Member

I think that beyond that a believer in Christian doctrine would want to do what Jesus wants them to do just because in addition to the fact that it is likely to make life better here on earth as well.

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Chris,

No one is gang tackling you. This is a civil exchange of ideas between adults. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Absolutely - Jesus is the teacher so believers follow his lessons. Makes sense to me. As a matter of fact, I, and many other non believers I know, admire the teachings of Jesus and find him an inspiring person.

12. June-

June- New Member

As a non-believer, what is it you don't believe precisely?

13. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Chris this is so not about you. No one has ganged up on you.

We have believers, non-believers, agnostics and atheists in peaceful conversation here and you are the only one throwing a fit and offending others so yes that is who we really are. You have really got to stop telling people to go to hell or that they are going to hell.

Sheesh

14. June-

June- New Member

You mean that offends people? :D

15. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

God/a diety, an afterlife. These I don't belive in.

The teachings of Jesus, or words which have been written describing what a person/character called Jesus said and did are great. He's like the original hippy - peace, love, understanding, forgiveness etc. All wonderful qualities. Similar things said by Buddha, mystics, philosophers etc. In a nutshell 'be nice'.

16. June-

June- New Member

Do you just not subscribe to these ideas or are you certain they don't exist in any form ?

17. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Certain? Goodness me, no. I have not died yet so I can't say for sure. People who have technically 'died' and been revived have mixed reports.

It's also too strong to say I don't 'subscribe' to them. It's not as simple or logical as saying there's no evidence (although I'm satisfied that at this point in time there isn't) it's just that it doesn't ring true for me. I know there's been endless debates on here trying to 'logic' or 'evidence' God into or out of existence but I think it comes down to - it speaks to a person or it doesn't. To me it doesn't. I've said it before but I'm not so arrogant as to assume you or anyone reads my posts religiously (ahem) but I don't 'deny' God, I just don't believe.

Hope that makes sense.

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Add me amoung these thoughts, I knew there was something I liked about you INS!

19. June-

June- New Member

I understand completely.

20. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Really? It's been about 7 on 1 so far for about an hour now, so if that isn't ganging up or piling on then I don't know what is - and I don't appreciate it at all and paybacks are a b*tch!!