John of Ohio

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sholly, Jun 6, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

No, I think what he meant was that he has no issue with their being any reduction of active ingredient in the pills ... that the pills .. as taken with the active ingredient that those particular pills contain have been sufficient for him and others to get relief. Basically, to me it sounds like he's saying he does not see any issues with there being a lack of active ingredient.

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Your concerns are idiotic. Just where do you get or propose the idea that any of these products are really chalk? It's the opposite. Each of these has in them exactly what's on the lable. That's why they work. Period.

With your perspectives on the matter, the regimen is not for you, sorry to say.

--John of Ohio

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

No, I didn't state or imply that, either, that "there being a lack of ingredient." This is getting rediculous. Let me state this once again, for the record. The products I recommend, from the vendors I recommend, are exactly as claimed on the product lables. They work because they have the indicated amounts of the listed active ingredients -- and this has been the case now for over 10 years.

-John of Ohio

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Carole,

Without the lysine any herpes virus embedded in inner ear tissues can resume activity at any time. In fact, the symptoms you described may result from such an infection. 2000 mgs of daily lysine has proven not sufficient to suppress most inner ear herpes infections. That's exactly why I hiked the daily dosage to 3000 mgs, in three 1000 mgs dosings (without food).

Will resuming a lysine regimen, a\this time at 3x 1000 mgs bring any relief? That can only be known by trying it for a few months. As those with MM know, virtually nothing brings quick and easy relief.

--John of Ohio

5. Angelea

Angelea New Member

If you all are not familiar with Consumer Lab, here is a brief explanation of who they are:

http://www.consumerlab.com/aboutcl.asp

And here is why I am so skeptical about consistent quality and purity of dietary supplements:

http://www.consumerlab.com/

I will say it again: I do not doubt that supplements have the potential to have a therapeutic effect similar to, or better than, some drugs. And anything in a dose high enough to have a therapeutic effect has the potential to have short-term and/or long-term side effects, some known and some unknown. But how can you be sure that every bottle of product you purchase actually contains the dose of active ingredient stated on the label AND does not contain potentially poisonous contaminants? Who is checking this?

It is unfortunate...

6. Angelea

Angelea New Member

John,

For the record, I see nothing wrong with you or your regimen. All I am asking is for you to encourage followers to make smart choices about who they buy the supplements from. At this time, at least in the U.S., the safest way to ensure that the supplements one is purchasing contain what they say they do is to buy only USP-verified products whenever possible. I understand that the lemon bioflavonoids and vinpocetine are not available from USP-participating vendors. I just caution people to do some research and be safe.

I rest my case.

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Angelea,

Clearly, over the counter vitamins, minerals, and supplements are just things you should avoid. For you, their percieved problems are greater than their results. For you, they can't be trusted. VMSs aren't for you.

But for millions of Americans, they are. In fact, the products of the major VMS suppliers, such as Vitamin Shoppe, Nutrition Express, VitaCost, and Swanson's, and a number of others, have extensive in-house quality assurance labs. I trust those labs, products, and vendors. You don't. That's the essence of the matter.

--John of Ohio

8. Angelea

Angelea New Member

You are wrong. I take 1000 IU of vitamin D twice a day (Kirkland Brand). I give it to my kids, too. I also take 500 mg of magnesium when I get twitchy legs or leg cramps (Nature Made). When I go through stages of not eating much fish, I take Kirkland Brand fish oil supplements.

9. phildsc

phildsc New Member

I suppose I'm just a trusting old fool, but when I get on an airplane, I don't ask to check the pilot's license. One needs to trust the people one deals with, otherwise we wander the world in paranoia.

10. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

Man I didn't know you were so touchy and defensive.

Why do I need a certain perspective for your regimen to be for me? Does it only work as a placebo, in that I must believe in it and trust everything you say for it to work?

11. jaypr

jaypr New Member

Its up to the individual whether they believe or trust in what John of Ohio states.

After finding this forum, following the JOH suggestions has been the most fortunate life changing event for me since I was diagnosed with menieres.

Thanks John

Regards

Frank

12. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

Hi Frank

First, congrats on your positive results. I myself am in full remission at this time so I know how exciting it can be!:)

I agree with you 100% about it being up to each individual. I do not advocate anything other than people doing what they want to do

I just wasn't aware that JOH relied, at least partially it seems, on the placebo effect.

I'll give you an example. I had some tendinitis for a year in my arm from lifting weights. I had tried everything from anti inflammatory drugs(pills), icing it, heat therapy. The doc suggested a cortisone injection. After a year with this, I in no way believed it would work. In fact, I believed it wouldn't work. Well believe it or not it did work. :)

Now one might have said the cortisone injection wasn't for me since my perspective on it was not positive, but that's not the way it works, since the cortisone is not a placebo.

JOH said the regimen would not have been for me based on my perspective, so I can only infer that the JOH regimen relies, at least partially, on the placebo effect, that is all I am saying. In no way would I ever say someone should or should not undertake ANY treatment. That is an individual choice, as you correctly point out.

13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I'm not "touchy." I have no concerns about the quality or efficacy of the products I recommend. Those belonged to the previous posters. My regimen does not work because of any placebo effect. It works because the products do. Real physiology, not hope, belief, or presumption of any kind. Nor do I care who elects to try my regimen. I post it for anyone who decides, on their own, to try it.

But those who will worry about whether or not the products are "real," or high qualiity, or polluted with contaminants should probably question if any of this is for them.

There are lots of people who, understandably, simply won't consider any Meniere's advice appearing on this website, because it doesn't come from real medical people, with real medical studies to substantiate the things posted here (such as my regimen). That's understandable. Trust, understanding, perceptions of safety and efficacy and all the other things weighing on someone's treatment decisions come into play, as expressed in several of the postings above. It's medicine in the 21st century on the Web.

--John of Ohio

14. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

I take supplements. I just like to ask questions too. :)

My personal opinion is that folks should always ask questions and be skeptical. That doesn't mean that any given treatment is not for them...just that they do not blindly trust anything anyone says or claims.

I'm skeptical of "real medical people" AND internet medical advice/herbals/supplements. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't go to the doctor, or that I don't take supplements. Hell, I ask my Dr. questions and challenge him all the time. I consider the folks in this thread that question what is really in supplements to be smart and intelligent. By the same token, as one poster said, at some point you have to say eff it and try something if you're suffering...a leap of faith so to say.

Even a prescription at a pharmacy is a leap of faith. Who knows if the pharmacist made a mistake, a la It's a Wonderful Life. I feel no guilt for questioning the pharmacist to make sure a mistake wasn't made. Questioning the pharmacist about what is in my prescription does not mean that prescription drugs are not for me.

You need to be a little less touchy about folks just questioning and raising possible issues. Just my opinion of course.

15. chrisj

chrisj Guest

John,

'Medicine in the 21st Century'...Gawd, I hope not.

Those real medical people with real medical studies have actually produced some handy 'real' results over the years... :)

I take your regimen, minus the vitamin component (I believe a balanced diet should provide that), and I do see results from time to time. I believe the bioflavonoids relieve some of the ear fullness. Perhaps.

The trouble is, MD is typified by remissions ranging from days to decades, and it is for this reason that every treatment, whether conventional or alternative should be subject to close scrutiny, in order to gauge the real effect, if any.

Your success rates of (was it 95%) are high enough to constitute a cure, John, but as we know, MD has not been cured.

Unless you take ALL the data from people taking your regimen, (not just the people who have contacted you), and track them over a long period of time, you will not be able to discount the remission factor, and yes, the placebo effect.

That said John, I thank you once again for your research, and for the hope you freely give to MD sufferers.

Enjoy your Ohio day,

Cheers,

Chris

16. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Chris, there is no such thing as a 'remission factor.' There are reasons for Meniere's symptoms, and when the Meniere's symptoms do not present, that reason is no longer present, or that reason is being, or has been, successfully treated. But luck, or a mathematical multiplier, 'factor' as you say, has nothing to do with whether symptoms present. To believe that it might, or can, personifies remission, gives remission a life and a prerogative of it's own, an intelligence of its own, and sanctions waiting on the luck of the draw, remission, to take a liking to a sufferer as an acceptable treatment alternative.

The reason 'remission' is adopted into the medical lexicon is that when one cannot explain, or reason, or when one won't even venture a guess of the cause of certain symptoms, then one also cannot explain, reason or venture a guess regarding the reason that such a cause is no longer active. So instead of explaining, or reasoning, or guessing, medical science gives that a name. They call it 'remission.' But it is a meaningless term. It is meaningless because one cannot use remission to one's benefit. One cannot explain remission. One cannot promote remission. One cannot transfer or inject remission to others. So 'remission,' as a concept, is totally useless. And it is a term whose only impact is that the doctor who uses it can refrain from stating that he has no clue as to the origin of the symptoms or why they went away.

In the cases we have before us, for practically every one of the folks for whom the JOH regimen works, when they go off of the regimen the symptoms return. JOH tells us that about his case as well. And when he and others go back on the regimen, the symptoms go away. So unless remission has an intelligence of its own, and can turn itself on and off at will, or unless these folks are making all this up, something about the regimen successfully treats the cause of their symptoms, whatever that cause may be. But 'remission' has nothing to do with whether this treatment works. If it did, then remission can be manipulated, which means it is not remission, only a name.

17. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

The JOH and Henry show is back on the air.

Good to see you guys back in business of helping cure mm.

18. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Hello Henry,

I'll agree with you, in that 'remission' cannot readily be explained by medical science. What causes the symptoms to fade, only to return in a day, or a year, or ten years?

'Remission' is not a meanlingless term though. With MD, it is a characteristic. An unexplained characteristic, but a characteristic nonetheless. That is what makes MD an elusive beast to catch, and that is what provides a fertile environment for 'cures'.

I think you are exaggerating (hugely) when you claim a direct and automatic correlation between people taking the supps, and gaining relief from symptoms. That just doesn't happen, and I don't believe John has ever claimed that. I'm sure he will clarify this if he wishes to.

Cheers,

Chris

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Chris, I don't see in any definition of Meniere's that indicates that the symptom go into remission. So remission is not a characteristic of Meniere's. There are people who suffer Meniere's symptoms who have never gone through a period of remission. So obviously, remission is not a characteristic of Meniere's. And if it were a characteristic of Meniere's, then there would be a reason for it, which brings us back to my earlier post.

20. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Your logic, as always, brightens my day....