Just made my own lo-so pizza! (And PITA recipe repeated)

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Jenny, Jun 28, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Jenny

Jenny Nystagmus sucks. A lot.

I took some of my pita breads and made personal pizzas with them using no-salt-added tomato sauce spiced up with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, no-salt, and pepper-- and of course mozzerella cheese. That was the only thing on it with any real sodium. The pita has none and the sauce has a negligible amount. I put them in the oven for 5-6 minutes until the cheese looked right and then dug in! Mmmmm! So good!

I'm finding so many uses for my pita bread recipe, it's not even funny. Some of the thinner rolled ones I can use for soft tortillas for tacos or burritos. I can use them as bread for a sandwich, or of course, dip them in some hummus.

I know I have shared this before, but I feel like I've stumbled across a secret life-saver and I feel I must share again!

1 lb Best for Bread Flour (by weight, please!)
    1 tsp No Salt or salt substitute
    1 packet of Rapid Rise yeast
    1 1/4 cups hand-hot water

Mix it all up in a stand mixer until it's in one mass on the bread hook and there's nothing left in the bowl. Take it out and knead it for about 10 minutes until "smooth and elastic" or until it looks reasonable, you know. Take all of your meniere's frustrations out on it! Then put it back in the bowl with a warm moist towel over the top of it and let it rise for an hour. After times up, punch in back down and divide it into 16 pieces. Take an ungreased frying pan and heat it up on medium-high heat. When the pan is good and ready, sprinkle flour on the counter and roll out your first piece. Once nice and thin, it could be anywhere from 5-7 inches in diameter, plop it down on the pan and let it cook for a little under a minute. Flip it over for another 30 seconds or so and then remove to a plate. I will say that as you cook more, you may want to wipe out the pan with dry folded up papertowels (taking care not to burn yourself, of course) as flour will accumulate and start to burn. Some pieces may only take 30 seconds on each side. If you get black spots on the pita, it's on too long and cut down your time. Continue rolling your other pieces until you have a plate full of pitas!

It may take a bit of time, but they are SO WORTH IT! I recommend eating a couple while they're fresh, then freezing the rest. There are no preservatives in them, so unless you can eat all 16 within a matter of 3 or 4 days, they will get furry pretty fast.

I hope this recipe will brighten up someone else's diet as it brightens up mine!

2. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Jenny: Yum...this sounds delicious! I'm going to try it! Thanks a bazillion! :)

3. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

Thank you Jenny I will be trying both recipes!

4. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

So what time do you usually fix dinner???

5. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Leviticus!!! That's cute!!! :)

6. Daize

Daize New Member

Jenny - I am going to try this.. I love pizza and I have not had any for a few years as I bought from our local pizza place and had severe vertigo attack.

With this I can enjoy...Yayyy!