Long time, no see - my progress

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Mar 23, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Halos

Halos New Member

Great to know about the rye bread and allergies. I will definitely stay away.
    Thank you for sharing.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I don't eat bread. I gave up gluten 2 years ago and don't use any gluten substitutes either. I do eat brown Basmati rice and brown rice pasta on occasion.

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I am trying to make changes where I can. Things like brown rice instead of white, lots of salads, kick the diet soda habit ect..... But really this shit is no joke when you got small kids your feeding. I mean I put Artichoke, Sauerkraut, yams, Greek Yogurt on the dinner table and I would have that stuff thrown back at me. They just would not eat it.

Here is my problem, wife works late and she eats dinner at at 5:00 (brings her dinner or gets chicken Caesar or something in cafeteria at work) because she has an unwritten rule with herself, that she does not eat after 6:30 unless we are out to dinner with friends. If she get hungry after 7:00 or so she will drink water or every now and then make some popcorn/plain on the stove.

Here I am 2 kids everyday----- 4 days a week one of them has an activity whether it be karate, tiger scouts, one plays soccer, one plays baseball, CCD at the church ect........ Don't get me started on Homework, These are 6 and 8 years olds. It is sooooo much easier for me and them to just say after activities do you want to go to Chili's, Subway, ect...... for dinner and be done with it. No mess, no dishes ect...... I eat the salads when I am out, but really just how healthy are they? I have been asking for the O/V dressing lately though.

The kids never finish their dinner and I hate throwing things away so I finish theirs and it starts over the next day all beginning with my long morning swim.

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Note,
    I eat a small breakfast and most days skip lunch, lunch for me most days is a large decaf latte with skim milk I grab from work. Dinner I am hungry and eat.

5. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Welcome to motherhood, BD. Lol! I feel your frustrations.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I was a stay at home parent for many years and I cooked all my kids' meals every day. It can be done. Just have to want it and plan for it. I still do it despite a very busy schedule so I know you could too.

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I would love to be a stay at home parent with no responsibilities.

Working like 14 hour days is more like it, often times very late into the night. I just have a home office and take a few hours here and there to get the kids to activities in the evening--- nobody else to do it.
    There is nothing easy about my life, it is constant and the industries I deal with are never closed,
    You have to be available 24/7/365, but I signed up for it so I will carry that cross, not complaining just saying my responsibility is immense along with my 4 other partners.

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'm not a stay at home parent. Just saying that when something is a priority we need to make time for it. If we wait to find time, that ain't gonna happen :D

It's interesting how things just fall into place and time is made when you want something badly enough. Not saying you don't, just saying you have to really want something so badly that you make it happen. You'll know when you are ready for a total food overhaul. That may not be today :)

9. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I hear ya, your right. I can do better.

Be good

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I'm hoping that you were being flippant :/

Of course a stay at home parent or working parent both have unrelenting responsibilities :)

11. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

While talking food and diet I'd like to know why when I eat a meal do I instantly crave sweets? It's a really big craving too.

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I'm both, when my wife was out of town we had that snowstorm here. I was stuck in the house with the kids and I thought I was going to snap, one of the longest weeks of my life. I have never been so happy to send them off to school.

Not easy that's for sure!

13. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

I am looking for a good bread i can substitute for the traditional white or wheat bread. I was looking at the diabetes diet and saw some information on Rye bread and dark breads in particular that interested me. What type of bread do you eat if you eat bread at all.

I eat Ezkiel bread, it is made from sprouted grains.....no wheat.....it is very course and I love it toasted, give it a try. Added bonus it comes in low sodium.

14. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I get cranky if I can't have a bowl of ice cream for dessert. I am trying to go to Sorbet now

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Thanks red, I will look for some tonight at the store.

I like Pita bread also, but that is probably a no no as well?

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What does your meal usually consist of?

17. bluespurs

bluespurs New Member

Im more interested in knowing what you eat intrepid. You do appear to be the healthy sort.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I eat:

Quinoa

Brown Basmati Rice

Legumes (no kidney, pinto or navy beans and no red/yellow lentils)

Peanut butter (just a little bit)

Almond butter

Cashew butter

Cashews, Almonds, Brazil nuts

Yams

All types of green leafy vegetables

Most vegetables except potatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, chili peppers, and maybe a couple of others that set my symptoms off.

Most fruits (no citrus, no pineapple, no canteloupe)

Fish (very limited seafood)

Eggs

Chicken, turkey, little red meat and pork on occasion (no deli meats or cured meats)

Flaxseed, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds

I don't eat:

Gluten and grains (besides the brown Basmati rice)

Dairy

Corn

Soy

Honey, agave, table sugar, maple syrup, any kind of high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweetener

No soda of any sort

No alcohol

I avoid prepackaged foods, most restaurant foods and take out. I also avoid canned goods.

I understand it sounds limiting but I love what I eat and don't feel deprived in any way. I am very fortunate in that I love to cook and experiment with foods from different cultures so my meals vary in taste.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Forgot to add that the only condiments I use are olive oil, coconut oil, Balsamic vinegar, fresh and/or dried herbs, salt and pepper.

20. bluespurs

bluespurs New Member

Crikey. That takes dedication so my hat off to you.

No honey was the only one that suprised me really. Natural honey apparently has many health benefits. Thanks also for taking time to post the list.