Low Salt Daily Menus

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by abra, Nov 2, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. abra

abra New Member

I've just been reading Thornie's daily MAV menu postings...how about some of us posting a low-salt daily intake? I am not eating well, and could use some ideas. Especially for lunch, where I am at a loss.

Last night:

Steak with no seasoning
    baked sweet potato with a bit of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon
    pea pods
    low-so cookie

2. ozcs

ozcs New Member

abra, I found this site very helpful. Hope it helps you and many others.

Http://www.LowSodiumCooking.com

Carol Sue

3. burd

burd New Member

I highly recommend this book: The No-Salt, Lowest Sodium Cookbook, by Donald A. Gazzaniga

Very helpful, and once you learn how to cook lo-so, where to shop for alternatives, etc., and finding a good salt substitute, then you can convert any of your old favorites.

Try shopping here too: www.healthyheartmarket.com
    They have some great lo-so and no-so sauces and mixes to keep around for "fast foods" at home.

For lunches it's great to plan on left-overs from the dinner the night before, to reheat. If you have time for baking home-made low-sodium breads and rolls, then you can make tuna and veggie sandwiches from no-salt added tunas, or make egg salad, or go with cream cheese and veggies. Cook chicken or turkey for great sandwiches or for adding to salads with lo-so dressings, or use regular dressings sparingly by keeping in a dish on the side and just dipping the tip or your fork in it before scooping up some food.
    Or you can use regular store bought breads and use sparingly. Or lower sdoium pitas. Stuff with lots of salad veggie stuff and cold cooked meats from home. Try some of the lo-so sauces you can buy, or make your own ahead of time.
    Just rambling here with some ideas.

4. abra

abra New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I had discovered the pita bread, and it's been a real help. I fix burgers for the family and I can have one too, in pita--and I've found I like it better than buns!

I do try to cook an extra chicken breast or whatever so there is meat for lunch...but I wish there was something quick and simple like granola bars for a quick grab, too.

Thanks for the ideas!

5. PaulG

PaulG New Member

As far as granola bars go...
    At Krogers (in the organic food section) and at Cubs (with the other granola bars) there is a brand called Health Valley. They have granola bars, cereal bars and pop tarts that are lower sodium. What we buy ranges between 20 - 50 grams.

Thought this might help!!! ;)

6. cheese

cheese New Member

My daily lunch is usually a small tin of no added salt salmon, on toasted low/no salt bread. Plenty of omega 3 and very lo so

7. samuel81

samuel81 I miss Caffeine......

That low sodium site
    ruulleeesss!!!!! I am gonna pig out!!!

8. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

LUNCH IS HARD FOR ME TOO. BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT EATING A LARGE BREAKFAST HELPS ME TO EAT LITE AND LESS AT LUNCH. AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK, I MAKE MY LOW SODIUM VEGGIE SOUP AND EAT THAT FOR MOST LUNCHES AND IT IS EASY TO TAKE WITH ME. OTHERWISE, I COOK A BRISKET OR LEAN ROAST IN THE CROCK POT OVER THE WEEK END AND I MAKE SANDWICHES OUT OF THE LEFTOVERS.
    IF YOU WANT TO SPICE UP YOUR STEAK...TRY USING SOME GARLIC AND SOME MRS DASH TOMATO BASIL SEASONING. GOOD LUCK, TWINKLE