Low Sodium foods and condiments

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Intrepid, Jul 8, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE? It's just salt. How much more money does it have to cost to either add less or completely remove it from food products ???

I just want some low sodium or no sodium mustard. Do I really have to buy it from some fancy catalog at a fancy price?

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Probably you do if that's what you need. Some costs are worth the advantageous health benefits.
    I stay away from condiments, ketchup, mustard, relish, because of the high salt content.
    The thing I miss the most are the salad dressings. They are very high sodium and I like a lot!
    Some things are worth the sacrifice. My general health is one of those things that cost doesn't matter if it helps.

3. Allysyn

Allysyn Life is a miracle. I'm glad to be alive!

Hi,

Don't know if this thread is still live but wanted to jump in. This is my first post.

I understand your frustration regarding condiments. I've spent hours reading labels in many grocery stores.

While expensive, (think "carefully crafted" not "expensive") I've discovered some interesting mustards:

1. Mendocino Mustard Hot and Sweet, 0 (zero) mg sodium/teaspoon/5 gms, Fort Bragg, California - popular here in Calif.

2. Tracklements Wholegrain Mustard, 0.27 mg/teaspoon/5 mg, Wiltshire, England - I got it at Whole Foods as well as a local independent grocery here in Oakland (Piedmont Grocery) - MY FAVORITE ONE

3. Tracklements English Beer Mustard, 0.27 mg/teaspoon5mg, Wiltshire, England - I got it at Whole Foods

4. Lowensenf Bavarian Style (Sweet Prepared Bavarian Mustard), 0 mg, product of Germany - but I see it in many stores, maybe even Safeway

5. Westbrae Natural Stoneground Mustard, 0 mg, New York and Boulder, CO - TOO VINEGARY FOR ME :p - I think I got it at a natural foods grocery - could be used as a base for salad dressing since it already has the mustard and vinegar!

My aunt used to make mustard. You could try making your own, too. It ain't rocket science!

Keep trying new foods and tastes. We've crossed a great divide (having MM) and now live a new world. But there IS tasty food in this new world! ;D Keep on trying new stuff and share your discoveries.

Thanks,

Ally

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Thanks, Ally!

I did end up finding a no sodium Dijon mustard. The brand is Temeraire.

5. Lee4343

Lee4343 New Member

Thanks Ally! I'll look up your thread again next time I'm in the grocery store.

6. valsc0508

valsc0508 New Member

Thanks for this list. I have been looking for mustard. Now to find a decent low sodium ketchup and mayo. :)