Mastoidectomy - Endolymphatic Sac Decompression

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Verti_Geaux, May 28, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Don, I would love to chat about it, but I am about to go to dinner with my daughter. Maybe when we return, I'll see if you are still here! Thanks so much!!!

Bob,
    Only bad thing about it is, the surgery will be in Baton Rouge, 60 miles from where I live!!! My friend said we should get a room that night IN Baton Rouge, so we are close to the hospital. I just wish he'd keep me overnight. I have great insurance - USGS Feds - so maybe the doc will do that. I just feel uncomfortable coming home b/c yeah, what if something DOES happen!!!

I'm excited!!!!!!!!!! Not scared yet, but may get scared closer to the time. I just PRAY it works and that I get some relief. Even if it's temporary, I'll take what I can get at this point!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anne-Marie

2. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Hi Anne Marie, I know you said you have a younger daughter and if no one else is at home to help you, maybe they will keep you over. I think my doc would have but I begged to go home. I slept a lot the first few days so keep that in mind too. Lisa :)

3. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Anne Marie - You will definitely not want to do a 60 mile car ride right after surgery. Why don't you just call the doc and tell him you want to be an in-patient? Then you won't have to go anywhere and you'll have some peace of mind right now. Remember - you're paying him.

Bob W

(I thought you meant L. A., not LA - my bad)

4. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Here's a picture of my ear after surgery.....

[​IMG]

As you can see, very little was shaved - just 3/4" or so like Bob (survivedit). I stayed overnight the one night and stayed in town one more day since I had traveled 6hrs to get to the hospital. The long drive home sure was fun! :eek: :-\

All the best to you - hope it goes well and you get years of remission.

Amethyst

5. survivedit

survivedit New Member

bump for Lisa

6. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Ok.... I was feeling fine until I read all of these posts. I am to have my surgery this Friday. It is scheduled for 8:30 am and I was told I should definitely be home by 2:00. These were my post-op instructions:

No driving for 1 week
    Do not make any major plans for 1 week
    Nothing strenuous and no bending or heavy lifting for 1 week

My husband has to leave four days after my surgery for an Air Force school. I planned on having someone come to help me, but not every minute of every day. I do have three children, one a year old. I guess I probably need to reschedule. I am just so torn. My surgeon is all booked until August and my meniere's is so bad lately.

I really thought I would be able to handle it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Lisa

7. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Hi Lisa,
    That is basically what the doctor told me also. I'm scheduled for June 18th. If you are like me, I'd just get someone there to help and go ahead and do it! But you will need a lot of help with the 1 year old. I've had a rough time since Mar. 20th and I need relief! I just want to get it over with!!! How old are your other children? Can they help?

Amyethyst - Thanks for the pic!!! That helps a lot! I don't get freaked out about all this. I just want to know what to expect.

Bob - Thanks for your words of wisdom. I am calling my doctor today to see if I can stay overnight. I'll just feel better and more relaxed about it, if I can do that!

Thanks to all of you!!!!!!!!!

Anne-Marie
    Anne-Marie

8. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

My daughter is almost 13 years old, so she will be a help to me. She can't do everything though. I think/know I spoiled her too much. LOL!!! But, I have lots of friends who will come in and out to help out with food. Also, her dad will help out. I do think I'll ask to spend the night though. I'd rather be pampered at the hospital! LOL!!!
    Anne-Marie

9. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

ESD Surgery Bumped from June 18th to 19th!!!

Yeah, got a call from the surgeon's office today, my surgery has been moved from Mon. the 18th to Tues. the 19th! Ughhhhhhhhhhh Don't these people know that out-of-town people have to arrange for rides, :-\people to care for your child, etc., etc. It just aggrevates me! I want to get this over with and don't want to wait any longer!!!!!!!! ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Sorry, but I need to VENT!!! :mad:

10. Anne Marie i know that must be extremely frustrating but before you know it it'll be over with and behind you. I don't know about you but time flies even with being sick almost everyday - i don't get it buy the hours/days/months/years are getting away from me. Guess cuz i'm getting older.

Hang in there!!!
    It'll all turn out okay. I hope you can stay overnight

Chris

11. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I asked about staying overnight and she said I'd be fine, and I'm like, what if something happens? And she's like, it won't! She said people fly in from all parts of the U.S. to have this doctor operate on them. She said even if something did happen, the doctor would have someone on call here for me to go to. So, who knows?!?!?!?! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

12. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Where do the people that fly in stay?

13. ArizBeth

ArizBeth New Member

I had a shunt placed in my left ear thr a mastoidectomy. They drill out part of the bone behind your ear - flip your ear over and the decompress the sac. This and the shunt are considered placibo and the shunt worked for a little while - good luck :)

14. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I don't know about being a placebo....I don't think docs would risk surgery for a placebo effect! There is a specific purpose to the shunt to drain fluid. Lisa

15. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Ann Marie, I just saw Amethyst's pic- I know they shaved some of my hair but I couldn't tell after. Also, my stitiches were right behind my ear, right where it attaches to the skin. You'd have to pull back the ear to see them, much farther in and less seen than Amethyst's. I suppose they all do it different. :)

16. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I don't know, maybe a hotel??? They are supposed to call me back today or tomorrow, so I'll ask that. I know some hospitals have rooms that they'll rent you. They did when my uncle was dying, my aunt stayed in one. Maybe that's an option. Who knows............. I'd feel better staying though..... : (

Anne-Marie

17. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Hi Lisa!
    Thanks for the input! And everyone else! Any way you put it, it's kinda scarey, but not as scarey as having another full-blown 6-hour vertigo attack! LOL!!! Thanks again!!!

Beth - No matter what the odds, placebo effect, or whatever, I'm willing to risk it to get my life back for a while! Thanks!!!
    Anne-Marie

18. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I understand your hesitation, but I was just so glad to come home, curl up on the couch in my own pajamas and rest. :) Lisa

19. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Sorry, I can't buy the placebo theory.

Bob W

20. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Neither do I. I HAVE read it though, in some of the medical reports on MM. But I just can't see all these Neurotologist cutting people up for placebo effects! Just my opinion though.........
    Anne-Marie