meclizine

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by utalledo, Mar 4, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Does any of you use this med? Does it work for you?
    My dr. Has told me to get this since it's now OTC.

2. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

At some point I think I used it however I dont remember AT ALL!!!

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Made me very tired. And didn't much stop an attack.

--John of Ohio

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Did nothing for me except make me exhausted and dizzier.

5. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Did not help me.

6. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

Well, it's been OTC a very long time. I get the 25 mg. and always cut it in half--if I'm feeling like 'a vertigo' is about to happen or if I'm extremely dizzy and even nauseated. You're all right--it makes one soooo tired.
    However, my Ent doesn't prescribe it--says it's not good for the 'vestibular system', He prefers Valium. I have to tell you--when I was having Vertigo--the whole pill of 25 mg. would stop it pretty quickly! Now I even take 1/4 of a tablet to ease dizziness and mild nausea. You need to know it will make you feel tired and even, in the high dose--probably make you have to 'sleep' but if you are having 'vertigo' all you want is relief! It has helped me during those times. Thank God I haven't had any vertigo since 2012! Still take this on occasion for the above reasons.

7. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I blame that medicine for almost causing a head on collision multiple times in my first 13 years in fighting this illness. I would be falling asleep at the wheel on Old Cutler road trying to stay awake on my way home from work. They use to call me "Sleepy" from the seven dwarfs. LOL. People would be talking to me and I would fall asleep right in front of them....no lie. Xanax saved my sanity from this thing and I found that information here. It works

8. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I found meclizine did not do anything much for a vertigo attack, but for dizziness due to a sinus/ear infection it seems to help me with that.

9. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Im not planning on taking it on reg basis it's just like a just in case thing.

10. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

That is the 'only way' it should be taken. It's not a 'regular basis' type of medication. But--as I said, it has worked for me--several times with Vertigo. I don't like using it for daily dizziness due to the sedative affect it has on me, but do give in and take a 'portion' of it from time to time if things are really bad on a particular day. Just have to realize I'll be feeling 'drugged' and want to sleep when I do. :(

11. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Meclizine did absolutely nothing nothing nothing for me. No impact on the vertigo or the resulting throwing up.

However, when my doctor gave me a prescription for Ativan to take if an attack hit or it felt imminent, that helped a lot. For sure if I get hit out of the blue with the violent vertigo once I take the Ativan (put under the tongue) it shortened my attacks to 1-2 hrs vs 6+ hrs each.

Good luck

12. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Meclizine has never helped me. The only thing that has ever helped me help avoid or survive a serious vertigo attack is Valium.

13. MD1

MD1 New Member

Meclizine works very well for me. It is guaranteed to stop my veritigo attack for the day. I also take Ondansetron for nausea.
    It make me feel very tired and I need at least 2-3 hours of rest after taking the medicine.

-MD1

14. imasteeler

imasteeler New Member

I found a product called Verticalm at Walgreens which is 25MG Meclizine during a series of flare-ups in December and January. I believe it helped to mitigate my vertigo at the time, but it also made me very sleepy. This was a good thing, I think - since I was quite anxious the whole time and could not sleep.

I haven't needed it since February, but I keep it handy just in case...

15. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

I had both meclizine and valium to take as I saw fit. I found that the valium worked better in stopping the dizziness and that the meclizine made me a lot sleepier. I only took them at the beginning signs of dizziness. I only take valium now and I take it under the tongue and let it dissolve.