Migraines and acupuncture

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by jaypr, Feb 16, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Professor Edzard Ernst - the first professor of Complementary Medicine in the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edzard_Ernst ) has a great quote: "Regulating nonsense, still results in nonsense".

A good friend of mine is a homeopath. Studied for three or four years to qualify. Does that make homeopathy anything other than magic water? No, just that she is 'qualified' to dispense it.

2. June-

June- New Member

http://books.google.com/books?id=7S1X3Gw4QfEC&pg=PA335&lpg=PA335&dq=shunt+surgery+sham+placebo&source=bl&ots=kKSUQJhqhe&sig=qQsEPr55P6hlmrCsGnDZ3prr-qg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MSNET97GBIHw0gGb9qWyBw&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=shunt%20surgery%20sham%20placebo&f=false

3. June-

June- New Member

The sham shunt seems like one of those cases where it might not be the placebo effect. Just as a for instance, lets suppose that in this case the cases were viral in origin and the healing process that followed all of the surgeries aused release of certain hormones which accellerated the supression of the virus at the same time as it was healing the woundfrom the surgery.

Sometimes you can make something like this happen with plants. My point is its may not always be a or b, sometimes it may be j or s.

4. egross

egross New Member

This is so interesting. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I've had acupuncture, massage, cranial sacral therapy, trigger pressure point (worked to stop a cluster headache), and they were all relaxing therapies. In the long run they did not cure my migraines. I'm chronic so I'm probably a hard case. I get Botox every three months and that lessens the pain from a 6-10 headache to a 3-6 headache. Doesn't stop a migraine. Still I suffer all the accompanying symptoms. Some migraineurs experience no headache at all, as June said, I think. Migraine is a neurological disease. One of my contributing problems turns out to be a neck disorder called Cervical Dystonia. Occipital Neuralgia is another. Bright lights, odors, lack of sleep, and some foods are triggers. Migraine, I have been finding out, is a live and learn experience. Not a pleasant one. No one can nor should dictate to another what is right or wrong for them. It's theirs to decide and live with, ours to share our experience.

5. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Thanks June, I'll read that tonight.

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

egross,

Migraine is fascinating. Horrible, but fascinating.

Nothing can 'cure' migraine but there is a lot you can do to control it. Trigger avoidance is one - like you say, getting enough sleep (and a regular sleep schedule) avoiding certain foods etc or for some of us prophylactic medication or abortive meds (the latter don't work for me).

It's interesting that you mention that the various therapies you tried - acupuncture, massage etc were relaxing. That's excellent. I for one know that stress can either bring on an attack or keep me locked in, and I don't think I'm alone in that. So anything you can do to relax, whether that be listening to music, having a massage or meditating, whatever - those are all good things.

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

No doubt. I found them relaxing too but then again, any time I am in a semi-dark room, with soft quiet music, a comfortable pillow under my head and nothing to do for 45 minutes to an hour other than close my eyes and take a nap....I tend to relax.

As you said, to each his/her own. I would not discourage anybody from trying acupuncture but I wouldn't waste my money and time on it again. I did give it a try and I think I would have kept on going but it was the practitioner who said there was nothing else she could do for me after 12 sessions.

8. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Good point - is it the acupuncture or is the treatment experience which is having the relaxing effect? I agree with you that it is the treatment experience - nice, caring person, soft music, time out, lying down etc etc If it really is the acupuncture (or any other CAM treatment) that is relaxing you should be able to have the acupuncture done stuck in a traffic jam with horns tooting, loud rap music blaring from cars all around you, kids screaming in the back seat and with the car's air con broken on a stinking hot day.

9. egross

egross New Member

Yes, and it's a lot - at least for me it was - of money. The massages were wonderful, they were $100 a session. The cranial sacral was $85. The acupuncture was $90. The Botox - $25. What worked the best, or should I say, what REALLY worked? The Botox, and it lasts three months. Now, I'm very fortunate because I have good health insurance, and my copay is $25. Out of pocket it's probably $1,000+. That's just a guess on my part.

10. studio_34

studio_34 Guest

I'm curious, what conditions did your friend think medicine was a dismal failure for but where Chinese herbs and needles was successful?

11. studio_34

studio_34 Guest

Reiki? :D

12. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Cooking and sewing?

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

14. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Embalming the diseased.

They do euthanize don't they? I'm sure there some herbs and needles used there as well.

15. studio_34

studio_34 Guest

:D

16. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Do you mean the deceased? The diseased might just need a dose of anti biotics and would probably be pretty pissed off if they were prematurely embalmed.

You run funeral parlours right? This is pretty basic stuff...only embalm people who are DEAD.

17. June-

June- New Member

Bulldogs needs to turn off the auto correct. I hate when it does that to me.

18. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

June: I hate this I Phone it does it to me all the time.

How do you turn it off?

Are you watching the debate tonight?
    We don't always agree on politics but as a registered Independent I am not too impressed with any of the Republicans! I like Paul but he has no shot.
    I usually don't watch but will tonight.

Help with the auto correct June?

19. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Embalmer for 2012!

20. June-

June- New Member

I turned it off on ipad. Try going to settings and look around. I will try to remember where I found it.

Can't watch the debate, will not be home. It is great theatre although as a former R, I find it depressing that the party has turned in to what it has lately. I won't comment further because I don't want to start a political conversation which will turn out badly.