My conversation with Dr. Gacek

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by angrychicken, Oct 25, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jimmykicker

jimmykicker New Member

I think a lot of how much hearing you get back depends on how long you have had it untreated...and of course if you are a viral case. However, I am sure that it would help the tinnitus and the dizzies. Even if it restored 20% of your hearing wouldn't that be worthwhile to you yanksgirl? They are proven safe for long term use too...so why not? Risk is minimal. My recommendation? The Lysine, Lemon Bios, and the AVs are the best combo of all of that stuff...for me anyway. :)

2. msprygada

msprygada New Member

Colin, is the daily quantity right? You start out with 3000 mg a day for 3 weeks. Then drop to 2000 mg for another 3 weeks. And then backup to 3000 mg daily forever? I thought that I read that Dr. Gacek put patients on 1000 mg to 500 mg daily as a maintenance forever?

Thanks,
    Matt

3. angrychicken

angrychicken New Member

Hi Matt,

You are absolutely correct - the ongoing dosage should have been 1000mg / day. That's a cut/paste typo.

Regards,

Colin

4. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

Well, I did it! I typed up a letter to my primary doctor, enclosed your report, colin, on the treatment given by dr. Gacek and also added a copy of my email to him and his response and his responsed to me. Just put it all in the mail.
    So, I will 'report back' as to the decision my primary makes in prescribing the anti-viral medication or having me just have Dr. Gacek call it in.

5. angrychicken

angrychicken New Member

Good luck yanksgirl!

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

fingers crossed!!

7. June-

June- New Member

Good luck!

8. msprygada

msprygada New Member

And your symptom free today? For how long?

Thanks, Matt

9. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Today my head is a 'mess'. I never know if it's the morning anxiety thing and depression causing it or the MM. The thing is it is worse in the mornings usually but lasts all day with only relief coming when I sit back in my recliner or lay down--but I don't do the lying down often. Just do what needs doing, try to keep going and sit back when I absolutely have to. I do hope, the anti-virals will help. I'll keep you posted.

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Have you tried the new and improved/updated version of JOH?
    It has helped many people and has a cure rate approaching 90%.

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

No, my regimen (http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf), unfortunately, does not have a "cure rate approaching 90%." Oh, if that were so.

There are no cures for Meniere's Disease. Once you get it, you have it to your last day.

But you don't want the symptoms for that period. As with any and all other successful Meniere's treatments, my regimen merely suppresses symptoms, allowing (at the current calculation) about 86% of regimen users to lead a life absent of or essentailly free from the disease's debilitating side effects.

Good enough.

--John of Ohio

12. Johan J

Johan J New Member

I visited my doctor today. He finally gave in and gave me the prescription for valacyclovir. I got the Dr Gacek dosage. Apparently, valacyclovir has been granted for long term use in Sweden.

I am very happy right now! ;D

13. msprygada

msprygada New Member

14. Johan J

Johan J New Member

I was at the ear clinic, yes.

15. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

Please keep us posted. I truly hope it helps you! I am waiting for an answer from my primary--after sending him the post from this board and the email from Dr. Gacek, offering to prescribe anti-virals for me if my primary would not.
    I prefer my primary monitor my meds--as he knows me well and all the meds I take. But, will have to decide if he says he just 'won't'! We'll see. I'll let you know. For others here on the board whose doctor's refuse and who want to try the anti-virals, you can also email Dr. Gacek, telling him your history and I feel he would also offer to call your pharmacy and prescribe them for you--if he feels they would help. He offered to do that for me. The email address is in the first post of this subject 'My visit with Dr. Gacek'! Good luck!

16. msprygada

msprygada New Member

I guess I am lucky to say that my primary does not know me very well in that up un till now (52) I have been very healthy and never needed to see him. So as long as I can get one of them to prescribe it and then hope that it works, I will be thrilled. But I guess I would rather my EMT do it so that if it works for me that he will prescribe it for his other patients and I will have helped out other fellow MM suffers from this nasty disease.

I go see my EMT on Tuesday so hopefully that goes well or it's off to the primary doc. And if not him then, an email goes off to Doc Gacek. Did you just send him an email out of the clear blue? And he was willing to prescribe you an AV?

Thanks, Matt

17. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

I was surprised that he offered too. But grateful. Still would prefer my primary do it so if I have any side affects I can talk to him about it. And also so he can pass on any success I hope to have to my Ent and other patients he has with Meniere's. Yes, the email address is on the original post here by AngryChicken! Good luck. I emailed twice but when he answered he said he did not recall getting my others and said he usually answers emails right away. I told him all my symptoms and all the treatments I'd had up to now--plus my age, etc. I asked for a referral to an ent in my area but he did not know of any who treat with anti-virals in my area. Let me know how your contact with him turns out if you decide to do so. thanks

18. msprygada

msprygada New Member

Good idea on the email.....asking for a reference locally. I live in a not so big area so maybe he would take pity on me and do that. Will keep you posted on my Tuesday ENT visit to see what he says.

Thanks,
    Matt

19. Rusty

Rusty New Member

So they are getting audiogram results now, not just cessation of vertigo?

20. June-

June- New Member

All my improvement was in hearing, very obvious in the audiogram. I also had great improvement in distortion which meant the world to me. I think antivirals are perhaps better known for hearing improvements than vertigo though happily many here report cessation of vertigo too.