Nitrite and Nitrate-free Processed Meats, and No Msg

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by burd, Dec 13, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. burd

burd New Member

This subject comes up from time to time, and for those sensitive to nitrites and nitrates and msg and all that crap usually think they have to give up processed meats. (it trips my MAV symptoms...dizziness, ear fullness,tinnitus, brain fog, etc.) You don't have to give the stuff up, as there as some really great substitutes available, and most of them are much better than the brand name stuff sold in regular grocery stores.

I've talked to others in pm's about it before, and food subjects have come up lately on the forum, so I decided to share what I have discovered. All these companies have "safe" bacon, hotdogs, deli cuts, sausage (links and bulk), etc. plus lots of other stuff. I find these at healthy food markets.

Lets talk dogs. The absolute best hotdog experience I have ever had is Saags. They have seasoned sausages, which are great for other things too, but fried or broiled as a hotdog is soooo delicious I swear it's nearly good enough for a date night. ;D My favorites of theirs are Basil Cracked Pepper and Chicken Apple.
    http://www.saags.com/pc/viewProducts.asp?Category=c3.Naturals%20Sausages

Applegate's dogs are a good yummy basic hotdog. I like their deli cuts too.
    http://www.applegatefarms.com/products/hdbs.aspx?fid=100&id=480,938,944
    http://www.applegatefarms.com/products/productcategory.aspx?fid=102&id=478

Beeler's uncured processed meats are delicious, mostly their sausage (breakfast and Italian). I prefer Applegate's hogdogs over Beeler's though but they are still good dogs.
    http://www.beelerspurepork.com/Products/BeelerProducts.htm

Niman Ranch also has uncured hotdogs. I haven't been able to try them because they contain dairy products, but, Niman Ranch bacon is the best bacon I have ever had in my life, and their deli cuts are delicious, so I'll bet their hotdogs are just as good.
    http://store.nimanranch.com/

Then there's Organic Prairie uncured meats. Their hotdogs are good too along with their bacon and deli cuts.
    http://www.organicprairie.coop/products/overview2/

I have a feeling I am leaving someone out.
    There's some really really good food out there. Also too, Hormel now has their line of uncured deli cuts, including pizza meats.
    http://www.hormelnatural.com/products/categories/default.aspx I buy Hormel products at almost any supermarket.

Speaking of pizza, I have read that Pizza Hut will be introducing nitrate and nitrite-free meats soon if they haven't already.

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. Spark

Spark New Member

I read somewhere that "natural flavoring" is another phrase for nitrates. Does anyone know if this is true? Because I bought some great natural sausages that are "nitrate and nitrite free" but have natural flavoring. Any thoughts or info?

4. egross

egross New Member

Thank you Burd. It's great to know there are these additive free foods I've thought were no longer to be in my diet. But I've been thinking that my days of eating pizza were over because of the cheeses (aged) and crust (fresh yeast). Have those not caused a problem for you? It sure would be nice to have pizza and not worry about migraine.

5. burd

burd New Member

egross,
    I can't have any kind of cheese because anything even remotely connected to dairy foods will set me off, as right as rain. Yeast doesn't set me off. I eat pizza, without cheese. I buy one and bring it home, add my own 'safe" meats. I haven't had cheese for so long, if the crust and sauce is good, I never miss it. When making my own pizza, I will make a white garlic/black pepper sauce (non-dairy) to use instead of cheese, which is also what I do for my awesome lasagna.

6. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

Thanks Burd. Sounds good.

7. dizzydeac

dizzydeac New Member

Thanks burd! I was wondering about the Hormel products I have seen advertised on TV. My only concern is sodium is a trigger for me too. I didn't see the sodium amounts when I looked on the website for Hormel products.

8. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

9. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Burd.....am I losing it,How come in a few ingredients it says sodium nitrite?

10. burd

burd New Member

LW, which ones? Within each company they have a number of different products and recipes can really vary. Because they have some "safe" products doesn't mean they all are. Some will have dairy products in them too, some don't. So even if I am familiar with a "safe" product, I check each time I buy to be sure. And too, once in a while someone will change their ingredients and no longer be safe so it's important to do a quick check before buying.

I just discovered Oscar Meyer Angus hotdogs that are nitrite and nitrate free. Be sure to check labels. Only one of their hotdog products is nitrate/nitrite-free, the rest have it.

11. joy

joy New Member

Have you tried them? I got a pack in the freezer & will probably thaw them out this weekend. Just wondered how different they taste ... & if they truly ARE 'safer' for us than regular dogs.

12. burd

burd New Member

Yes! OMG I have been making up for lost years without hotdogs. They are delicious!!! I don't boil hotdogs, I toast them in a skillet. Smoky and so yummy! They taste better than regular dogs.

13. joy

joy New Member

We usually grill them on our George-Foreman-ish griller ... I think it's a Hamilton Beach. It gets the job done on regular ol' dogs though. Aaron cooks them & I get to smell them. Torture.

14. studio_34

studio_34 Guest

Hi Burd,

I stumbled across your post in a Google search when I was researching nitrates and migraine. I wasn't aware that there was the possibilty of finding a hotdog or sausage without some sort of nitrate or other preservative in it.

I've had migraine vertigo now for quite a while and have missed these sorts of foods in my diet. I used to love sausages and hotdogs but now they really make me ill. I was wondering if there are any others here form Australia that might have a clue about this? Hot dogs here are different from American dogs (I think the US ones are alot better).

Thanks for any input.

James :)

15. burd

burd New Member

Hi Larrikin.
    I don't know what kinds of foods you can get in Australia, but I am hoping you are able to find nitrite-free processed meats. Have you checked in specialty stores or departments in stores that cater to natural foods? If not the specialty brands that I can find here, I am wondering with Oscar Meyer being such a huge brand name if those are found internationally, now that Oscar Meyer has nitrite/nitrate-free products available besides their regular products. You have my curiosity up. Let me know if you find them or another brand that cures their products naturally.
    Nice to meet you James.

16. vanisdizzy

vanisdizzy Im sorry we met here, but glad to meet you.

These dogs are great, thanks.

17. June-

June- New Member

The OM nitrate free dogs, I can't wait to try them. I hope they have them in my area.

18. vanisdizzy

vanisdizzy Im sorry we met here, but glad to meet you.