Peanut Butter substitute

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by joy, Jan 31, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. joy

joy New Member

Is there such a critter?

2. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

I have no idea ... I don't use peanut butter. Is there something in peanut butter you can't do anymore, or just looking for lo-so? You may want to try www.healthyheartmarket.com. They have lots of lo-so items such as sauces, condiments, etc. You may find something there? (Or try a local organic or health food store - I live in "the boonies" so I have to order online).

3. twogirlsandaboy

twogirlsandaboy New Member

I LOVE peanut butter! It is as important in my house as toilet paper. (oops, am I sharing too much??? :))

Here is what I have found: I use Whole Foods no salt added peanut butter that doesn't have sodium in it. If you are looking for alternatives try cashew butter, almond butter, sunflower butter (that has sodium), or soy butter (sodium as well). My fave is cashew butter but it's pricey.

Does that answer your question?

4. connordr

connordr Me with grandkids

Here in the Carolinas Fresh Market sells pure ground peanuts. Yo put your container under the spout and flick the switch to grind them yourself. They also sell ground almonds the same way. The almonds are ,ore expensive, but you might want to try it.
    Are you avoiding peanuts? or just the additives?
    DC

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Sesame butter is pretty darn good.

6. joy

joy New Member

The infamous "Foods to avoid" list for M.A.D./M.A.V. says no nuts - including peanuts, cashews, etc. Dr. Goebel didn't say a low-sodium diet would affect me one way or the other.

As soon as I feel like this new med he gave me is 'leveling out', maybe I'll try another peanut butter sandwich & see what happens.

7. jrw

jrw New Member

Health food stores frequently stock no sodium peanut butter. Our grocery store sells the no sugar, natural Holsum brand that has 120 mg sodium per 2 tbsp. But I have seen a no salt variety at the local food co-op that sells health foods.

8. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Poor You--with the No Nuts Dx...I'd go nuts without nuts for sure!

9. joy

joy New Member

;D

I'm not giving up without a fight ... i.e., without testing myself to see if peanuts really do bother me.
    :)

10. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Yes, Joy I think a lot of this stuff is different for everyone. Maybe try one nut one day...another the next, and see what happens. Also maybe 'seeds' are considered O.K. You can try pumpkin or sunflower seed butter perhaps? Something tells me Almonds may be easier to take...Why I don't know! Almonds also have high levels of calcium which are very good for us dames. I have bought pistachio butter as a real treat-Yum. Nuts are so healthful and easy to bring along as a low salt food. I hope you figure it out-Yvonne

11. joy

joy New Member

Pistachio butter? Hmmmm ... sounds pretty good! I don't remember if seeds were on the list - don't think so. Something I'll have to look into! Thanks Yvonne!

12. verti

verti New Member

I use organic almond butter occ.

13. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Joy-If you can eat seeds go for Tahini. That is great. You can mix with honey...or use as a base for hummus. It is good as a peanut butter substitute in a sandwich with jam too. You can put it in the blended with ice water and lemon juice with a little garlic and parsley for a killer good salad dressing too.-Yvonne

14. joy

joy New Member

I once thought about making my own hummus but didn't know where to find this Tahini stuff. I guess I'll look into that further. Sounds good!

15. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

In any health food store, and depending where you live the major supermarket may have it too. If not go to some middle eastern or Israeli store if there are any where you are. To make the hummus, add mashed chickpeas to the tahini, ice water, lemon juice, garlic and parsley blend. It makes a huge difference if you put these into a blender or food processor first. You put the tahini in first then slowly add the ice water with lemon juice. It turns white and frothy...you stop when it is pretty thick but like a thick shake. If you add roated eggplant instead of the chickpeas you get 'Baba Ganoush'. Both are great. If you can't find Tahini you can probably find it on line too.

16. jrw

jrw New Member

You don't need tahini to make hummus. Cook and mash the chick peas, add lemon juice, either oil or a touch of water, then your distinctive flavorings. I'm made it with dill, or with mustard, garlic, cumin, or whatever you like.

17. joy

joy New Member

Wow ... sounds like I'm gonna be in the kitchen this weekend. Thanks guys!