pizza question

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by xanthian, Apr 2, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. xanthian

xanthian New Member

I have to eat a few pizza parlor slices once in while. Pizza has always been my absolute favorite food. I do make my own lo-so pizza occasionlly, but honestly, as much as I tell myself it's good ,all recipes I've tried suck.Just not the same. My question is how much sodium roughly is in a slice? I usually have 2plain slices and a big salad. I keep lo-so generally and wondeing how bad I'm straying away from my usual 1500mgs a day.thanks in advance.

2. amberini

amberini New Member

http://www.annecollins.com/sodium_diet/sodium-in-pizza.htm

sorry...

3. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Yeah....doesn't look good...sorry.... :-\

Pizza Sodium (mg)
    Domino's - 14" Hand tossed pizza - 2 slices - Pepperoni = 1445mg
    Domino's - 14" Hand tossed pizza - 2 slices - Vegi = 1370mg
    Domino's - 14" Thin Crust - 1/4 pizza - Ham = 1465mg
    Domino's - 14" Thin Crust - 1/4 pizza - Italian Sausage = 1515mg
    Domino's - 12" Deep Dish pizza - 2 slices - Cheddar Cheese = 1215mg
    Domino's - 12" Deep Dish pizza - 2 slices - Beef = 1340mg
    Donato's - Serious Meat pizza, per slice = 2535mg
    Donato's - Hawaiian pizza, per slice = 1735mg
    Pizza Hut, cheese, pan pizza, medium slice = 590mg
    Pizza Hut, pepperoni lovers, pan pizza, medium slice, = 760mg
    Pizza Hut, cheese, stuffed crust, large slice = 1090mg
    Pizza Hut, chicken supreme, stuffed crust, large slice = 1110mg
    Pizza Hut, cheese, thin crispy, medium slice = 590mg
    Pizza Hut, italian sausage, thin crispy, medium slice = 800mg
    Godfather's, cheese, original crust, medium slice = 340mg
    Godfather's, combo, golden crust, medium slice = 560mg

Frozen Cheese pizza
    Tony’s Original Crust 780 mg per 1/3 pizza
    Celeste Pizza for One 1,080 mg per pizza

Frozen Pepperoni pizza
    Totinos Crisp Crust 870 mg per half-pizza
    Freshetta Hand-Tossed 1,350 mg per half-pizza

4. amberini

amberini New Member

Every once in a while you could/should indulge in 1 piece just so you don't feel deprived. Maybe you can save up on sodium, sort of like on weight watchers, saving points for a special occasion.
    Try to not let the disease dictate what you can or cannot eat. Make it YOUR choice instead. It's about control, if you feel you are in control it tends to help make us feel better about things in general.
    When we feel we cannot control something, it can become a monster.

Here is a recipe for a lower sodium pizza. Maybe it will help in your transition.

http://www.recipezaar.com/low-sodium-pizza-359192

5. AA4PC

AA4PC My MIB phase!

All those numbers go out of the window if someone, some twisted, heinous, cruel, and wacko person orders Anchovies on their Pizza. Anchovies are packed in salt and cured in it, and then they can them in some kind of oil so none of the salt can weep out and dilute. I HATE them anyhow, but even with God's help I will never understand why someone would put friggin BAIT on a pizza! ;)

One lousy anchovy would be about three days recommended intake of sodium for me. Also in your Lo-So quest, look out for dishes that contain MSG (The s is for sodium) as in Monosodium Glutamate. I ate at an oriental restaurant one time ( I haven't gone again.) and after I ate there I could feel my lungs filling up with excess fluid caused by all the sodium, MSG included. I plan to never go there again.

Best regards,

John T. Mood
    AA4PC

6. amberini

amberini New Member

No self respecting person would ever put bait on a pizza. However, they do make good dog treats.
    Ditto for pineapple, it has no place on a pizza!!!

7. DondiDo

DondiDo New Member

"No self respecting person would ever put bait on a pizza."

Amberini that is too funny! ;D ;D ;D ;D

8. jrw

jrw New Member

If I get pizza it's from Pizza Hut since they're the only chain that really accommodates my wishes. I order the vegetarian and ask for very light on the cheese. That way I can have 2 slices. Otherwise I'm lucky to get one slice. It's just too salty with pepperoni, black olives, or sausage.

9. Cath

Cath New Member

I've been making a vegetarian pizza using ricotta cheese. With some good quality home prepared vegetables, BBQ eggplant, char grilled capsicums, grilled zucchini, it's really lovely.

10. saltyl

saltyl New Member

I've just learned how to make chicken-garlic pizza (similar to Round Table`s version). I've gotten recipes online for a bread-machine dough (no salt), and the garlic sauce (also no salt but garlic has some sodium). I buy the fresh mozzarella at Trader Joe's (very low sodium) and saute or grill the chicken and chop it up and sprinkle it over the sauce and cheese, then top the whole thing with a sprinkle of Parmesano Reggiano (35 mg/serving at Trader Joe's.

I don't know what I'd do without Trader Joe! :D

11. neptune

neptune 'ol egghead me

And also, you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get away with. I've been getting away with murder lately.

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

ssshhhh no names Neptune.. don't want to know anything about any murders we have enough going on although some of us might not remember who you said anyway so.. shoot !
    xanthian=- I'd comment on the pizza but it looks like you got your answer..
    I'm going fishing tomorrow send me the bait!!!

13. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

AA4PC, that is sooooooooooo funny! Bait!

hahahaha! In the movies they always have pizza with extra anchovies. Gawd, have you ever eatne an anchovie? bleck~!

14. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I tried to make homemade rustic pizzas on the BBQ....it looked like a giant bird had pooped on the grill..... :p Sort of tasted that way, too, if I could imagine what bird poop tastes like...... :D :D :D

15. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

MMmm........pizza! I wish.

16. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Wish i had the bait..i didn't catch any fish

17. Daize

Daize New Member

OMG!!! on the list of pizza and salt mg. WOW!!!

18. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

There are a number of thin crust pizzas in the grocery, I think Paul Newman's brand, California Pizza Kitchen, have 600-700 mg/serving with three servings/pizza. If you split it with someone, then you'll get around 1000 mg or less for your half. If you're on a 2000 mg/day, that's a reasonable amount. If you only eat the 1/3 that constitutes a serving, then it's less. The margarita and bbq chicken and some of the other pizzas are pretty good. Of course, you'll have to pass on the pepperoni.

Unfortunately, they're not the big chewy gooey pizza parlor pizzas, they're cracker thin crusts (which I like) and don't have a lot of topping, but they taste good.

19. drhum

drhum New Member

Amy's makes a low sodium marinara that I use for pizza which if very good. OK it's not pizza hut, but it's way better than no pizza!

20. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

The best way to do the pizza thing is to make it yourself. There are many ways to make pizza while cutting out the salt. The problem is that you have to make most of the items from scratch (fresh tomato, home made dough). What I do is find a pizza recipe and work to alter it to cut down the bad items. It takes time and patients but I am also a pizza lover and wanted to continue my trends.

Good Luck to you!