Pollen Count Very High - MM Kickin My Butt

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Vicki615, Apr 22, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Happygrace - here is an idea. Why don't you try heavy, like 15 or 20 grams a day of Vitamin C which also has a anti-viral effect. When I was having bad vertigo last summer it stopped the attacks. I am thinking maybe it can help the Valtrex. It can be a bit uncomfortable with gas and bloating so I stopped once I got the antivirals, which pretty much did the trick for me (but not as a cure, just relief of symptoms)

2. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Hi Gracie

The limited oral bioavailability of acyclovir necessitates frequent dosing. Valaciclovir, the l-valyl ester of acyclovir, is rapidly and almost completely converted to acyclovir in vivo and gives three- to fivefold increases in acyclovir bioavailability.

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

But for some reason I do not tolerate valaciclovir well and so far over over a year tolerate acyclovir fine.

here is a study comparing the two for herpes zoster, where I got that explanation:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7492102

Valaciclovir compared with acyclovir for improved therapy for herpes zoster in immunocompetent adults

Abstract

Acyclovir treatment of acute herpes zoster speeds rash healing and decreases pain and ocular complications. The limited oral bioavailability of acyclovir necessitates frequent dosing. Valaciclovir, the l-valyl ester of acyclovir, is rapidly and almost completely converted to acyclovir in vivo and gives three- to fivefold increases in acyclovir bioavailability. In a randomized, double-blind, multicenter study, the safety and efficacy of oral valaciclovir given at a dosage of 1,000 mg three times daily for 7 or 14 days and oral acyclovir given at a dosage of 800 mg five times daily for 7 days were compared in immunocompetent adults aged > or = 50 years with herpes zoster. Patients were evaluated for 6 months. The intent-to-treat analysis (1,141 patients) showed that valaciclovir for 7 or 14 days significantly accelerated the resolution of herpes zoster-associated pain (P = 0.001 and P = 0.03, respectively) compared with acyclovir; median pain durations were 38 and 44 days, respectively, versus 51 days for acyclovir. Treatment with valaciclovir also significantly reduced the duration of postherpetic neuralgia and decreased the proportion of patients with pain persisting for 6 months (19.3 versus 25.7%). However, there were no differences between treatments in pain intensity or quality-of-life measures. Cutaneous manifestations resolved at similar rates in all groups. Adverse events were similar in nature and prevalence among groups, and no clinically important changes occurred in hematology or clinical chemistry parameters. Thus, in the management of immunocompetent patients > or = 50 years of age with localized herpes zoster, valaciclovir given at 1,000 mg three times daily for 7 days accelerates the resolution of pain and offers simpler dosing, while it maintains the favorable safety profile of acyclovir.

4. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I think EVERYBODY with hydrops has allergies.

Sinus rinse helps inflammation. My doc also prescribes Muipricin, an antibiotic ointment. I dissolve it in the sinus rinse. It helps prevent sinus infection.

Feel better soon!
    Ron

5. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Vicki-glad it's going well for you! It's so weird that Dr. G said that-maybe it's because of the difference between acyclovir and valacylovir. It was just a month ago that I asked him (granted, that was BEFORE allergy season) and he said not to up the dose. I wonder if the answer would be different now? I did SO much better the last 3 days on the higher dose!

Thankfully, so far, not too terrible today on the lower dose. I did have to take a bit of valium this morning to ward off wooziness starting, but it worked. And yes, I did up the lysine again today-I always take higher lysine when I'm on the lower dose of valtrex.

Donamo-I already take about 6000 mg/day of C, but I just got a buffered kind so I can hopefully take more w/out it bothering my stomach so much. I plan to increase now that I have it here! Thanks!

Also, I have to agree with Intrepid-I feel like hard workouts have helped a lot! It's not easy (or even possible) to do them if there are acute MM attacks going on though. I think that's part of why I got frstrated this wkend when vertigo came back-I don't want it to interfere w/ my workouts, which help so much in so many ways (ear circulation, stress reduction, etc)

Here's praying that we all get through this spring dizzy-free!

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thanks! Ron, it did pass with the help of the extra 400 mg and the sinus rinse :)

7. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

HappyGrace it could be due to the different AV, or because I have been on a maintenance dose for many many months.

8. Gracie

Gracie New Member

. Thank you Vicki.

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'm glad someone else finds relief through intense exercise! My nose clears up almost instantly as does my head and my ears. It's weird. Of course you have to not be dizzy but I'd rather work out than take a round of antibiotics.

I was just reading up on it and seems that elevated body temperature plus increased blood circulation contribute.

10. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I used to be 100% on board with the intense exercise / sweating to combat meniere's...it also makes us feel good, healthy, and like we're doing something to fight it.

However recently I've been noticing that if i work out hard i actually feel a pressure in the ear, as if blood is rushing to my ear. This is different from the Meniere's ear fullness sensation. Like you know how when you work out you feel blood rush to your head / face? In addition to that I feel it in my ear. After working out it goes away and I end up with the standard Meniere's ear pressure.

Anybody else get that?

11. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Yeah, I get that, too. I did some yard work a couple of days ago--moderate to strenuous exercise. I got that feeling of pressure in the head, and my ears acted up with pressure and roaring. It's a problem, because exercise is a good thing. But I spend so much time lying down due to the dizzies, it's hard to get up and running

Bless all and curse Meniere's,
    Ron

12. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Vicki, glad you are feeling better!

13. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thank you nicmger I hope you are as well!

14. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Hi Vicki-checking in to see how you're doing-glad it's helping!

I'm doing ok too so far thankfully back on the lower dose.

15. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

So glad you are doing okay on the lower dose! FINGERS CROSSED it continues for you. I feel good, back to my "new normal" self :) thanks so much for asking.

16. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Last few days have been good. No balance issues, brain fog, vertigo, ringing. Ringing is at a minimal and hearing is as good (or bad) as it was so not worse. Too early to say that it is due to the a/v but for sure I appreciate the hiatus! Glad that we are both doing a bit better!

17. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Great to hear! nicgmer, I felt relief in 4 days after starting AV's and it continued to get better and better ever since, I am keeping my fingers crossed it is the AV's making you feel better!