Pot roast stew

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by hollymm, Nov 1, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I usually make a wonderful pot roast stew - BUT - the last time I made it, I used frozen roast meats that had been in the freezer for months. When I sat down with my yummy bowl of stew, I discovered it tasted like... good dog food!! So, the dogs have been enjoying it mixed in with the dry food I feed them. They loved it!!

2. jrw

jrw New Member

We're usually able to keep beef or venison in our freezer up to a year. You have to double wrap it to keep out frost bite. If you're getting an off odor, maybe try defrosting and cleaning your freezer along with double wrapping.

Glad your dogs enjoyed the treat. :D

3. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yea, I used to buy the 'family' sized meat and wrap it myself. I would put it in a freezer bag and then suck the air out of it. It did help it stay fresher for a long, long time. I need to start doing that again. Thanks for reminding me jrw =~)

4. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Doesn't anybody have anything to say about their pot roast stew?

5. Tara

Tara New Member

I've got stew going in the crockpot as we speak. Beef, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, potatoes. Toss in pot, sprinkle pepper, and add a can of Guinness and some water to cover. Wait impatiently, then eat.

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Hey, what about the peas?? ;D

7. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

That is exactly what I have in the crock pot at the moment, with long slices of green bell pepper. Didn't think about putting any beer in it though. Wonder if it would mix with Mrs. Dash?

8. Tara

Tara New Member

I bet it would.

9. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

And celery too, forgot that.

10. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Half a can of beer just went into the pot...

11. Tara

Tara New Member

Mmmmm. Best.Stew.Ever

12. tm53

tm53 New Member

Stealing your recipe. Just to let you know...

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Great, now I have a taste for pot roast stew and ain't got no roast (or potatoes, or onions, or corn, or collard greens or bacon or bell peppers or celery or PEAS!). I do, however have cayenne pepper, salt, basil, garlic, worcestershire sauce, pepper, onion powder, bay leaves and chives. I know, weird huh?

14. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

a spice stew? Ewww, gotta have some meat and taters in there somewhere.

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I think I mentioned roast and potatoes. If not, my sincere apologies...

16. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant you didn't have any roast or taters, only spices. My mistake!

17. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Hey, that's ok we all read what we read...