Rohatsu - sometimes a little miserable just doesn't cut it.

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by Michael, Dec 11, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Re-posting this here at Intrepid's recommendation. it's up on fun and games too.

Rohatsu is practiced every December to commemorate the event of the Buddha’s enlightenment. It’s the tradition in Soto Zen that on a night in early December we sit up all night outside like the Buddha did. I realized in 15 yrs a practicing Zen Buddhist (and victim of dozens of other retreats) I had never completed this sit (had schedule conflicts, wasn’t in town, had a gig, whatever). This year I was bound and determined to complete Rohatsu. Our Abbott procured a beautiful old farm property about an hour outside of town. Another monk and I opted to sit outside next to stream (the other monk, Jonathan was about 40 feet away across the stream). Bucolic! Idyllic! scenic! Right ? wrong. By midnight it was 31 degrees and I have never been more uncomfortable in my life. I mean we are talking altitude sickness in Nepal miserable. Meniere’s attack miserable. What was failed to be taken into account was that the Buddha was sitting in the tropics. The rest of the people on retreat retreated to the house. Jonathan and I stuck it out. At about 4 am everything got funny. By 6 am when this lunacy stopped, I was thinking “b*tch, is that the best you got?” I realized soon after that I was in the early stages of hypothermia. Obviously, I did not reach enlightenment. I was however, glad I stuck it out.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I repeat....that thought was enlightenment.

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

It's so sad that it has to be like this.

But, I understand, too.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Michael - what brought you to Zen Buddhism or what brought Zen Buddhism to you?

5. Michael

Michael New Member

I was raised Jewish and as I got older I felt increasingly lost in it or from it. I had been interested in Buddhism and had read a bit and even tried sitting some. I used to compete in martial arts and the tournements are always opened with a prayer, almost always protestant. One tournement roughly 15 yrs ago was opened by a Zen Priest. He only asked us to sit down and be quiet. No mention of deities or belief or asking for blessings just sit down and be quiet. I was floored and followed the priest out afterwards. Within a year I had taken my initiate vows and haven't looked back since.

6. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I know nothing at all about Buhddism, it sounds very intriguing.
    I think its ancient
    It sounds like something, peaceful, and deep
    It sounds like its a deep connection with your inner self and beliefs.
    It actually sounds wonderfully peaceful.

Can you expand?
    I find these ideas very stimulating.

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Similar experience. Over a decade ago. The only instruction was, "Just sit." Mahayana tradition but the root is the same.