Rohatsu - when a little miserable just doesn't cut it.

Discussion in 'Your Fun 'n Games Room' started by Michael, Dec 11, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Rohatsu is practiced every December to commemorate the event of the Buddha’s enlightenment. It’s the tradition in Soto Zen that on a night in early December we sit up all night outside like the Buddha did. I realized in 15 yrs a practicing Zen Buddhist (and victim of dozens of other retreats) I had never completed this sit (had schedule conflicts, wasn’t in town, had a gig, whatever). This year I was bound and determined to complete Rohatsu. Our Abbott procured a beautiful old farm property about an hour outside of town. Another monk and I opted to sit outside next to stream (the other monk, Jonathan was about 40 feet away across the stream). Bucolic! Idyllic! scenic! Right ? wrong. By midnight it was 31 degrees and I have never been more uncomfortable in my life. I mean we are talking altitude sickness in Nepal miserable. Meniere’s attack miserable. What was failed to be taken into account was that the Buddha was sitting in the tropics. The rest of the people on retreat retreated to the house. Jonathan and I stuck it out. At about 4 am everything got funny. By 6 am when this lunacy stopped, I was thinking “b*tch, is that the best you got?” I realized soon after that I was in the early stages of hypothermia. Obviously, I did not reach enlightenment. I was however, glad I stuck it out.

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Reminds me of the native American Indians

Sitting around having a pow-wow, or searching for enlightenment.

Smoking a peace pipe, before the white man brought them alcohol

Historic

3. June-

June- New Member

Hypothermia kills. I knew a man who lost both his legs to above freezing temperatures. I am glad you are ok.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'd say you did reach enlightenment with that thought :D

5. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I think so, too!

I mean, isn't learning from your mistakes, considered enlightenment? ;)

6. survivedit

survivedit New Member

That takes some resolve to stick that out! I've had to do a few 'forced bivies' in the great outdoors in those kind of temps and it is absolutely miserable. There is no sleep, even if you want it and it's dangerous if you do fall asleep.

Congratulations on accomplishing your goal.

7. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Yes, congrats!!!