Serentity Prayer I think its very appropriate for us!!

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by mrdizzy, Jan 5, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

I just posted this on another thread but thought it would fit here as well. It has been adopted by AA and used in daily mediations for those suffering from addictions. I think it also fits well for us MMers. Hope it helps someone get through a rough patch!!

God, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

There is also a longer version of it:

God, grant us the...
    Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
    Courage to change the things we can, and the
    Wisdom to know the difference
    Patience for the things that take time
    Appreciation for all that we have, and
    Tolerance for those with different struggles
    Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
    Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
    Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

Hope you all have a good day
    Greg

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Wow... Beautiful and moving.

I don't think I have ever heard the long version so thank you so much for posting it.

3. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Its so true that prayer. When I see my father we go to his AA meetings, love those folks there. Hes been sober some 30 years, always brings a tear when they all say it togeather.

4. June-

June- New Member

nice one - a good way to start every day

5. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I have never heard the longer version - it's so appropriate for all of us, thanks. Wishing you the best and the strength to get up and try again even when it seems hopeless!

6. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Amen... ((hugs))

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Good stuff Greg:
    hope you are feeling better today and the news is good.
    Talk to you soon. Hang in there
    prayers sent

8. GreatfulTed2

GreatfulTed2 New Member

Works for me
    good one
    Hope things are looking up for ya.

9. rev

rev New Member

10. egross

egross New Member

I've been sober for 20 years and there's another extended one we have in our "Acceptance" pamphlet in AA:

God grant me the
    SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change;
    COURAGE to change the things I can; and
    WISDOM to know the difference--

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, no as I would have it:
    Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
    That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
    forever in the next. Amen.

11. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thanks for the different rendition Elaine.

12. Daize

Daize New Member

Amen.

Thank you Greg.

Thank you egross for yours too.

I like them both.

Bless you both.

13. cc635

cc635 New Member

Thank you. I needed that extended version today.

14. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

thank you both !

way to go Egross on your 20 plus years! what an awesome accomplishment

15. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Both are great, I'm going to copy the new versions and give them to my friend Shawn who has now been sober 90 days out of his 38 yrs, and I believe and am praying my daughter saw her way to rehab and will know me once again when she comes out. Thank you all.

16. egross

egross New Member

Carolyn - That's great your friend Scott has 90 days. That always feels like a great accomplishment. But try not to have any expectations of your daughter when she comes out of rehab, it will just be the start of her sobriety. In rehab she's in a cocoon, but when she comes out she'll be out in the "real" world around all the old people, places, and things that triggered desires to drink. Her biggest obstacle will be to change and keep away from those people, places, and things. No small accomplishment. Also, family, as much as you want to be helpful can be difficult and you may not even have a clue why or what you may have said or have done.

While AA meetings are going to be an important part of your daughters recovery, Alanon would be helpful for you. Alcoholism is a family disease. It affects everyone. And while you can't make your daughter go to meetings, go can still go to Alanon, and I would suggest you do so no matter what she does.

17. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

My daughter is a drug addict 8 years of pharmacey school had he license for 8 months got caught stealing drugs out of Walgreens. They offered her rehab and her license back she refused. She doesn't talk to me because while interning I foundout the b/friend wasn't working so I quit giving her money, then I was trash to them both. I sent the report to my ex's sister knowing she would do something. I 'guess' she flew her up to OHIO and my daughter wlked out of rehab after a month. I searched for her when I found out the loser drug seller b'friend was in Idaho rehabing, I could only get to her on FB nothing was different w/her. All I could do was tell her I understand it is a disease and not an addiction and when she's ready she can come home. She did mouth off that she was going to a 90 day treatment center but didn't tell me where, which is fine. I know one of the twelve steps is making amends with those you've hurt. I'm praying for that part to happen. I'm hoping she doesn't come back here and be with her 'friends' she's 28 and the parents of these friends supplied her I'm hearing now since she was in high school. it's a mess. My oldest daughter lives in Austin, I hope she makes amends with her, which will be hard with those two, and moves out there instead. thanks for your concern, this is all new to me but I am learning alot.

18. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Oh wow Carolyn, I feel your pain and hope only the very, very best for you and your daughter. I hope she makes a full recovery eventually and makes her way back to you.

19. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

(((( Carolyn ))))

20. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

((((carolyn))))