Some spice to my life

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by phildsc, Aug 25, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. phildsc

phildsc New Member

I like spicy foods. I was raised in the Southwest and ate lots of Tex-Mex as a kid. Later on I found Cajun and even learned to make a really good jambalaya. For snacks I like Doritos Sweet Chili Heat chips. So much for the past.

This sugarless, low-fat, low-sodium, low calorie, decaffeinated diet I am now forced to follow made me look for some way to add zing to bland food.

Here's a couple of ifs. If you are not triggered by spicy and if you LIKE spicy, I have a kicker upper.

Louisiana hot sauce. I keep a bottle in my fridge, usually Crystal brand. It has no calories, no fat, no carbohydrates and just 135 mg of sodium per tsp. For most people less than a half tsp is plenty. It really adds to flavor, particularly when cooked into a dish.

Another flavor enhancer is Worcestershire sauce. My Lea & Perrins bottle says for one tsp you get no fat, 1 gram of carbohydrate and 65 mg sodium. This sauce enhances meat flavors. I even mix into hamburger patties before grilling.

There must be lots of ways to get real robust flavor without salt and I'll keep looking. Maybe this is old stuff for those who've been here longer than I have. Maybe a newbie will gain something.