Success stories

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by james, Mar 14, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. heywally

heywally New Member

Quite a while ago, I suggested a separate category (at the level of this 'Your Living Room') that would be just 'read only' logs of people's history, treatments, experiences, that they -- but only they -- could/should update with their progress. That way, you'd have one area where it would be MUCH easier to find success -- or not -- stories and the course of treatment/progress.

I have had great success with the JOH supplements and still update my log every several months or so but it won't stay on the first page for even 24 hours and fades quickly so, most people won't see it. If it were in an area where that's all there was, it would be much easier to find and benefit from it.

As it is, as more and more stuff gets added here, it becomes harder and harder to find and put stuff together, especially for new users who would benefit the most by being able to find info very quickly.

I used to work with bulletin board software back in the late 80's -- before it was called blogging -- and have used it ever since. I have no doubt that the idea of a separate category for history/treatment logs only would be very valuable, not only for people trying to find out about others experiences but also as a kind of diary for the people themselves, writing the log, in one spot.

2. Jordan

Jordan New Member

James,

Thank you for starting this thread!

Many people here know that my husband found success with Acyclovir, which is an antiviral medication.

Before that, he implemented a low-salt diet, took Serc, and did vestibular rehab exercises. He also eliminated caffeine and other food ingredients, especially those with preservatives like MSG. These steps were all very helpful to my husband's case and resulted in significant improvement for him, but he never really felt 100% okay and still experienced weekly attacks that included brief periods of sudden hearing loss.

He decided to give JOH's supplements a try but soon found that most of them are not available in Jordan (where we live). Based on the idea that Meniere's might be caused by a virus, he decided to take the L-Lysine component of JOH's regimen and experienced some noticeable relief (still not 100 percent). This convinced him that his Meniere's was most likely viral, so he decided to take more drastic action and take Acyclovir to really crush the virus.

Within the first week of taking Acyclovir, things turned around completely, and all of the Meniere's symptoms began to disappear, including brain fog and the feeling of being constantly dizzy and off balance. Attacks became far less frequent and eventually disappeared altogether.

It has been nearly seven months since my husband started taking Acyclovir, and it has been a continuous upward trend. Life is normal again!

The entire process was very difficult and did not come without a struggle. There was a four-month period when my husband could not even leave the house.

Since we live in Jordan, we did not have access to first rate medical facilities and had to really dig around to find our own answers.

I e-mailed at least five doctors around the world and kept asking questions. We also prayed constantly for guidance. I really feel that God led us to this wonderful forum, where people like JOH, June and Caribbean/Larry were saying that Meniere's is caused by a virus. It was a little bit scary at first to realize that people on the forum seemed to know more about Meniere's than all the doctors we had visited and consulted -- especially those who told my husband there was nothing more they could do. I did not know whom to believe/trust.

In the end, though, this forum is where we found the answers we needed.

If anyone is interested in learning more about antiviral treatment, there is a thread in the database with many links and resources:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,23217.0.html

My hope is that many more people will be able to benefit from this form of treatment.

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jordan- "It was a little bit scary at first to realize that people on the forum seemed to know more about Meniere's than all the doctors we had visited and consulted -- especially those who told my husband there was nothing more they could do."

That is exactly why on every post I say, "You are your own best doctor, everyone else is merely a consultant." You discovered that too. I am glad your husband is doing well.

4. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Thanks, Hank, and don't forget to post your own success story!

5. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Boy, my success story is all over this place. I'll see if I can find a concise version of it and cut and paste it here for others to view.

6. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

All right, here is my success story, as concise as I can make it:

In the Spring of 2006, I began having the symptoms folks write about on this site. One day as I was driving, a certain ringing sensation began in my left ear, tinnitus. It came on all of a sudden and persisted. In fact, over the next days the sensation increased. A feeling of inner ear fullness eventually added to the discomfort of the ringing. And accompanying the fullness would be a certain dizziness or swimmy-headedness. Soon thereafter, one night I awakened to go to the bathroom. I could not stand up. The room was spinning and I had to feel my way down the wall to the bathroom. This was the first of many episodes of vertigo I would experience. I did not know what was causing it, but just figured it would go away. So at this time I did not act to try to identify the cause.

Two or three weeks later, the cycle began again, ending in the same experience, vertigo. At that point, I figured I better go to the ENT to see what he might say about it. And what he told me was not comforting. He said I might have Meniere’s Disease, a disorder I had never heard of. I asked how to cure the disease and he told me that there is no known cause or cure, which description I would later discover is an integral aspect of the Meniere’s diagnosis, but he said that it might go into remission spontaneously. He put me on diuretics and sent me to have hearing tests performed. The tests indicated that I had a measureable hearing loss in the left ear, confirming the last requirement of the Meniere's diagnosis. On my next trip back to the ENT, he told me that I undoubtedly did have Meniere’s but that there really was no treatment except diuretics or invasive surgery, which I was not about to have.

After each vertigo episode would be over, all would seem as it should, calm, except that in a very few days the cycle would begin all over. Over the next six months, every 2-4 weeks, I would experience these cycles ending in vertigo. Given the fact that medical science offered nothing short of drilling a hole in my head to resolve the symptoms, I began to understand that I could depend solely on myself for a cure. Fortunately, in October of 2006, almost purely by chance, I discovered what was causing my vertigo and related symptoms.

Coincidentally, leading up to this time, and for a number of years, my wife had suffered with another idiopathic disease, atypical trigeminal neuralgia. In 2002, to try to stop the pain she consented to invasive surgery, a micro-decompression of the 5th and 9th cranial nerves. After that surgery failed to resolve the pain, and knowing that we were at the end of the line with the doctors, I went to work to discover the source of her pain myself. And as it turns out, the several years of work I would do to try to understand the pain associated with her 5th cranial nerve, would give me the background and knowledge to surmise what would eventually be going on with my 8th cranial nerve, the hearing and balance nerve. The fundamental cause of her pain, and the cause of my vertigo and related symptoms, would turn out to be the same condition, a misalignment of the upper cervical vertebrae, principally C-1.

In Fall of 2006, we had known that this upper cervical misalignment was the source of my wife’s pain symptoms for quite a while. When I had reasoned this, and had begun the necessary chiropractic treatment to repair this condition, as evidence of what I say, she was able to drop off from a 100 microgram fentanyl patch to zero, stepping down from 100 to 75 to 50 to 25 to 12.5, and finally off the patch. So we knew that the misalignment was the cause.

One day, after suffering these cyclical vertigo episodes for approximately six months, in October of 2006, while driving her to the chiropractor, she mentioned to me that she presently had a persistent ‘butterfly flutter’ sounding tinnitus in her left ear. Hearing her say that made my attention perk up because at the time I had all kinds of noises going off in my own left ear. After the chiropractic adjustment, as we got back in the car, I asked her about the butterfly. She said that it was gone. That was all the hint I needed and I went back inside and made an appointment to have my own alignment checked out. As I expected, my alignment was out substantially causing my head to tilt, and neck to tilt differently, and my shoulders to be out of level. I had just a day or two before experienced vertigo for 12-14 hours. I began chiropractic treatment immediately for the misalignment, and since discovering the cause of the symptoms and treating them, I have been vertigo-free and am fully restored to the condition I enjoyed prior to the 6 month period during which I experienced 12-14 hours of vertigo every 2-4 weeks.

After discovering this remarkable news, and of course expecting others to revel to hear it, I took steps to share what I had learned. First I went to my ENT. I told him the good news. To my amazement, he just stared at me, obviously in disbelief. I left vowing never to step foot in his office again.

Ignored by my ENT, I went online to see who else I might find to tell this great news. I searched for ‘Meniere’s disease’ and found Menieres.org. And there I found folks who suffered these same symptoms, many for decades. And here I was, some newbie telling them that theirs might not be a medical condition in the first place, that it could likely be a chiropractic condition. As you might imagine, most folks then, and even three years later, did and do not believe me. But some have. And soon after I began posting, a few folks, from various parts of the world, began responding that they were going to try what I claimed worked for me. As a result, symptoms began leaving many of these people, the first of whom, as an example, was Rosie in the UK, a school teacher who had gone on disability. She could not teach having these symptoms. Soon after beginning treatment, her symptoms departed. She went back doing what she loves, teaching. Afterward, more and more would chime in telling similar stories. And then I began receiving emails from folks telling me that I was indeed right, that their symptoms had left after correcting these misalignments as well. This has been going on for three years now. But even with the evidence right there in front of them, many of the same people who have suffered these symptoms, some for decades, still do not believe me. To be fair, there are other reasons that these types of symptoms might develop. I do not discount them and never had. But I do know this, and that is that if there is any chance whatsover to eradicate the cause of these symptoms, it is by pursuing upper cervical chiropractic treatments by a qualified upper cervical chiropractor.

And that is my success story.

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Here is Rosie's Story Part I, one of healing and redemption, presented chronologically as it happened. All this is documented in my first post that can be found in the Database, entitled, "The cause and successful treament of my Meniere's." Rosie is a school teacher in the UK. She had been diagnosed MM 18 years earlier. The very interesting aspect of this story is that, one day after having success with chiropractic, Rosie showed up with the news that her son, Tom, had just begun with the same symptoms. She was noticeably disturbed. I can remember writing to her, "Relax, you know what to do." And she did. She took him for a chiropractic exam, and all ends happily. Not only did both she and Tom regain their lives from living with Meniere's symptoms; but in the end you will read that her fibromyalgia pain had decreased major leaps and she was no longer needing to use her hearing aids. If this post is to large for one, I will break it up into bites that will fit.
    Hank

1-25-07
    Thanks for posting about your experience, Hank. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at my local chiropractic clinic - when I explained the problem over the phone she said I would need to come in for an assesment (free of charge) before she could commit to treatment. I like the cut of her jib already. If she cannot help she may be able to refer me to someone who can.

thanks for providing some focus

best

rosie

1-26-07
    I've just got back from meeting the chiropracter - she says I have severe sublimations upper and lower. She says the upper problems are very severe and I am going back tomorrow morning for a neck x-ray before I start treatment.

She says my symptoms (I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and on a bad day appear as if I have multiple sclerosis) are consistent with whiplash injury which happened a long time ago. 25 years ago I was involved in an accident when the truck I was in rolled over. I was trapped in the cab and was certain that I had damaged my right side of my head, body and right leg but nothing was broken - just severe bruising and bashed kidneys. They never checked my neck.

Well, she says that 3 months of treatment should help me be pain free and hopefully finding relief from my other symptoms. This is the first time in months that I feel that I have some hope of leading a normal life again - getting back to work and supporting my family. I'll let you know how I progress.

Thanks again Hank for sharing your experience.

best

rosie

1-28-07
    jrw

For me there is a need to reply to your post.

Thank you for flagging up your concerns and sharing them on the thread. I am positive that your intentions are good and honourable. I'm also certain that Hank's intentions are rooted in the same sense of integrity; if his posts are knowledgable, that is compatible with his view that we are all our own best doctors.

I have been told that I will need about 3 months of chiro treatment initially, at a cost of £500. My first response was that we simply don't have the money - I've been off work for over 4 months and am about to go down to half pay, we have 5 children in full time education, blah blah...

I was also doubtful that I would be able to find the right kind of practitioner. What if they did more harm than good? Strokes run in my family and what if the treatment gave me one?

I don't know the answers and I don't think Hank is pretending he does either. He has simply shared his experience and his views, just as you have done in your post. Hanks post was a provocation to me to consider an option that I didn't even know existed. And I made an informed choice knowing that I wasn't being offered a magic cure.

I found Hanks offer to another poster very moving; it is clear that he wanted to avoid her being put in the situation of having possible unecessary surgery because of his wife's experience. I felt a little sad that the offer wasn't acknowledged even if was not accepted.

A lot of posters move on when they find relief from their symptoms - understandable because coming back to the boards might bring bad luck and trigger it all off again. After all, if we don't know what causes MM then...

It takes courage and generosity of self to come on the boards and share a personal experience. I only hope, when I am wholly well again, that I have the same qualities. I'll keep posting and let you know how I progress with my treatment.

Wishing us all the best
    Rosie

1-29-07
    Blimey - just got back from the chiro and seeing my neck x-rays. There is no natural curvature in my spine there. It's on a diagonal, way out and pushing my head forward. The discs at the top and the bottom are both compressed and there are two bony points at the top. Apparently this is classic whiplash even though the accident happened over 20 years ago.

She's set up a programme - 3 visits a week for 4 weeks and then reducing over the next 8 weeks. It's all gentle stuff which is fine by me. Even after 2 treatments I've got more mobility and more movement in my neck already.

Will report back in a few weeks and let you know what progress has been made.

rosie

2-1-07
    For those of us in the UK here is Doctor Grant's response to my email.

"I have a number of patients with Menieres that see me for NUCCA care. The atlas is a huge component in Menieres and, when a misaligned atlas is corrected, can give symptomatic relief. I've seen this in my own patients and it's something that has been discussed at length at NUCCA conferences. There are no guarantees, of course, but I've seen NUCCA succeed where other treatments have failed. NUCCA is very precise; our analysis of the atlas' position and its correction is unparalleled. We take precise X-rays with a detailed marking analysis, allowing us to deliver a very specific correction. I'm glad to see you're under chiropractic care and seeing results.

Yes, I am actually the only NUCCA practitioner in the EU. I'm not certified yet in NUCCA, but I'm fully trained and qualified in the technique and travel to the US regularly for continuing professional development in NUCCA. The certification process is extremely rigorous and takes several years in practice to achieve; only 23 chiropractors in the world are currently board certified in NUCCA, and most achieved it after 15 years or more of practice. I'm currently enrolled in the certification process and working towards the designation. Anyone listed on the NUCCA website is a member of the organisation and is a qualified NUCCA practitioner; the organisation won't post us on the website unless we meet certain practice requirements.

Thank you for the link for the Menieres' forum. It's interesting to see what others have experienced in terms of NUCCA and regular chiropractic & osteopathy."

Hope this helps to raise awareness about our treatment options here in the UK. Whilst it is disapointing that Doctor Grant is the only NUCCA practitioner here in the UK, it is great to know that certification is an ongoing and rigorous process and that her status on the NUCCA website (no certification) should not cause us concern. For those of us who can't access Doctor Grant's surgery in London, my own experience so far shows that there is hope from other good chiros who demonstrate excellent practice.

Yesterday, my GP advised me to "try a few sessions and if you don't feel better go to an osteopath". I am not convinced that this is the way to go. Since I have confidence in my chiro I am committed to the whole programme before I make any kind of judgement about this form of treatment.

wishing us all well

rosie

2-3-07
    Report of progress to date (Please remember that as well as MM I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia)

Number of treatments in the past week - 4

Observations - my chiro tells me that I have a fairly sensitive response to the adjustments so we're going slowly. I started the programme a week ago and noticed that my joints felt looser and that I felt genrally lighter after the first treatment. After the next couple I still get periods of pain, stiffness, tiredness, tinnitus but when I feel well, I really feel well. The tinnitus seems to get a bit louder after each treatment and then seems to subside the next day. Today I realise this is the first day that I haven't noticed the ringing. When I draw my attention to it it's there but it's not distracting me as much as it has done. The main difference though is my with my balance. - a year ago I was prescribed varifocals to wear all the time and prior to that I only ever wore reading glasses. Now I'm only using the varifocals for reading - my consultant told me that my balance was depending mostly on my vision and there's a definite shift there. I'm not leaning on things or touching the sides of the walls when I walk down the hallway. I'm not looking down at my feet so much when I walk - I find myself noticing the horizon more.
    The chiro has also taught me three types of exercises to open up my spine, my shoulders and lengthen my hamstrings.

That's all for now

2-8-07
    Last time I posted I mentioned an improvement in my balance after a few treatments - I saw my consultant yesterday and he noticed it too and remarked on it

2-8-07
    Hi Nan. I'm fairly new here too; this is a good place to find out more about MM. I can understand how nervous you feel - I have MM and fibromyalgia. I see an ENT consultant (referred there by my GP). If you are concerned that your GP is not able to help with your symptoms then you should ask to be referred to a specialist. MM symptoms vary between individuals.

I would also urge you to go and have an assessment done by a NUCCA chiroptacter. I've spent the last 5 months unable to work and getting no support from my GP. Prompted by info on this board I went to see a chiro and found out that it is possible that "fibro" and MM are actually symptoms of an old whiplash injury. What I do know is that since starting treatment I am experiencing huge improvements in my balance and my energy levels and massive reduction in my pain levels. Try not to label yourself - or allow anyone else to label you either - before you have tried this approach. You could save yourself a lot of grief.

rosie

2-16-07
    Hi

I haven't posted because of computer problems; luckily all better now. So here I am at the end of my third week of treatment (three treatments a week) and I'm still making progress. Balance is still very good, tinnitus is subsiding and there is a marked reduction in the fullness too. I can turn my head properly from side to side. Also, am noticing a big difference in my energy and (fibro) pain levels.

My chiro tells me to be careful not to start doing too much too soon.

Life is great

rosie

2-27-07
    Hi
    In my fifth week of treatment now and I am amazed at the difference in my balance and posture; when I started treatment I was leaning on the wall for support and now I am squarely on my own two feet. I am seeing improvement between 10% and 40% in my muscle strength in various areas. To realise the enormity of this you have to realise that I have been unable to work for 5 months and I believed I was facing a lifetime of disability. Very fearful for my family's future.

I have less tinnitus and no hypercausis. The difference in the fullness is marked. Hearing on my right side is still down but my hearing aid arrives next month so that, when I am strong enough, I can function in the classroom again.

On Saturday I experienced the "underwater" sensation and after lying down realised I had nystagmus in my right eye. That passed. I reminded myself that I had done more in the previous 3 days than in the previous 5 months and have to remind myself to take it slowly. My head is still too far forward and we are working on that. It just takes time. Next week I go down to half pay but I have made up the "lost" money by selling something I have written so the next months treatment is taken care of. In September I will have 2 children at university and I am confident that by then I will be well enough to help support them through it. Five weeks ago I simply didn't have that hope.

Heading in the right direction.

rosie

3-17-07
    Just to let you know that I'm continuing to make a slow and steady improvement. MM was diagnosed 18 years ago so I'm in this treatment programme for the long haul. And there's the fibromyalgia to contend with too. On Tuesday evening I walked for half an hour non stop - the most I've been able to do for six months. It felt amazing to be able to do that.On Wednesday evening and last night I was in a crowd and managed to hear most of what was said; in the past I've just given up trying to make out what people are saying. (Hearing aid fitting too on Monday so another step forward.) I am seeing a great improvement in my energy levels and my balance remains steady (altho I am aware that it is still dependent on my vision). No dizzy spells/feeling as if I'm underwater now for two weeks

My chiro tells me that a collegue of hers has recently restored a guy's hearing after three adjustments!

best
    Rosie

3-28-07
    Sending lots of positive thoughts for any of you who may be having a difficult time.

A funny story - I woke up yesterday feeling a little foggy. I stretched my neck - just did it instinctively because my jaw felt that it wanted to drop and then move to the left. I heard about 50 zillion tiny "pops" and immediately felt more clear headed. I think I just adjusted myself but I'm still going on Friday for my weekly appointment.

best
    rosie

3-29-07
    I'm in my 9th week of treatment but I've had symptoms for 18 and a half years. It takes how long it takes doesn't it.

When I started the programme, my GP told me to give it a week and quit if there was no improvement. Persistence and commitment is needed because it's not all quick fixes. I know I've had a steady improvement in my balance, hearing and fullness. The tinnitus has subsided a lot too and my new hearing aid helps to mask it.. I've been thinking about what could help me progress even more and I realised that I had fallen into a bit of a negative thought pattern. Because I'm down to half pay at work now (I'm also recovering from fibromyalgia and I'm seeing a steady improvement there too) and the chiro is expensive - we're not used to paying for health treatments here, alternative or not - I realised that I've been "holding my nerve". I've been hoping that it'll work before I go down to no pay. Worrying isn't going to change anything.Anyway, I'm changing that thought right now. Now I'm thinking, this treatment will work in it's own time and all is well. I have all the time that I need. Money which is needed will be provided. (I'm due some for some writing I've done so I know it's true.)

best

rosie

3-29-07
    I've just reread my post above - it sounds a bit of a ramble. In short, what I mean is that I believe this form of treatment needs time, trust and commitment. And these are things that come from ourselves, from within. Hope I've made sense.

rosie

(See Part II installment below)

8. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Here is part II of Rosie's Story:

4-13-07
    Just checking in - last week was being troubled by tinnitus and a day after the adjustment really saw an improvement. Also had a change in tone, much lower than the usual. After the adjustment this morning not only had the tinnitus subsided but my hearing seems to be sharper too. It's taken three months to get to this point but I'm happy My chiro believes that this improvement will continue and that, in time, I wo't need the hearing aid.

I'm so glad I started this programme - I spoke to a woman yesterday who also has fibromyalgia and she was amazed at how quickly I am progressing since I started the chiro programme. Yesterday I was able to spend the day outside with my family; we walked in the woods and had the best time. A few months ago I didn't thaink that would be possible.

Hank, I will continue to pass on information as best I can to others I meet. Thank you so much for bringing this type of treatment to my attention.

best
    Rosie

4-27-07
    A quick update; I am squarely back on my feet. And here's the exciting part; when I started the treatment programme I only had 25% muscle strength in my right leg (I have fibromyalgia - I was a very sick woman) and todays assessment shows that I now have 80%. That's phenomenal in only three months. I've been given more stretching exercises for the upper part of my body and they need to be done 10 times a day - this programme is hard work but it's so worth it. I'm still using the hearing aid in my right ear and the tinnitus still ebbs and flows - but before it was constantly persistent ALL the time. So it's weekly apointments for the next three months (at a reduced rate ) until the next review.

good stuff does happen

rosie

5-8-07
    Having been off work since September with MM and fibromyalgia I am going back next month. I'm a teacher so I have a meeting with Occupational Health in a couple of weeks to discuss a phased return. I teach 3 days a week and that works fine for me. I have made the decision to return myself; my GP would have me signed off permenantly as no longer fit to work but I know in myself that I can do it as long as I listen to my body and take it slow at first.

I'm armed with my digital hearing aid and attitude:)

This site has helped me enormously; I can hardly begin to tell you. I'm still having weekly chiro appointments and I'm being very careful about my diet. I have been constantly iimpressed by other posters positive attitudes and I know one day I will look back at this time and understand why it happened to me and my family.

I have learned that I have an amazing husband and family. Who my true friends are. What my values are. I even had my first play produced professionally a couple of weeks ago so I know I can earn money from writing if I decide that returning to teaching isn't what I want after all. I reckon it's going to take a year to get back on our feet financially again and that's okay. We can do that.

I'll still be dropping by to read and post; just wanted to say a huge heartfelt thank you for all those who have had the generosity of spirit to share their experiences and encourage me when it felt impossible. Danny, I got your DVD and think it's fantastic - you are an inspiration

best
    Rosie

6-19-07
    Hi all

I haven't been around for a while because I've been busy regaining my life but I'd like to add my tuppenceworth to the debate. Just to recap - I've been off work (I'm a High school teacher) since last September with fibromyalgia and MM. At the start of the year, after reading Hank's post about the benefits of consulting a chiropracter, I started treatment. I now have one weekly treatment and am in the middle of a phased return to work. Now it hasn't been a miracle cure; it's been a slow and steady recovery which I believe began after the first chiro treatment. I'm using a hearing aid and it seems to be working fine in the classroom. It hasn't happened overnight BUT back in September I was told that I should consider myself permenantly disabled and give up any notion of returning to teaching. I still get tired after being at work BUT my balance is fantastic, my muscle strength is returning, tinnitus is mostly under control...so grateful for Hank's direction to find a well qualified chiropracter. Although I am still recovering my body is learning new habits for life. Thank you, Hank.

rosie

6-20-07
    Hi DJ

The first thing I noticed was the difference in pressure, then my balance , hearing and tinnitus. My balance was VERY poor when I started treatment; I was having to hold on to walls as I walked. It is still a little too dependent on my vision but when I do yoga I notice it is still much better than others who have no health issues.

I've noticed that some symptoms ebb and flow but am very aware that the trend has always been one of progress and improvement. As you say, we are all unique and I wish you all the best for your continued recovery. I keep telling myself "It takes as long as it takes"

6-29-07
    This is a hard one. My 16 year old son has just been referred to ENT by our GP; she suspects he may have MM too. I sat with him this morning while he was sick and dizzy - he slept for a while and felt better after a few hours. This is so hard because he also has chronic uveitis and has already lost the sight in one eye. I've made an appointment for him to see my chiropracter next week.

I keep thinking that at least I can help him not to be scared of this but I can't help feeling so angry at the injustice of it.

rosie

7-3-07
    Thanks again for your responses. I took my son to see the chiropracter this afternoon and was shocked to find out that he has a scoliosis in his spine.How could I have missed that? Also I had no idea that his movement has become so restricted. He'll begin his treatment programme on Thursday and is being very open about the whole process.

Onwards and upwards

rosie

8-9-07
    Hi all

It's great to hear how everyone is getting along. I haven't posted because I've been on holiday so it's great to read about all the progress being made.

Tom has had no more dizzy/sick incidents since he started the chiro treatment. He's had a break in the programme while we've been on holiday and seems to be holding his adjustments fine.

I haven't been so lucky this past week; developed an abcess in my tooth and spent too much time lying down knocked out with painkillers. Now I have a lot of fullness/tinnitus/balance issues. BUT I am seeing this as a positive as I am sure there must be a connection between the holiday break in my treatment/the problem with my tooth/jaw and the balance etc issues. I had the tooth out yesterday and there was a lot of pressure put on my kneck and jaw. SO I'm off to phone the chiropracter now and see if she can see me today or tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on after the treatment.

best

rosie

8-17-07
    Tom and I both had appointments with the chiropracter this week; he's doing just fine. He's having 2 appointments a week for now and is having no dizzy spells. He also says that the tinnitus seems to be reduced. Fantastic.

As well as the fullness etc, I've been having some fibromyalgia relapse symptoms. The chiro pressed a couple of joints and asked if I had a sweet tooth; I told him I had developed a chcolate craving in the evenings and he says my adrenals are run down and trying to compensate with sugar. So, good advice above to stick to all the other things that support the chiropractic treatment. I'm planning to rest more and make sure that I eat well. Since I haven't had an adjustment for a few weeks I'm sure that this small relapse is connected with that. Onwards and upwards

rosie

8-20-07
    So many of you replied with kindness - here's an update about Tom.

We saw the ENT specialist today and the hearing test showed that he has hearing loss on the right side. She has referred him for an MRI scan. We are carrying on with the chiropractic treatment as he is responding brilliantly to it and has had no episodes since he started the therapy.

I asked him how he was feeling afterwards and he said, "It's okay. The rest of it makes up for it. Life. Being born All that."

Go Tom!!

8-21-07
    Yes. Absolutely.

It (Chiropractic) literally got me back on my feet when doctors had given up on me. It's also given me relief from other health issues; I have fibromyalgia which left me quite disabled at one point. When I was very poorly I was treated by a kinesiologist for a few months before I was well enough to make it to the chiropracters. It took a couple of weeks to notice the improvement after I started the adjustments. To be honest, I would have carried on with the kinesiology as well but financially I am prioritising on the chiropractactic therapy.

Interestingly, I've had a bit of a relapse since I've been on holiday and missed a few adjustments; I have them weekly. My 16 year old son is having twice weekly adjustments just now; he has had no episodes of dizziness/vomiting since he started having the adjustments.

The good thing about chiropractic/kinesiology is that you don't have to believe in them in order for them to work. They work with the innate intelligence of your body so that your body is in the best possible position to heal itself. The body naturally wants to be at ease.

Good luck with your treatment. If you don't see an improvement, try another practioner or another alternative therapy. Never give up

rosie

9-11-07
    Just popping in to say that my 16 year old Tom and I are both holding our chiropractic adjustments (both on weekly appointments) and we're both doing well. Tom hasn't had a single episode of vertigo/vomitting and is having less issues with tinnitus. I'm still able to work and generally doing really well - I use my digital hearing aid in the classroom as and when I need it. My balance is hugely improved - no more holding onto walls.

Thanks again to Hank for pointing us in this direction.

Thanks too for advice given here about diet as I'm sure that's made a difference too.

Here's to more happy stories

rosie

4-13-08
    Hi
    I haven't posted for months but wanted to share the good news that myself and Tom (my 17 year old) are both continuing to make excellent progress. I am still visiting the chiropracter weekly and Tom goes once a fortnight; as well as both of us having vastly improved mobility we have both experienced a massive reduction in the tinnitus. I realised at the start of last week that mine was barely noticable and Tom says he doesn't notice his at all. I cannot begin to tell you how great this feels. I have also stopped wearing my hearing aid and Tom has had no vertigo and vomiting since he started the chiropractic programme.

Are you still around, Hank?

I hope you read this because if it wasn't for you we wouldn't have tried this route. It's taken me 16 months to get to this point and Tom 8 months. It's breathtakingly beautiful to be able to do all the normal everyday things that I thought I's never be able to do again. Persistence pays off

Thank you again Hank.

best
    Rosie

4-14-08
    Thank you for your responses. You're right, Hank, I am a teacher. I was diagnosed with MM 18 years ago. When I started seeing the chiropracter I had been off work for almost 4 months - balance and hearing were gone and I could barely function. I had also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia around that time and had severe chronic fatigue e.g. I had enough energy to walk to the end of my street and back on a good day if I was lucky. One very sick woman who was trying not to believe that her life as she knew it was over.

After six months on the chiropractic programme I returned to work (three days a week). Within 10 months I was well enough to seriously consider taking a promotion which would mean working full time. However, being so ill had changed my thinking about my values - I decided to carry on teaching 3 days a week and develop myself as a writer. I've recently heard that I've just won an award for fiction and am writing my second play. Life is great.

Tom is preparing to apply for university. In a few months time he will be taken off the immunomodulation therapy (low dose chemotherapy) he has been on for years to manage the rare eye disease he has. I am confident that this will be a success and that he will retain his remaining vision. An unexpected side effect of the chiropractic treatment is that he has become much more confident in himself. Chattier. People who have known him for years have been commenting on the difference they see in him. What a boon.

I hope that others will consider this type of treatment. It takes commitment and patience and we are proof that it can work.

best love
    rosie

4-15-08
    The fibromyalgia symptoms were the first to improve; I noticed a difference after a couple of adjustments. Before the programme, my pain level was about 7 out of 10 - at times I had been completely immobilised by it - and it dropped very quickly. As the pain decreased my energy levels began to rise. I had lost a lot of weight and began to put that on again too, digestion improved and I began to sleep better. Yes, the fibromyalgia symptoms were definitely the first to improve; it's almost as if the symtoms have gone away in the reverse order that they first presented, if that makes sense. Before, my balance was mostly dependent on my vision - it improved very early on and then recently the tinnitus subsided. I rarely wear my hearing aid now whereas before I had to use it all the time in the classroom. I've found that Dru yoga has been helpful to maintain my wellness; after a session I often feel as if I've had a holiday and am full of energy. Such a delight after so long of having so little.

Tom's sight in his right eye won't improve as he has had to have the lens removed after he developed secondary glaucoma. An implant is a possibility but not until there is no risk of setting off a flare up as that puts his left eye at risk. Vision in his left has remained stable despite the fact that he has band keratopathy in it; calcium deposits which gather on the cornea. The proof of the pudding will be when he comes off the immunosuppresants in the summer. They have tried to do this on two other occasions and the disease became active again; we are hopeful that his body's natural intelligence will overcome this challenge since he has made such excellent progress already.

If I had been able to choose I would have registered with the NUCCA practioner Heidi Grant but she is based in London and we are in Northumberland. Instead I registered with a local practice and spoke to Heidi via email. She helped me find the right questions to ask of the local practice. The local clinic has been absolutely marvellous; early on I printed off some of the posts on here from the thread that Hank started and they were keen to discuss the issues it raised. I was a little apprehensive when the practitioner treating me moved oout of the area but her replacement at the clinic has been just as good.

Best wishes to all. If anyone has any other questions, I'm happy to answer them and will certainly let you all know how Tom gets on when he comes off the immunosuppresants.

best
    Gibby

9. nassman

nassman Guest

Hank,

Many people on here have severe dizziness and/or vertigo issues. Many of them have it on a chronic basis. Extremely long posts like the ones you have recently made are one of the many triggers these people have. Out of consideration to them, please keep your messages shorter. They are way too long.

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

No, I will not.

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Hank,

Informative postings.

I, too, keep a record of emails to me from those who have benefitted from my approach to Meniere's, with over 200 similar accounts.

These records personally attest to the remarkable successes Meniere's sufferers can attain by diligently considering and intelligently trying the various alternative treatments for Meniere's posted on this board.

Sadly, most with this disease try only what conventional medicine prescribes, typically starting with the standard LSD (low salt/diuretic) treatment, followed when that doesn't work (most of the time) with injections of antibiotics into the inner ear to disable various tissues, along with steroids or antidepressants. In the end, as so many here finally discover, these do not often provide satisfactory, continuing levels of symptomatic relief.

And for most, that's where therapy ends. "Learn to live with it" is the final medical advice. "You are now on your own."

But here, open-minded readers can diligently survey the several alternative offerings, each of which has provided very positive results. And not only are our treatment approaches described, real-person accounts of therapy successes are posted, including yours above.

To claim that your posting above is too long and might be a trigger for some symptom is ludicrous. Sitting in a conventional doctor's office and having hot and cold air sprayed into ones ears to detect Meniere's is also a "triggering" event." Would our frequent critic suggest that people not go to ENTs, for fear of triggering some symptom?

The real issue, of course, is that you've provided accurate and extensive personal experiences that clearly prove (not suggest) the validity of your approach to Meniere's, just as the records I have from those using my approach prove the validity and success of my supplements and vitamins approach. Similar postings reveal the validity of the antiherpetic and food allergy approaches, too.

The real issue here is this. Should sufferers of Meniere's Disease and related conditions restrict and restrain themselves only to the offerings of conventional medicine, or should they also diligently study and consider each of the several alternative approaches that appear on this board? For those who wish to place their faith and belief only with conventional medicine, go right now to the Favorites or Bookmarks menu and delete this website immediately. There is little here that can help you.

Then, go on with life, and as your physician is likely to tell you in the end, "Learn to live with it. We've done all that we can to help you."

And I'm awaiting Ray's future revelation of his high-dose vitamin C approach. His early postings were very encouraging.

--John of Ohio

12. pardonme

pardonme Guest

13. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

If people don't want to read a long post they have the option of just scrolling on down to the shorter ones!

14. heywally

heywally New Member

Hank - thanks for taking the time to post that experience.

I agree with John's statement "To claim that your posting above is too long and might be a trigger for some symptom is ludicrous."

Ludicrous is a kind word for the 'too long' comment.

15. Funshine

Funshine New Member

I think we should keep focused on success stories in this post. So BUMP.

16. joy

joy New Member

Yeppers. What Funshine said. :)

Some of us are a bit more 'just the facts, ma'am' than others. You know I luvs ya Hank. I also luv Nassman & his "pull-no-punches" approach.

17. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

With his permission,here is Scottv's update.

Plain and simple. Here goes. the 11th of April will be the 5th month post Laby. I feel fantastic and I don't want to remind myself about the disease. You have all heard LisaB sing the praises of the Laby and she is right. She is also smart, honest and trustworthy. Therefore I figured that you all don't need my opinion on how mine went.

I was back driving at 1 month back to work at 1 month, was back in the gym at two weeks. I know have all of my old strength back and have put on 5 pounds of muscle in the time ive been back. Balance is rarely an issue but once in a while. I was asked by James to post my progress and it has been progress with a capital P. I don't want to sound like I'm saying neener neener neener. Therefore, I have not been on the site. I'm sorry that I have been selfish. If any of you need advice on the laby please PM me. Thank you all for your un ending support. It has not gone unappreciated.

Scott.

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I don't know if I have Meniere's, MAV, or something else, but whatever it is, it seems to be either gone or in remission.

I was on JOH's regimen for quite a while, and still take lysine, vitamins D3 and B12, calcium, magnesium, and my chiropractor adjusts my neck. I also grate lemon peel into my juice, and swim.

I also fall into the food allergy category (gluten, though technically it's an autoimmune disorder, not an allergy).

I also wear earplugs in movies, concerts, and other places where I know the decibel level will be through the roof.

Hope that helps someone!

19. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

Hank has just posted a summary of a success story in his thread in the database.

This person went to the same NUCCA doc that I am seeing now.Dr.Heidi Grant.

Here is the link:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,3080.2055.html

20. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Silly suggestion. They can simply print it out for reading over time.

Ray