Sudden increase in tinnitus volume?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by vasu, Apr 9, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. vasu

vasu New Member

I am currently on AVs. Intrigued by papajoe and pianojoe's successful experience with anti-fungals, I requested my doc to put me on AFs. I am on fluconazole (took just one dose last night).

I woke up in the middle of the night with a HUGE increase in tinnitus volume. Not much fullness. Hearing is very down. It's been unabated till now.

For those with cochlear hydrops (which is what I have), has this ever happened? Is this a sign? I hope it is positive (although unpleasant). I HOPE HOPE that this is not the beginnings of vertigo. I need words of encouragement :-(

2. RedBird11

RedBird11 New Member

I have Cochlear Hydrops and I can tell you that in my experience every time I get a crazy increase in tinnitus volume it means I am starting to improve. If my ear was full for a week and then my tinnitus starts screaming usually the next day I feel a lot better and the tinnitus is hardly noticeable. I hope this is a good sign for you as well.

3. RedBird11

RedBird11 New Member

I just want to add that when I first started Lemon Bioflavonoids in September I was currently in a 2 week bout of extreme fullness and roaring. Almost immediately after starting my tinnitus went way up and then suddenly I improved a ton and never looked back for 6 months. I felt so much better! Unfortunately right now I am a week and a half into another bout of fullness/ roaring and I fully believe that is because I am my late third trimester of pregnancy. I am hoping that after I give birth and the water retention goes down that I improve again. But I am almost positive that my tinnitus will temporarily shoot up to a crazy level before it gets better. It seems to me that when my ear starts clearing the tinnitus goes up because my ear is getting more sounds again and has to adjust. But that is just my theory. :) I hope that helps.

4. vasu

vasu New Member

Thanks Redbird11. Exactly what I needed to "hear" :)

5. vasu

vasu New Member

Your theory seems to make sense as well. Good luck with the pregnancy and hope you feel better soon as well.

6. vasu

vasu New Member

Yesterday was absolutely horrible for me. The tinnitus had been unabated since three days ago. It cycled thru low, mid, high frequencies and back again to low. Volume was alarming - never had I had it that loud. I was hoping it was the beginning of a respite, but I panicked yesterday.

Made an emergency appt. with a local neuro oto (I saw her for the first time - Jennifer Grady in San Jose, CA). She was GREAT and I highly recommend her. She calmed me down in many ways, answered all my questions patiently. She said the tinnitus is just a symptom as loud and unpleasant as it is. She put me on a course of prednisone to get the hearing back to normal levels first. And then I am to try allergy testing and go that route. I am still on Famciclovir, HCTZ, and low sodium.

7. RedBird11

RedBird11 New Member

How are you doing today, vasu?

My tinnitus level really spiked today. I am hoping it is my ear clearing, since it has been full for two and a half weeks I figured when it finally cleared it would be loud for a day or so. We will see. Its been a long time since I have had a day with tinnitus this loud and I forgot how nerve wracking it can be.

8. vasu

vasu New Member

It's been up and down for me. Last week Wed/Thu were pure misery. Started prednisone on Thursday night. Friday was better, Saturday a bit worse. Sunday I got the crazy tinnitus for a few hours. Today has started out as an average day. But no crazy T so far. Hoping it gets better soon. Hope you feel better soon. One advice I got from the doc was to "ignore" the tinnitus because it is only a result of hearing loss, which is temporary. I know easy for the doc to say that but I figure it is not probable that the T will be forever that high. Maybe for a day or two, so hang in there Redbird.