The cause and successful treatment of my Meniere's

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Henrysullivan, Jan 23, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

[Today, I feel the need to amend my first post here at Menieres.org. I find that there is so much in this thread that many who begin to go through it may get lost before they discover the meat of the subject. Suffice it so say, since posting these original thoughts I have been contacted by people all over the world who previously suffered with Meniere's, or what I term, Meniere's symptoms, and who followed my advice. There have been almost miraculous instantaneous recoveries. There have been recoveries that progressed with time. There have been recoveries which have been enhanced by doubling up with either osteopathic procedures or John of Ohio's regemin, or both. And there have been those who do not recover. Of the folks who have not recovered, I ask myself the following questions:

1) Did they receive the proper treatment? Here I have always referred to treatment by a qualified upper cervical chiropractor, of whom NUCCA, AO and Blair methods have here been documented to have worked on selected individuals.

2) Did they stay with the program long enough for it to make a difference? Some folks have had immediate changes in their symptoms. Some folks have taken 3-4 months for changes.

3) Did these folks have irreparable nerve or tissue damage? If the tissues of nerves are such that restoration of the communication from the brain cannot repair them, there is little reason to believe that doing so would make any difference, even if the original cause of the symptoms was related to upper cervical misalignments.

4) Have these folks had any irreversible surgeries performed prior to undergoing the treatment from a qualified upper cervical chiropractor? Invasive surgery could easily change the entire equation of the inner ear and the nerves that serve it.

Suffice it to say that the folks whom have been helped will testify that there is no question that upper cervical chiropractic dealt directly with the cause of their symptoms. Medical science, by and large, does not agree with them. That is why since the outset I have advised people to view all sources of information on the subject as pure advice, to be weighed like any other advice. If it makes sense, follow it. If it does not, do not. Everyone is his or her foremost health advocate. In that same vein, everyone is his or her best doctor; everyone else is merely a consultant.

Good luck, good blessings and good health to all.

Hank

10/12/09 ]

Hello all,

I am new to this site, just found it. I hope you will find the information below useful. Fortunately, I have discovered the source of my own Meniere's symptoms and have learned to control them. With what I know now, I am confident that I can beat this disorder. I hope you will benefit from my experience.

My wife was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia over 15 years ago. Fortunately for me, in our quest to find a cure for her we also found a treatment for my Meniere's, a treatment that works. In both of our cases, and I will bet in the cases of many (or most) who suffer with these disorders, the root cause is the same thing--a misalignment (subluxation of you will) of the first vertebrae, the Atlas Bone.

If you suffer with Meniere’s, here's a simple test for you. (This test is just one indicator; it may not be fool-proof, but is one easy check for a problem.) Stand in front of a mirror so that you can see your shoulders and head. Close your eyes and look up to the ceiling. While looking upward, take the index fingers of both hands and place them horizontally (yes, pointing at each other) on each side of your jawbone just below the location that the bone hinges to the skull. The jawbone makes a kind of point there. Make sure that your index fingers are horizontal pointing at each other. Keeping your eyes closed, lower your head to a normal position. Open your eyes. If in the mirror one index finger is higher than the other, your upper cervical vertebrae are very probably out of alignment. This misalignment of the Atlas is the cause of the Meniere's I was diagnosed with last spring. It is also the cause of my wife's trigeminal neuralgia. In my case, the left side is higher than the right indicating that the Atlas is shifted to the left. Not coincidentally, my Meniere's symptoms are all on the left. Very simply, the treatment for this disorder is to just bring the Atlas back into adjustment using chiropractic methods. ***Important*** Not just any chiropractor can do this. So don't think that this adjustment won't help just because you have been to a chiropractor before. If you have the misalignment I refer to, see a chiropractor that specializes in the upper cervical area. One chiropractic discipline that specializes in that area is known as "Grostic." There is also an Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association that you can find on the web. In addition, there is a chiropractor in Michigan by the name of named Michael Burcon. Dr. Burcon has successfully treated hundreds of Meniere's and trigeminal neuralgia sufferers. Here is his website: http://www.dwebsite.com/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5button=628.

This is not magic. There is a very simple explanation why Meniere's can result from a misaligned Atlas Bone. My experience tells me that Meniere’s is fundamentally a mechanical disorder resulting in neurological symptoms (dizziness, inner ear fullness, hearing loss/distortion, vertigo, etc.) Erase the mechanical disorder, the neurological symptoms subside or go away entirely.

Here’s what I mean. Note that at its closest point, the Atlas is about 1" to 1-1/2" away from the inner ear. If the Atlas shifts toward the inner ear, body tissues in that area become compressed. Some of those body tissues comprise the inner ear itself. Residing in the inner ear canals is a liquid known as Endolymphatic fluid. Like all body fluids, Endolymphatic fluids are constantly recycled, new fluids replacing old. The old fluids pass through a tiny duct on the way to the Endolymphatic sac. If as a result of a dislocated Atlas the surrounding tissues compress and close off the tiny duct allowing these old fluids to recycle to the body, a build up of fluids will result in the semi-circular canals becoming swollen. That is the "feeling of fullness" associated with Meniere's. Complicating the matter, the hearing nerve sending signals to the brain passes right by the duct carrying these old fluids off. Swollen passages pressing on the hearing nerve cause the Meniere’s sufferer to experience tinnitus or ear ringing. Under the circumstance I describe Endolymphatic fluid will continue to build up until the “dam” breaks allowing the older fluid to finally escape through this tiny duct. Afterward, swollen inner ear canals shrink back to a more normal size. It is during this “dam breaking” and “canal shrinking” that vertigo occurs. After vertigo, the fullness is gone, tinnitus subsides and the hearing becomes as normal as it can for the Meniere’s sufferer. Of course, then the cycle repeats.

I would bet that repeated episodes of this phenomena could to some extent damage the semicircular canals and hearing nerve permanently, I don't know. Fortunately mine did not get that far before I figured out what was going on. For a detailed description of the theory that explains my symptoms, please refer to the PDF document I have attached. I have never uploaded anything to this site, so I hope it goes through. If anyone would like to get in touch with me or have a copy of this document emailed to you, please email at [email protected].

I hope you find this information useful. I am interested to know whether the treatment that has helped me also helps you.

Good luck!

Hank Sullivan
    Cumming, GA

2. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Well, thank you! this is really nice. I will enjoy reading it. I hope this is not a one-stop visit to the forum, but that you will stay and join our discussions and community.

Many of us have problems other than menieres.

Very nice to meet you, Hank.

3. cbwinters01

cbwinters01 New Member

Thank you very much for your story Hank. I believe there are several on this board that have found good benefits from the treatment that you speak of. There seem to be quite a few of us either going to a NUCCA practitioner, or Dr. of Osteotherapy. I'm sure others will be along. In the end, I'm not sure there is one answer for everyone (as we have found with the Menniet device, and John of Ohio's regimen), but this website is such a rich resource for a variety.
    I hope your success continues!

Thanks again,
    Cwinters

4. debin

debin New Member

Thanks Hank! I have heard of this before but never looked into it yet. Good luck!
    Debin

5. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

Hank

Thanks so much for taking the time to go into the detail you did. There are others including me who have gotten great relief from nucca chiro therapy, but I never could give it the detail you did. I also got massage therapy to help hold the new alignments.

Best of luck. Keep posting.

SpinininOhio

6. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

Excellent post, much appreciated, Hank! I am a guitar player and as a result of many years' playing, the left side of my upper back and neck is a mess. I don't even need a doctor to tell me this. I suffer very frequent cricks and muscle spasms (on my left side) that last for hours or days. My posture is screwed up and, of course, I continue to make my living as a musician, putting my posture in further jeopardy. Surprise, surprise - all my hydrops symptoms are also on the left side!

Even before I read your post, I had made an appt to see a NUCCA practitioner and have very high hopes for this treatment. The particular chiropractor I have chosen - because of geographical proximity - is just out of college and she is only now in the process of setting up her office. Therefore, I'll go and see her sometime in late February or March. She really sounded like she knew what she was talking about on the phone.

Your explanation of the endolymphatic fluid compression sounds totally feasible. I haven't read any studies to this effect but it's as good as any other theory and better than many.

Welcome to the forum, Hank!

George

7. Beth

Beth New Member

Hank,

You have given me hope that the "discomfort" I just endured yesterday and today at the chiropractor's office may be worth it in the end! He said my upper back, shoulders and neck are a mess, and is working on the "circle" around the first vertebra (vertebrae?)! Yesterday was my very first visit, and I can honestly say my daily off-balance problem felt better after coming out of there. Not completely gone, but better than it's been in the past week.

Many thanks for your post, and please continue to give us more helpful info. on this forum!

Beth

8. hydrops

hydrops New Member

Great post. So many different causes for MM and EH despite the definitions.

As a side note, Dr. Andrew Weill profiled sage osteopath Dr. Robert Fulford many times during his career. Dr. Fulford died in his early 90s ten years ago. Dr. Fulford cured many a child's ear infections with osteopathic techniques, and osteophathic methods have helped alleviate symptoms of MM. One of the unfortunate things about osteopaths---just like regular MDs---is that you have to be very careful who you choose.

9. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I have every confidence that any discomfort you experienced with the chiropractor will be short-lived and worth it. I have had enough experience now with TN and Meniere's to know that the cause is what I say. Have faith and please let me know how your symptoms go.

10. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

My left shoulder has always been higher than my right. And I think my left leg is shorter than my right. And my MM is in my left ear.

11. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Hank, thank you for that information. Dr Burcon posted here a couple of times about a year or so ago. But unfortunately people thought he was just trying to sell something, and so their replies to him were a little hostile. Sadly, we never heard from him again. Since then another upper cervical chiro has started to post here fairly regularly (GBesso). He has a large thread if you do a search. Dr Burcon's information was presented to the 4 yearly Meniere's conference. I have a link for that somewhere if you would like me to look for it.

I found the ideas behind a tilted C1 made a lot of sense, so I explored them further. I soon found that many people had eased their symptoms in this way, but kept having to return for more treatment. Did you find that? It demonstrated a strong link. So I kept digging further to find out why this happened. I soon found we can actually resolve the key reasons why the C1 tilts in the first place (excluding trauma of course). I eliminated all of my symptoms in this way, including hearing loss. So I can definately see that what you have found would help you.

It's really great that both you and your wife are feeling better and sharing your news/theory here. Otherwise we would all just be stuck with an idiopathic condition with little hope for improvement.

Lee

12. Soccermom

Soccermom New Member

Awesome post!!! Explained this treatment a little better than I had thought. Makes me want to make that call even more now!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much!

Laura

13. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

Hank,

Thanks for the post.

Maggie

14. lookout

lookout New Member

Please share how you or what you did to get the C1 adjustment to hold and work for symptom relief....I have been doing NUCCA for 6 months and everytime I go in I am off about 1/4 inch...I just can't seem to hold the adj...Thanks

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Me too. My Meniere's is confined to the left ear as well. Try the finger test from my earlier post.

Hank

16. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hi Lee,
    That is unfortunate that Dr. Burcon was received less than welcome by some. Dr. Burcon is for real, you can bet on it. Regarding returning for treatment (adjustments), absolutly it takes many trips, but week by week you get better. The muscles and ligaments in you neck have a certain "memory" that has to be "forgotten." New correct memory must be installed. Just like working-out re-trains your muscles to take a different shape, adjustments do the same thing. But you don't get muscular over night. It does take time, and visits, and a competent chiroprator, someone who can get his or her head into your particular problem. As I said, not every chiropractor can do this. And I'm sure that some upper cervical chiro's are better than others. The point is that this works; it has a sound basis in reason that anyone can understand. To the medical community, Meniere's is idiopathic. I belive that is nonsense! Sometimes I think that diseases are named after the first person who couldn't figure them out! That's the case with Meniere's. Please urge every Meniere's sufferer you know to go and get his or her neck checked.

17. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Lee, all I can tell you is that if you ultimately cannot get the adjustment to hold, try a different chiropractor. Before I had Meniere's, my wife and I went to a local guy who used a machine called a "Pro-Adjuster." For almost 3 years we went to treat her trigeminal neuralgia. Sometimes her adjustment would hold, sometimes it would not. Ultimately, we changed to Dr. Watts who specializes in upper cervical work. He has a certain protocol from which he does not vary. Each chiropractic discipline has its protocol. For example, while on vacation, we went to a chiro in St. Augustine. He taught me the index finger test. Well, Dr. Watts does not use that test because it is not in his protocol. I respect that. That's OK, but I still use it myself because I know it works for me.

The best thing I can report is that after one visit to Dr. Watts, although I still had tinnitus and some minor hearing loss, my vertigo was a thing of the past. That was in October '06. Now I go for maintenance. I can tell that my neck is still not where it needs to be, but I stay in the program. I know I can work it out.

My wife is probably the worst case scenario for any chiropractor. Her neck was so screwed up that it has taken a long time to get her to the point she's at now. But month after month, she keeps getting better. There really is no choice. This is the method by which we know we get better. So no matter how long it takes, this is what we do.

Stay patient. 1/4" is a huge Atlas dislocation. There is no breathing room in your head; so that dislocation is squeezing other tissues and placing pressure on the inner ear area. Your inner ear fluids must be allowed to recycle into the body. For that reason, fluids that cannot escape to recyle have no choice but to build up in your inner ear canals. Finally, enough pressure will build up that the fluids will break through, the canals shrink, new fluids mix with old, the chemistry of the fluids changes, and you experience vertigo. Then there is the calm after the storm. If you have not yet done so, please download my attachment and study it. There are good illustrations to help explain what I mean.

Please, don't lose the faith.

Everyone should remember this:

You are your best doctor.

18. pardonme

pardonme Guest

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Lookout, my reply was going to be pretty similar to Pardonme's.

Henry, I totally agree that it is up to us to share what actually works. Doctor's aren't in a position to recommend NUCCA's.

Lee

20. Moe

Moe New Member

Hi Hank,

Thanks for your input on this. I've tried the test but maybe I don't understand it--every time I do the test, my fingers are someplace else. So if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the misaligned atlas vertebra has a 'pulling' effect which causes the compression of the areas of the inner ear?