The Meniett

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Linda1002, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

Thank You Ocean I just recieved a emal from them. I gave them my info now I am waiting on a reply.
    I have my fingers and toes crossed.

Hugs Buffy

2. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Any news back, yet?

3. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

I have not heard anything back yet. I am going to contact the person at medtronic again and see what happens.

Hugs Buffy

4. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I pm'd you the email addresses. I hope that helps.

5. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

Thank You so much for your email Oceanbreeze. I was touched by it. I have contacte Medtronic again to see what or if they have found anything out. I am going to possibly see my doc today if not I will see him next week. I had another drop attack at work yesterday. I know now something is not right. I am glad this time I landed on my butt, it is well padded...

Hugs Buffy

6. rastanif

rastanif New Member

hello everyone, I am new to this site and have had meniere's disease for about 8 years-- earlier this year my vertigo attacks were very frequent and my doctor suggested the meniett device--I have been using it for about 3 months now and really don't see any difference. I don't know what I am going to do now--have an appointment next week.

7. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I'm basically letting off steam, feel free to comment if you want. I'll break it down simple.

1. 2003- Tricare Prime Insurance said they would pay for the meniett, we purchased it, then they denied it. $4k out of pocket.
    2. 2003-2005- We wrote appeal, after appeal. Tricare "We lost this, we lost that", ect.
    3. 2006-we demanded a formal hearing. Tricare said my husband, a lawyer, can't represent me, conflict of interest. Medtronic provided me with a lawyer, company representatives, and expert witnesses for the formal hearing.
    4. 2007-March-The hearing is set in San Diego, CA. The Judge travels from DC, the company travels from FL, the lawyer from OH, we drove 8 hours. The expert witnesses (doctors) were in San Diego. We all showed up. Guess who didn't? Got that right, Tricare who denied our 14 appeals.
    5. 2007-July; The judge made his ruling, he allowed the insurance company rebuttal via mail. The Judge gives the insurance company 3 months to give us the decision.
    6. 2007-December-The Judge ruled in my favor, the Director of the Insurance company did not. DENIED.
    7. We now are going to appeal to the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Why? My insurance will pay for a $30k brain surgery for me, but not an invasive medical piece of equipment? It's FDA approved, medical coded, yet my medical insurance won't pay for it. We can afford the $4k....what about those who can't and have to have the surgery? Sad world. :'(

8. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

I completly understand Ocean...I am one of those who can not afford the meniett right now. the only difference is I am not going for the surgery right now. I have had surgery once and it helped for about eight months. I feel why do it again if it did not work the first time.
    Well I went to my doc about a week ago and I was heart broken when I left the office. He treated me like I was wasting his time. So I woke up the next morning and said I am going to find another doctor. I am going to go to the university of Minnesota. If I do not get answers from them then I am going to the mayo clinic.
    I am totally convinced that insurance companies only care about money. sad thing is if they would pay for the meniett it would save them alot of money.

You are in my thoughts. Good Luck sounds like you will need it.
    Buffy

9. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I was dx'd at Rochester, MN, Mayo Clinic in 1980 by Dr. George Facer at 12 years old. After 28 years,he's still my hero, although I've been tested 4x since then. He gave me hope, I believe he retired but still testifies in court as a medical expert. Rochester Mayo is awesome, I hope you go there.

We'll be fine appealing to the Senate Armed Services Committee. We have many legal adversaries in our corner, now just to make our voice heard to Tricare.

I talked to Medtronic yesterday they are also have problems with the insurance Signal accepting the Meniett.

10. mbdizzyshock

mbdizzyshock New Member

I had many ventilation tubes placed in my left ear. I finally decided why not try the meniott device. I't was a nightmare. It kept breaking (I sent it in 3 times in 90 days. I asked meditronic to return my money and they said since it was a medical device they didn't have to return my money. Please be careful, if you can find a used one or someone who will let you use there's to see if it works for you. I lost a lot of money and it did not work for me at all. I am glad to see that it does work for some though anybody who finds a treatment that works has my blessing. Sorry about the negativity, but I found meditronic to be a horrible company and would not recommend them to anyone.

11. ToniG

ToniG Guest

It's a 60 day money back guarantee. I had mine extended to 90 days. I have been involved with Medtronic for 4 years and have had very positive results from every every level of the company. I am now at the top tier dealing with our insurance and if a company supplies FREE OF CHARGE, a lawyer, 2 representitives, and expert witnesses, and other odds and ends, they are an asset in book. Ask anyone old timer here, I ain't an easy one to please. :)

12. mbdizzyshock

mbdizzyshock New Member

I'm glad to hear your experience was positive. They either lied to me or have changed there policy's. I immediately wanted my money back and they said since it was a medical device law didn't require them to return my money. I was told it is treated like a prescription, and you can't get your money back on a prescription that does not work. I am not a liar, and I would not make this up. I really ticks me off actually that they treated me like this and have done so much for you. Don't get me wrong I don't fault you in any way and I am glad they are helping a fellow Menerian, you have to understand my experiece was awful. Also my insurance payed for everything but 900 dollars. Maybe they are trying to use your case to prove a point to insurance companies to further they're success at helping people attain insurance approval. I wonder how they would treat you if you tryed to return it after it was already payed for. That is why i still stand by original advice. By a used one, or make sure your preapproved from your insurance. This company has a great heart if they collected they're money, just try to get it back if this device is usuless or keeps breaking down. Sorry but that was experience.

13. chukar39

chukar39 New Member

Oceanbreeze I tried sending you a PM but your e-mail is blocked on your profile, send me a PM and your troubles might be over. I am AD Coast Guard who went through the tubes and Menietts device experience in 2002-2004.

14. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Any info is worth it's weight in gold. I emailed you. :) Our next step is the Senate COmmitte. The meniett should be paid for all menieres patients under Tricare as an option vs. invasive surgery.

15. chukar39

chukar39 New Member

Hello All,
    I have experienced burn-out in my MM ear, so am parting with my Menietts device on E-bay. If you are interested check it out and Good luck fighting this terrible disease.
    Chukar 39

16. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Congrats on the remission.

I talked to the judge. He basically said sometimes certian military medical facilities will use their own funds to buy medical equipment for active duty. As you know everything varies from region to region. Our goal is for ALL REGIONS to cover the meniett.

I'm just adding this for our June '08 move, it's from Tucker and services available nationwide.
    http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php?topic=10949.0

17. SamD

SamD New Member

I have been using my meniett for almost 3 yrs now, with only 3 major attacks and a few minor ones in that time. I wassufferring weekly before. I fought with my Insurance Co for a year to get them to reimburse me. This has been a Godsend. The only problems is wwhen I have let waxbuildup stop the pulse/airflow. Onc`e this year while traveling I had 1 of the major attacks because I forgot to use it. My bad. When I do get an attack I put on a transdermscop patch behind my ear and usually am able to go to sleep. My attacks have lasted upto 8 hars of continual dizzyness with vomiting to the point of major dry heaves. This machine, the meniett has saved my life. Thanks to my Dr and Medco.

18. kim

kim New Member

I was told by my doctor and the meniett company that the device was recently taken off the investigational status. My insurance company is still not paying for it. I am on my second appeal. I have been on the FDA website and placed several calls and have not been able to get any information. I was given an approval code by the meniett company. I thought this might help my chances. If anyone has any infromation please pass it on. This is my last appeal and I cannot afford the cost of the machine. Any help would be apprectiated. Thanks.

19. LisaB

LisaB New Member

My advice is to verify in writing that your insurance company REALLY knows that it is covered by medicare. My insurance company finally got it onto a doctor's desk (with my brother's help) and he said he couldn't believe it was covered by medicare. He verified, and then approved it. Many times it is getting it to the right person. All insurance companies take their cue from medicare and follow what they cover, in time. In time is the key. Good luck to you. You can always appeal to your state insurance person too. Lisa

20. wobblyti

wobblyti New Member

Hi Kim,

LisaB has good advice.

Check with the Meniett Co- about who's covered the Meniett in your state- they gave me a listing of all the insurance co. & Medicare who had covered it in my state.

Make sure your drs. letter to insurance co. says that you need the Meniett because you're either not a candidate for other more invasive treatments or that you've failed more conservative treatments,- meds, etc.

I wrote a personal letter to the insurance co. on the appeals stating how much the Meniere's affects me daily & how I've gotten 40% relief from symptoms with the Meniett. Not a cure, mind you, but relief I hadn't gotten through other treatment.

Keep on being persistent, & pay close attention to details about appeals- time limits for filiing, etc. They want people to give up after 1st or 2nd try.

Some people ( seeking ins. coverage for medical devices) I know of have gone through their State Representative or Senator for personal assistance. It's worth a try .

It took me 1 1/2 yrs to get Blue Cross Blue Shield of KS to cover it- that was through 3 appeals & final appeal to the Kansas Insurance Commission. BCBS covers it only on a case by case basis here in KS - & it took the opinion of a Physician (from England ) in my favor-- on the Insurance Commision appeal to
    get it finally covered.

It was worth it in the end.

My very best wishes to you,

Teri