Thoughts about Viral Cause of Meniere's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by KennedyLane, Apr 1, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

I posted the following sentence on another thread yesterday: "Coincidentally, my husband came home tonight and told me about a patient he saw today that he diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. She had Bell's Palsy, vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss along with blisters on her ear on the symptomatic side. He told me it's caused by Herpes Zoster (from chicken pox virus) and treated with antivirals."

I've been thinking more about the fact that the medical community accepts that Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is caused by a herpes virus and can cause symptoms affecting the ear and balance systems. There are cases of RH where the symptoms are permanent even with antiviral treatment. If that is so, than why is it such a far leap for some physicians to believe that some cases of Meniere's Disease (also manifesting with ear and balance system symptoms) have a viral etiology as well??

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Good question! The anecdotal evidence is there to support the viral theory in some cases.:)