Today's dex injection update

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by HappyGrace, Apr 25, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Hi everyone-
    The dex shot thankfully went very well-it was at 2:00, so I was in and out pretty quickly and I'm feeling just fine so far (I realize it's early yet-hope things stay this good!) He said it might take up to a week before it starts kicking in. It wasn't very painful at all and the quick dizziness after was not nearly as bad as it was w/ the gent injection-very minor.
    He sounded really optimistic about it working, so I'm just going to assume the best! He said he has had good results with it in the past. He said he has had some patients who needed more than one shot, and some who it just didn't work for, but it works well with many people. I said, well, isn't it just a short term relief though and he didn't seem to think that at all, that some people never come back after, some may need a shot once a year or every 3-5 years, etc.
    Dr. Gacek (my AV doctor in Mass) also seemed very optimistic-that dex injections have really helped his AV patients who get breakthrough vertigo. I am just going to remain extremely hopeful that this will help me.
    Like I said, I don't really trust this local neurotologist that much though-he says the AVs are totally unproven and don't do anything, etc. ALSO, that it is HIGHLY unlikely that allergies are causing this episode for me-that it's just a classic presentation of Meniere's and allergies wouldnt affect it that much. WHAT???!!!!
    All that being said, I said I am done with this hanging over my head, and talked to him about VNS vs. shunt as a next step (if the dex doesn't work and I need an option). He said he has done many shunts and had excellent results with it, and only extremely rarely has anyone needed VNS after he does a shunt. And that the shunt is outpatient, much less recovery, risk, etc, whereas VNS is a last-resort surgery-would cause MAJOR dizziness during recuperation, lots of vestibular rehab needed, etc.-which I knew all that. (Also, I would never have him do a VNS-I would take out a loan if I had to and go to House, so VNS would be a super $$$$ option for me.)
    I had pretty much ruled out shunt in my mind before he said all this, thinking they weren't very effective, so I would have skipped right over that and done a VNS. So now I'm kind of happy to hear that he has done a lot of shunts with great results. Now I feel like I have a better next option available (if needed) than VNS or laby.
    Anyway, thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts today!

2. Donamo

Donamo Guest

So far so good, HG :)

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Great update! Prayers going up you continue to feel good!

4. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Grace: I assume you are not bilateral? I'm glad the injection went well. I hope it works for you. Don't be surprised if you need a couple more.
    Bless all,
    Ron

5. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Wishing all the best for you Grace :)

6. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Thanks to everyone for checking in and caring!!!

No, Ron, not bilateral, although for months I've started hearing a "toilet running" noise faintly in the good ear when I am in bed and it's quiet. Occasionally I get a tiny bit of distortion (especially this past wk) or tinnitus in that ear but I am duly ignoring it.

Still feeling very good tonight :)

7. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Great news, Grace. Take very good care of that "good" ear.

Keep us posted.

Ron

8. GLA

GLA New Member

For what it's worth, I had shunt surgery on my right side in 1991, and I stayed vertigo free for 20+ years. The shunt can be very effective, IMO.

Having said that, my vertigo has returned and now I'm about to start the SSP.

9. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

Definitely go for the shunt before the more invasive VNS. As he told you it's much less invasive--and in my case and many others, takes the 'vertigo'---away! And not your hearing and balance. That being said, many here have had the VNS with much success but it should be after trying the shunt--just my opinion! :)

10. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Hope you are still doing well HG..check in when you can.