Update:Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough, elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Jan 11, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Re: Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough? elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patient

But Caroline! Dear one! Every doctor you may go to see receives personal gain from you doing so. Yet you go to see them, and you take their advice, and then you go back again, and again, and I expect that you trust them or you wouldn't go. Every car salesman receives personal gain from you buying a car. Yet you buy the car. I could go on. Here, you read my words and you trust them because you believe that I have nothing to gain personally. Well look, Dr. Burcon is telling you the very same message I'm telling you, the very same message. And Dr. Burcon is much more eminently qualified to speak to and administer this treatment than I am, is he not? So let me just suggest to you, and maybe some others, that perhaps sometimes the personal rules and policies that we adopt to justify our own personal health decisions are the very rules and policies that might keep us from getting healthy.

And I respectfully disagree with you about the personal gain aspect of this where I am concerned. Every time someone takes my advice, and by doing so that advice helps to remedy their symptoms, I receive personal gain. It feels really good, something more valuable than any money, something money cannot buy. So indeed, I think I speak for JOH and Larry and Papa and anyone who has come here volunteering what they know that ends up helping someone, we do receive personal benefit from doing so. If we did not, I expect that we would not do it.

And regarding Dr. Burcon, he is not immune from feeling good from helping people either. And I have personal knowledge of Dr. Burcon taking cases from right here at menieres.org, and doing so free of charge. And since you trust what I say because I have nothing to gain personally from saying it, you can also trust me when I tell you that.

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Re: Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough? elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patient

Hi Hank, as often happens here what I said was not taken how it was meant. I am not advising anyone not to believe Dr. Burcon, NUCCA or anyone else who has something to offer us, what I mean is that I am extra careful in my approach when something like this comes up and there is an obvious benefit to the person promoting it. I have no opinion of Dr. Burcon as I have not talked to him nor have I tried the procedure. If it helps 1 person then that is good.

I understand what you mean by you getting personal gain, of course, we are all good people and helping others is such a good feeling inside for us and being able to lead someone to a treatment that may indeed "cure" their symptoms would be a wonderful feeling indeed.

3. austdrop

austdrop New Member

I understand there are different types of chiropractors just as there are different types of doctors. What methods are we talking about here – the hands or machine type manipulation or both ? I was going to a chiropractor before I had Meniere’s and just found the whole process off putting. Don’t know how it works in your area but the one I went to just seemed a glossy money making shop with all the brochures and contract type payments. A couple of quick minutes on the table – click click bang bang money please see you next week. Maybe that’s the modern way of business and I need to get used to it but there just didn’t seem to be an end to the course and the money just got too much so I gave it away after about a dozen visits. However there may be something in it – my neck and back gives me hell and I would even give it a try again however not in that type of practice as I just felt I was being ripped off. Plenty of childhood accidents - motorbikes, football, falling out of trees so maybe ?

4. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

I don't understand why these threads on chiro get so bent out of shape either.

Just wanted to add that Burcon does the Blair method which is different than Nucca in the way that they interpret the info as far as I know.They are both upper cervical techniques.

Caroline, I don't think Burcon is promoting anything on this thread,Larry started the post.

Boomer Ann,Thanks for sharing your story,I know when you read or find something and you have that sense of relief that you have found an answer or possibly some information that can help you.It is overwhelming sometimes.

Just want to add in my opinion of dancing and working with dancers all these years that the tail bone and neck are definitely connected,when there is a problem in one area the other is affected as well.I wish you luck with what ever treatment you try.
    I said in an earlier post that Burcon sent me the dvd to Sweden.postage free.I was pleasently surprised.Interviews with patients who look very real are on there.
    I see a nucca in Michigan and he is the best..

The tv show the doctors I think it is called also had an episode with someone who went to a doc who uses the activator device which also adjusts the neck.You can probably look at their website and see the video.

5. Boomer Ann

Boomer Ann Even Baby-Boehner has nothing on me....

Hank...Thank you SO MUCH! ;D

6. Boomer Ann

Boomer Ann Even Baby-Boehner has nothing on me....

7. Omegaman

Omegaman New Member

Boomer Ann, best of luck and let us know how it goes.

8. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

I read about this recently as well, and thought it was very cool. I too was in a very bad auto accident (my head went through the windshield, coincidentally on my left side, my bad side) about 10 years before my symptoms began. I saw a regular chiro a couple of years ago for months who did NOTHING for me, but am planning to see a NUCCA practitioner in a few weeks to see if it helps. I'm willing to try just about anything to feel better (within some reasonable limitations, of course.) :) Thanks for posting. I agree that even if one Menierean no longer has to suffer, that's good news. This disease is horrific.

9. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Austdrop, where do you live? Australia? USA? Where. The chiropractor your went to before, you referenced a machine. Did he use a machine? What was it called?

10. austdrop

austdrop New Member

Henry - Australia - I suppose more of a mechanical type of bench than a machine but very little use of his hands. It was similar to a massage table but from memory it was in sections and you lay face down. He would get you in a particular position then with a very sudden movement (and noisy) a section would shift and I assume adjust the spine. I can't remeber how he did this whether by a mechanical lever or by electronic means but it was very quick. This was repeated a few times and that was it. Like I said it was a very modern place and all the gear appeared to be very new. I suppose I just couln't get over the difference of the old hands on style with what I am calling the new way and what it was costing. I now think my medical insurance covers some of these methods so I definitely haven't completely discarded anything. I will have a search later and If I find something I think was similar I will save the link.
    Thanks

11. tm53

tm53 New Member

Have his stats been validated?

Not a challenge, it's just a question.

12. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

My "accident" occured as a child taking acrobatic lessons. The older kids (teenagers) were able to do back flips on their own. I was still at the stage of requiring a belt with an adult holding a rope on either side, so that when you jumped backwards if your arms weren't strong enough to hold you (and mine were not), the adults would keep you from falling on your head. Well . . . as I was watching these teenagers, I thought I can do that. I tried it with no support . . . and landed on my head. ::) I also took some bad bumps when I was practicing some judo a few years later. m-m-m ???

Jacquie

13. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

Austdrop, my chiropractor uses that, too and I find it very jarring. I've asked him to use the activator on me instead, which he does.

Jacquie

14. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

As most of you know.. I did NUCCA for 9 months. I stopped 3 weeks ago due to extreme pain on the left side after adjustments. I have not returned. I got a call from the NUCCA office wanting me to reschedule. I explained the the secretary what was happening to me. I was very concerned about the pain I was in and something wasnt right.
    I had no xrays done since my first visit. I would think that xrays should be taken again after 3-4 months..maybe sooner.. I dont know.
    His secretary told me that it was strange that no more xrays were taken for that amount of time. She also told me that she was a patient of NUCCA and that maybe the adjustments should have been modified and that could be the cause of the pain.
    I will find out tomorrow at my appt. I would like to know what happened.
    NUCCA has helped me a great deal with the dizziness. I expressed this so many times in other posts. Headaches are gone, feels like a weight has been lifted off the base of my skull. I use to get the sounds of buzzing in my left ear when I laid down at night.. GONE . I can hold my head up straight..and finally walk without veering off to the left. I can walk across a parking lot without holding onto something.
    The only problem I have..is the pain that came after the adjustments on several occasions. I was told to ice or use moist heat...neither touched that pain. Medication did not help it. Its been 3 weeks since Ive been there..maybe 4. The pain is gone now. Tomorrow will be interesting.
    I have recommended NUCCA in so many post and I still do.
    If you are a person that holds their head to the left or right..and you cant hold it up without a dizzy spell..something is wrong. Its worth checking into.
    I will let you all know what happens at the visit.

15. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

If you have had head trauma before and felt the impact in your neck, then it make sense to me. I have wacked the back of my head three times that left me in a state of shock after it occured.

16. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

I think it's hilarious that a guy who cries with such righteous indignation when other posters doubt that he ever even had Menieres at all doesn't at all see the hypocrisy in his decision to judge another person's experience and tries to claim with any degree of authority what that person's problems we and why they were fixed.

Hank, I received a call from St. Stephen. He wanted to know if I could give him your contact info so you could give him lessons on how to be a more effective martyr.

And, Caribbean, the irony of it all is that the "LOL" I posted had nothing at all to do with actual NUCCA. it had to do with the irony that a very small - but exceedingly noisy - number of posters on is site spew conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory about why you should doubt claims made by "conventional" medicine, yet don't even flinch at supposed "facts" spouted from a guy whose stated claim is that the therapy he does (and makes a living doing) is the greatest breakthrough in the history of medicine and cures every conceivable ailment known to man. That's what the LOL was for.

17. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

And while we're in the business of diagnosing strangers, I think it mint be interesting to do a Google search for the term "Dunning-Kruger effect." It's a rather enlightening read.

18. hurricaneone

hurricaneone New Member

I to had a severe blow to the head that I believe started my menieres problem. I also was in two car wrecks that shook me really good. So now I am being referred to dr roy sweat in atlanta to be treated with a form of nucca called atlas orthogonal. I plan on turning over every stone out there on my way to the laby if need be.Larry

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I agree that you need new xrays. With the pain, I do not understand why he would not to a six month review of his assumptions. I expect that if he does xrays he will find something new. Yes, I know that you will report back.

Good luck.

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I think they call that a drop table, and I have no experience with that at all. In the past I have looked in Australia, but I have not found a NUCCA certified practitioner.

But regarding various methods, one must be careful. I never had Meniere's symptoms until after I undertook a chiropractic treatment called the Pro-adjuster. I just had lower back pain. This was quick and easy. But after a year, I still had the pain and All of a sudden Meniere's too. So I dunno. But I do not recommend that treatment. I recommend NUCCA. Even then, there is at least one NUCCA practitioner whom I would not recommend. I believe most are probably very good. But just like every group has a bad apple...