Vinegar Warning

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by deercharmer1, Jul 22, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Many of us use balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar for marinades and salad dressings.

Unfortunately, I just learned (by finally reading the labels, duh ::)....) that both of these contain sulfites.

I react horribly to sulfites, and know that others here do as well.

It pays to check your labels!!!

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Sure enough! I checked my balsamic vinegar and it has sulfites.

Up here in Canada, the government has just announced its intention to require all allergens to be clearly labeled on the food package. It's about time.

Joe

3. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

what is sulfites?

4. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Sulfites are also in all wines sold in the United States. I don't know if the amount of sulfites is regulated in any way and don't know if other countries put more or less in their wines. I long ago stopped drinking Portugese wines and most Spanish wines because it seemed I got a raging headache when I did.

One of the things my wife and I noticed when we were in Italy a couple of years ago was that despite the huge amount of wine we,as well as others in the group, seemed to consume, nobody ever complained of a hangover. I also noticed that there were some wines at some of the wneries we visited did not import to the US. I never looked at lables and didn't even think about it till we got home, but I'm wondering if wines in Italy do not contain (or have as high a concentration of) sulfites.

TOny

5. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

It could be in the way they make the wine-Old world style (the way our ancestors made wine) may be the best way to make wine.