What have you learned today?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by shartsoe, Apr 30, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

That I am a very fortunate lady. My life is full of love and laughter but most of all good health!

2. daBronx

daBronx New Member

When I stop at a corner I look to the left to see if there is any oncoming traffic but I also have to look to the right as well because oftentimes a pedestrian will cross the street and if I'm not looking to the right I can quite easily hit them or knock them down.

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Leaves don't fall. They're pushed.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114288700

4. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

Just how easy it is to get lost in a world that is always trying to throw you off balance.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I learned how important it is to stay focused and be strong. I ran a 10K on Saturday after training for it for 2 months. There were a few times when I thought I'd have to quit because my symptoms flared up but I stuck with it and it was just so amazing to participate in this big charity event and run all those 6.2 miles.

6. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Not so much learnt today, as it is becoming more evident by the hour, that the Australian electorates favoured a thing, presumably of lower evolutionary development than the first hominidae.

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

You go, girl! I'm training for my first 5K starting today! (Love your new avatar. You're rocking the confidence!)

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Hey, Nathan! It's good to see you again!

9. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

congratulations on your 10k! I know you know how important exercise is in all phases of life. Especially in the fight for good health and mental well being. Good for you!!

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Thank you! I've been going through a happiness spurt for a while now. Feels good :)

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Thanks redwing. You would know how important it is because you are one active person also! I'm thinking of training for a half in December. We'll see how much time it requires.

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Oh and that's super news! Let me know if you need any tips on the 5K. I remember going from zero to 3.1 miles and it felt as though I'd climbed Mt. Everest! Such a great feeling.

13. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Thanks! I'm using an iPhone app Couch to 5K (C25K). It comes highly recommended for people who are not used to being active. I imagine I'll have the same reaction to finishing a 5K. I'm also trying to lose weight and changing the way I eat. It's been a process but I think I am showing some progress already.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That's a good one. It works.

15. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Seven stupid corn chips have 140 calories. :mad:

16. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thanks, Shartsoe!

Mmmm, my will is weak at the thought of nacho cheese doritos. Speaking of calories, feast your eyes on this potential heart attack

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/mar/02/pizza-hut-2880-calorie-monstrosity-worlds-burgeoning-food-crisis

17. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Oh man that's disgusting! I was speaking of the plain old, Mexican restaurant variety chips. Which is really depressing, seeing as how I adore chips and salsa.:-(

18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Random FYI: If seven ol' Mexican variety corn chips have 140 calories, if you ate 12 of these corn chips you would consume the energy equivalent of a stick of dynamite. Conveniently, the caloric energy of 12 corn chips would be released over several hours, rather than a millionth of a second.

In which case, "seven stupid corn chips have 140 calories" really blows..

19. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

You see, that's what this thread is all about! ;D

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Hi Nathan!

:)