What have you learned today?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by shartsoe, Apr 30, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Salve, Sarita :)

2. Nathan

Nathan New Member

That despite the camel, gazelle, bison & buffalo etc being even-toad ungulates, or hoofed animals, the closest living relative to the hippopotamus, which is also a even-toad ungulates, is in fact the whale.

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Not being persnickety, but is that "even-toed?" or are they truly related to "toads" in some way?

4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

You're absolutely right. I stand corrected. Even-toed. Even-toed ungulates. As for toads, I'm ignorant of the Anura order. I know they're related to their Sacopteygain ancestor of the paleozoic era, however other than, I'm out of the amphibia loop. Unless 'all carbon based life is related' works for you? :D

Are even-toed animals truly related to toads? I'm not exactly sure of the details. Let's find out!

5. Nathan

Nathan New Member

However other than that. However other than that, I'm out of the amphibia loop.

I'm not sure what I hate more, making a typo or my irresistible compulsion to correct them regardless of impact or lack thereof.

6. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Well, I learned today, thanks to you, that there are even-toed ungulates and odd-toed ungulates and that odd-toed ungulates are indeed amphibians.

7. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Well I guess you toad him!! :D

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

;D

9. Nathan

Nathan New Member

It's always beneficial to keep a curious Aye out, particularly when it comes to interesting facts about odd-toed ungulates.

Recommended also is to chant at least one sacred Shrimp Mantris a week, too.

10. Nathan

Nathan New Member

That the German physicist, Karl Schwarzschild, provided the first exact solution to the Einstein field equation of general relativity by developing the Schwarzschild radius which led to the prediction of black holes.

You may say 'but that's common knowledge in the land of nerd. What have you learnt today?'

I learnt that Karl did this while huddled in a German trench under Russian gunfire on the Eastern Front during World War 1.

In a letter to Einstein written from his trench, Schwarzschild wrote:

"As you see, the war treated me kindly enough, in spite of the heavy gunfire, to allow me to get away from it all and take this walk in the land of your ideas."

If that's not the greatest example of not giving a f!@k, or the ability the mind has to distract itself during times of stress, I don't know what is.

People resort to alcohol & Netflix while trying to deal with the stress of learning the mathematics involved in tensor fields defined on a Lorentzian manifold in order to understand general relativity. Karl resorts to inventing the Schwarzschild solution, the Schwarzschild coordinates, & the Schwarzschild metric which leads to the derivation of the Schwarzschild radius to form an exact solution to general relativity, while in a frozen hole under heavy Russian gunfire in a World War.

That's badass.

11. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Sriracha sauce is some seriously hot stuff! I made a recipe that called for it and couldn't even finish it -- and this is coming from someone who ate jalapeno peppers all through my last pregnancy. No more sriracha sauce for me. :-[

12. Nathan

Nathan New Member

CM-2 type carbonaceous chondrites, a class or meteorite, contain niacin, which is vitamin B3.

I find it simultaneously disturbing & hilarious that an asteroid impact, endowed with extinction level potential, is thoughtful enough to provide a vitamin that allows us to relax & sleep at night.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

My kids put it on everything. I have to stop them sometimes :D

14. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

They've burned their tastebuds out, that's the only explanation for this!

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Or they take after their dad :D I grew up eating very spicy food but I can't handle it much now. I'm a little old lady ;D I like to taste my food not what's overpowering it.

16. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

^^ Little old lady...really come on!!!

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

;D

18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I leant two things.

1) upon the discovery of a single grey hair in my goatee, I leant that I'm becoming a wizard.

& 2) CNN do not understand the meaning of breaking news. The 102 year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic is not breaking news. That would be the opposite of breaking news. It's not even, like, a even number anniversary.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Gandalf?

20. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Grey or White?