What's for breakfast?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Apr 21, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Hey you MD sufferers that believe diet is important, what do you have for breakfast? For the past year or so I have been having 2 fried eggs and some homemade apple sauce, made with no added sugar. Before that, I used to have a wonderful homemade granola with rolled oats, pumkin seed, flax seed, almonds, roasted pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, raw cashews and quinoa flakes, agave syrup, honey, walnut oil, craisins with soy milk.

I stopped eating that because of the high arginine content and switched to eggs and apple sauce.

I would like to eat something quicker to have each morning. The granola was fine because my wonderful wife could make up a bunch ahead of time.

So, sufferers with a dietary bent, what do you have for breakfast? What about you Katniss, or does wifesonfloor prepare a different omelet for you each morning and serve it in bed? :)

2. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

If she says yes my hubby is in big trouble. :)
    As for breakfast, lately mine is a Van's whole wheat waffle with a teaspoon of butter and a teaspoon of real maple syrup and some kind of fruit. Sometimes it's a hard boiled egg and fruit. And coffee. Always coffee, but I know that many here cannot tolerate caffeine.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Gluten free oats in almond milk with two tbs. of ground chia seeds. My second breakfast is an omelet with one whole egg, three whites and lots of baby spinach made in coconut oil.

4. upgrader

upgrader New Member

Eggs are really high in arganine, when i had my first attack in November, i had been eating 3 eggs each morning for a few months

Now i have a salmon and salad for breakfast

5. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I have one of several things for breakfast,
    gluten free waffles (I just like how they taste, gluten doesn't seem to bother me), with a bit of real maple syrup, a protein like low fat edam cheese or some low fat cottage cheese with it,

or I have egg white omelet (2 egg whites fried in olive oil) on half a hard roll.

or I have 1 slice of TJs French toast topped with a few slices of fruit with 1 slice of turkey bacon (low fat, no nitrates)

or an English muffin with a slice of melted low fat cheese like Monterey jack or edam or jarlseburg.

I always start with half a glass of OJ or apple juice and sometimes have a small glass of rice dream milk with my breakfast meal.

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I wonder if the egg whites alone are high in arginine

7. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I just looked it up and yes it is high in arginine but has more Lysine than arginine

Egg, whole, cooked, fried
    Lysine: 986mg Arginine: 887mg
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-001083000000089000000-4w.html

8. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled
    Lysine: 800mg Arginine: 644mg
    Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled
    Lysine: 904mg Arginine: 755mg

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-001083000000089000000-3w.html

9. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Lol! That's funny! Phil does many wonderful things for me, but cooking is not his forte - especially eggs. But he's working on it. :) He does make a mean ratatouille, though!

All of these breakfast options sound wonderful. Donamo, I'm not sure if the concerns about arginine are all that valid honestly. ??? Since dairy products, especially yogurt and milk, are high in lysine, perhaps that can help with balancing the whole lysine to arginine ratio. Again, not sure that it will make that much difference one way or another. It is unfortunate to have an overly restrictive diet for uncertain benefit. Err on the side of caution if you'd like and just have the granola a couple of days a week perhaps?? You're trading a breakfast very high in fiber for one very low in fiber. That fiber is essential for good bacteria in the gut. :)

One thing I like to do is quickly saute some veggies I try to keep chopped up in the fridge, such as cauliflower (instead of potatoes - which we eat every Sunday for breakfast), onions, garlic, greens of some kind, and mushrooms. I top this with either scrambled or poached eggs. A little feta cheese on top. Yum!

Or old-fashioned or Scotch oatmeal topped with a dollop of whole milk Greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey or some chopped dried apricots or dates. On the side, some berries and a handful of dry-roasted, unsalted almonds. This one sticks with me until lunch!

Or a baked potato topped with Tasty Bites Madras Lentils and a little cheddar cheese or dollop of the Greek yogurt.

Or a 100% whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter or almond butter.

This morning was Easter eggs and a homemade banana muffin. :)

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

The lysine/arginine thing has never been an issue for me, fortunately. I don't eat from a few food groups but I eat a lot from others.

11. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

lysine/arginine seems to be an issue for me, and I pretty much follow an anti-migraine diet (haven't been diagnosed w/ MAV, but trying it to see if it helps)-so no banana, cheese, citrus, etc.

I usually do 2 egg whites/one whole egg, scrambled, with a low sodium relish on top, and a green smoothie (spinach and pineapple)-spinach is high arginine ratio but I've been fine on it for 2 months

or a protein shake-whey protein with skim milk (dairy doesn't bother me and seems to help me due to high lysine)

I eat very plain right now-trying to figure out if i have food triggers. I was just about to add oatmeal back in but vertigo came back so I'm sticking with plain stuff.

Although I'm now thinking food may be NOTHING to do with it, since all I eat besides the above is basically chicken, yams, and acorn squash, and I'm STILL getting the worst vertigo episode since Sat. that I've had in a long time!

Everyone's breakfasts sound YUMMY!!!!!!!!

12. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Grace, triggers can be more than 1, so yes it can be brought on by allergies and certain foods, as both does with me. But since you have no changed your diet I would guess it may be allergies right now affecting you. But that doesn't mean a particular food cant affect you as well, when you start adding things back, hopefully one at a time so you can clearly see how that food affects or not affects you.

13. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Yes, thanks, that's why I am not adding anything back right now! When I do, it will certainly be one at a time.

14. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Btw, if you're avoiding foods only because they are high in arginine, you can simply take some lysine with that food to increase the lysine to arginine ratio.

Also, if you're on antivirals, this is a moot point.

I'm not sure that just because (if) lysine might have been shown to somehow increase viral replication in a petri dish - remember viruses are not living things on their own - that the same occurs in vivo, meaning in the human body.

Just my 2 cents. ;D

15. ring

ring New Member

Sorry to insert a question into the thread.

An MM sufferer should be concerned about arginine?

16. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Only if your MM is caused by the HSV or a similar virus that embedded itself in the nerve inside the ear

17. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Not really Katniss, I am on AV's and nuts which are high in arginine affect me if I over indulge. If I eat more arginine than the AV has power over so to speak it is not a moot point. AV's do not suppress the virus that well under certain circumstances

18. Juz

Juz New Member

Ring, I believe some are avoiding arginine due to the theory that arginine encourages/feeds the herpes virus thought to be the cause (or part of the cause) of MM.
    Conversely, increased lysine intake is encouraged. John of Ohio advocates lysine use in his regimen for this reason.

From what I have read (not much compared to others), the impact of arginine on HSV is still up for debate.

For the record, increased lysine intake did nothing for me. if anything I have felt better since stopping John's regimen. Not to say it doesn't work for many, it just didn't work for me. I'm also not suggesting that the regimen had any negative impact on my MM, it's more that other factors have changed at the same time and these seem to be more influential for me than any viral infection. Stress and emotional upheaval are far and away my biggest triggers, so a more stable and stress free existence has done more for me than anything else, my recent dietary changes included.

Back to the original post, breakfast is my biggest challenge too! I have porridge (aka oatmeal) with honey most mornings.

This morning it was a piece of wholemeal with 2 scrambled eggs (yolks included).

A couple of times a week I will cook some kale in cold pressed EV olive oil over low heat, with some garlic. I then add this to an omelette with lentils.

I no longer drink coffee (I'd try the SS protocol of only to get coffee back into my life!) as it is a huge tinnitus trigger for me, so I have loads of water before and with breakfast. I don't like juice, and would prefer to eat the fruit itself and get the fibre asking with all that sugar.

This week to am going to get started on making my own coconut kefir and will have this each morning with my brekkie.

19. Juz

Juz New Member

Apologies for all the typos, I'm on my phone with a sleeping baby in my arms!

20. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

My standard breakfast is shredded wheat with a dash of honey, some soy milk and a sliced banana.

Though when I get up late, my wife often surprises with with a vegetarian version of sushi--a little fish, a lot of sliced vegetables in place of rice, some low sodium soy saucy and wasabi.

I like them, both, but I am guessing the first one is better for both my diet and Menieres, even though they are about equal in calories.

I am a fish addict, and sometimes will make a breakfast of lox, egg whites and onions. I'm not Jewish, but love a lot of different Jewish foods from a lifetime of living with a lot of Jewish colleagues and friends. I even like Gefilte fish and matzoh ball soup! And while I don't eat it any more due to the fat and calories, there is something heavenly about a perfectly done brisket, and some freshly baked challah!