Why now can't I sleep?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by minnesotadizzy, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. minnesotadizzy

minnesotadizzy New Member

I was told I had Meniere's just a couple of months ago. Apparently I have had it for a while and the doctors around thought I had a heart problem or was depressed, until this year.

I was always wanting to sleep until just a few weeks ago.... now I can't sleep at all. Is this any part of this disease or might I have something else going on now with the Meniere's? Has anybody else gone through this also?

I have learned somuch for this site! I was a member of another, but did not learn much there! I also ordered Tuck's DVD to explain to the people around me what is happening. My family, friends and employer are all supportive of me which helps!!

Dave aka:Minnesotadizzy

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

sleep -
    irregular
    interrupted
    fleeting
    shallow

fatigue
    tiredness

Dave, it is all part of the deal sad to say.
    Paul

3. burd

burd New Member

Hi Dave,
    I too have found this site to be so helpful in so many ways. You are blessed to have supportive people around you.
    I have heard of sleep problems being attributed to menieres because of the tinnitus or feeling sick but it doesn't seem to be considered a common symptom, that I've heard of anyway. I have had ongoing problems with insomnia, but for me it's because of other reasons. I have found that melatonin has been very helpful.
    It will be interesting for both of us to see if anyone has had sleep problems because of this disease.
    Nice to meet you!

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Dave,

My big problem with sleep was sleeping soundly for my full 7 to 8 hours. Tinnitus was very disruptive for me and I often ended up with only 4 hours of slumber, too little for me. This led to worsening symptoms. Eventually, I would get so tired that I would sleep silently in the deep well of exhaustion.

I tried sleeping pills and they helped me over some of my more difficult times.

Joe

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Dave -

Many of us seem to have difficulty sleeping. In my case, I think I just haven't learned to shut off my thoughts. I'll usually go to sleep right away and then toss and turn all night, unless I'm utterly exhausted.

Fatigue can be a trigger. It is for me. Try to get as much rest as you can however you can.

6. shudabenanun

shudabenanun Laters baby

I had sleeping problems before dx with MM. I take Ambien at night now... Hope you start sleeping better soon...

7. michele

michele New Member

I was recently diagnosed and have had trouble sleeping for quite some time, mostly because of the high pitched ringing in my ear. Now I know what and why it is, have asked dr for sleeping pill!

8. nassman

nassman Guest

Dave,

The actual disease of Meniere's is a dysfunction of the workings of the inner ear and should not have any effect on your ability to sleep unless you are in a the middle of a vertigo attack. Sleep disorders have nothing to do with mebniere's.

Some people may have a tough time getting used to tinnitus but once the tinnitus is accepted and adpted to sleep becomes natural.

Worry, stress, not being able to "shutt off" thoughts, etc., will keep a person awake. There are treatments for this.

9. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

I have started taking Ambien so that I can get a full nights sleep other wise I would just lay in my bed wide awake and sometimes cry because I was sooooooooooooo TIRED. not any more I take an ambien and within 30 mins I'm out cold.

10. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Hi Dave-

Any chronic illness/disease can very much have an effect on an individuals sleep patterns.
    Is your daily routine any different since you have developed Menieres? Any changes can very much
    affect our body's "clock".
    I did not require a lot of sleep before I developed Menieres, but ever since this thing decided to challenge me.... I have suffered bouts of insomnia at least every few months (if not more often). I do try everything I know to do to help with these, but sometimes nothing works and it just takes time for my body to give in to a real full nights sleep. I have not broke down and taken anything medication wise for sleep yet- just due to the fact that I have to take so many medications already for my severe allergy problems and I'm not ready to add anything to the mix.
    I do know this much, stress of any kind will definitely affect your sleep patterns. When your mind is not relaxed and it is thinking of everything else.... it doesn't allow your body to relax and go to sleep.

Best wishes and hope sleep comes to you soon!
    Dianna

11. cheese

cheese New Member

I disagree nassman .....when part of your vestibular has been wiped out, and your brain isnt compensating right you tend to feel like you are on a boat

Ive had trouble sleeping in the past just because of the nausea i would get when laying still on my back, even when rotational vertigo wasnt present ........And whilst sleeping you can get constant sensations of falling and turning sharp corners which can wake you up

I think VRT could help minnesotadizzy ......thats if your sleeplessness is related to a dicky vestibular, rather than the stress associated with it.