xanex

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by njspingirl, Jan 11, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

Every time I go to my doctors office ( a walk in place), I feel guilty as hell. They take my history.. YET AGAIN after going there for 5 years for different things. I rarely see the same doctors. So, they repeat everything I told them last time.
    Today I went in for my eye. The medical assistant is asking me about previous surgeries, what meds.. yadda yadda yadda.
    After telling her that I take Xanex on a daily basis, and the dose.. she repeated it..."really, how much? Daily?????
    Just for the record.. I take 0.5 mg. in the morning.. it is a script for the XR (time released). I am also allowed to take up to 3 tabs of the .25 mgs thru out the day IF NEEDED. I usually take 2 and split the pills in 1/2. I take it for the panic, dizziness, palps, anxiety.
    I am feeling really quilty right now for having to take this. But it works. I am tired of feeling like the doctors there treat me like I am some kind of drug addict. On my bad days...spin city.. it doesnt do much. Guess I needed to vent because Im so sick and tired of telling people why I take it and them not understanding Menieres.
    I talk to the doctor who perscribes it, and I worry about addiction. He basically said there probably is alittle addiction there, but not abuse. If there was abuse, he wouldnt give it to me. So why do I have to feel so quilty for having to take the med. Would it be different if I were taking Valium??
    I have a visit to the Neurotologist on the 17th to tell him whats been happening ever since my gent injections last year. Still having spins.. bad weather sets me off, bad headaches. Quick spins on days I feel pretty good . Those I can deal with. I do believe Im having Migraines. But damn, it pisses me off when I am looked down upon for taking this medication.

2. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I take zanax too (alprazolam, right?). I am allowed up to 4mg per day. I have been taking it for approx ten years now. I rarly take the full amount allowed. Yes, there is a heavy addictive quality to it. You can go though siezures at worst if you stop taking it. I am addicted to it. Though I've never had withdrawl symptoms. I take at least 1mg in any given day.

I take zanax for tinnitus and general anxiety. My doctor wanted me to stop at one time but when I explained to him that my OTO had prescribed them for the tinnitus, he hasn't said a word since. The anxiety I experience is another reason he hasn't stopped the meds - along with the fact that I've never taken more than the alloted amount.

I don't understand your embarassment but if you ever want to stop, make sure it's done slowly so you are weened off the drug gently. I guess because I take so many drugs that have helped my numerous ailments that this one is just another that helps me through the day. Don't be embarassed, you'll find a lot of people on this forum take the same drug. If it works for you - take it. F-'em :)

3. njspingirl

Thanks Holly for the response.

4. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I take .5 at night or late afternoon, but wish that I would have never started the habit.

5. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

also, on wikipedia, it says that benzos can cause tinnitus and mine got bad after I started with the Xanax. It did help the vertigo, stopped it in it's tracks.

6. njspingirl

thanks dolfan. yeah, it doesnt help the spins. Takes the edge off.. thats about all. When weather is bad.. storms rolling in.. it doesnt help it.

7. njspingirl

I took another 1/2 of a .25 around 7;30 tonite. Felt really heave headed, some spins. brain fog big time. It started raining around 8. Guess I knew that was coming!!! I am relaxed, but still feel the "heavy head" shit. Almost feels like a rotational vertigo. Usually have some pain behind the bad ear too. Not in the ear itself.. but the bone around it.

8. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

I had a visit today with a very good psychiatrist. She has a reputation of really knowing about all the drugs for depression and anxiety. I have been on.05 klonopin twice a day for over 14 years and I also took Prozac for about that long. I now take lexapro instead. She said that I need to look at these drugs as my friend, not as being addicted to them or afriad to take them. She said at the doses I am taking I can take them for the rest of my life and they will not cause me any harm. I felt a whole lot better today after seeing her. I don't like drugs, with the horrible tinnitus and stress I have on a daily basis, these drugs are necessary for me to lead some kind of a normal life. I hope all of you can find an understanding, knowledgable doctor like the one I saw today. She has also recommended that I see a therapist for cognative therapy and I have an appointment this saturday. This therapy goes hand and hand with the drugs to help cope with this disease. Carole

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Good post Trinity. Fear is a huge issue when it comes to drugs. I still sometimes fear because of the amount of drugs I take. But, as you say I need to look at them as my friend. I need to understand that without them, my life would not have the quality it does. Thanks for the reminder.
    Holly

10. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Daily use of Valium still holds unfortunate connotations or assumptions of addiction, druggy, worthless citizen, I'm afraid. (I know you're not)

Consider yourself lucky. *chuckles ... I'm a MM'er who suffers anxiety & I'm also a recovering addict of 6 years. I'm unable to take vestibular suppressants at all, whether it be Alprazolam , Diazepam, Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Dimenhydrinate or Amitriptyline. Though due to past history & honesty, I'm still considered "dodgy" while bearing vertigo without vestibular suppressants.

F@#k 'em, you're doing what you can to decrees episodes of vertigo & the emotional ramifications of anticipating these awful moments/hours.

11. njspingirl

Nathan, I dont know how you go thru the spins without meds! OH MY GOSH! So, you get no relief at all with any kind of meds? I would go NUTS.
    I wonder sometimes, if not having the xanex in my system is causing the spins . Maybe its part of withdraw? When I questioned the doctor who perscribed them for me, he said he "doesnt think" it is withdraw. So he gave me an increase in the med! I tried the increase, but it made me too tired. Felt too crappy on it. I take it one 0.5 mg. XR in the morning.. usually take 1/2 of a .25mg twice through out the day and always a .25mg before bed.
    We shall see today when I see my neuro guy. I will ask him the same as I did the doctor who perscribes it.
    YOU my friend are a real trooper for having to battle it all without meds. YIKES!!

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

NJ - Have you ever tried going without Xanax for a period of time?

13. njspingirl

Intrepid.. No I haven't. I have panic and anxiety disorder. At one point it was so bad, I developed agoraphobia and didn't leave the house for 3 years . I sometimes feel that way now.. But I don't let it rule my life. I go out and get over it. I never want to be like that again. Although, it was hard to tell which was affecting me. The menieres spins or anxiety spins. I know if I take the xanex and it doesn't help the spins much, it has to be the menieres or migraines.

14. njspingirl

Let me just throw this into the mix. When I out and driving for hours, spins set in big time. The only thing that relieves it.. I need to stay still and sit for awhile until it subsides. It just feels like a sensory overload. If it is, wouldn't that be inner ear related?

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Seriously, you would do so much better, IMO, with Dr.Downey, Luckyswife sees her, too.

16. njspingirl

I dont know if another doctor would make a difference.. Since mine is on the board of the LA House clinic.

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I wonder if Dr.Downey is on any "boards".

She is one of NJs Top Doctors though, I saw the award and the newspaper write-up in her office.

I'll ask, if I remember, lol, next time I go.

Good luck today! :)

18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

It can be, yes. There are four basic entities which assist & maintain our sense of balance. The inner ear (1), eye's (2), the proprioceptive system (3) - sense organs found within muscles & joints of the feet, neck, legs, arms. All these organs then send singles to our brain (4).

When the vestibular system is compromised, the remaining organs which assist our sense of balance compensate.

While driving a car the forces placed on the body & the information your eyes receive increase the work load of these remaining 3 organs, which are already compensating for your inner ear. So yes, an individual who has a inner ear disorder may struggle when driving a car, aboard a boat, shouting bloody murder while doing a loop de loop on a rollercoaster or performing extreme acrobatics.

However there are additional variables & factors to also consider. The psychological ramifications of inner ear disorders, particularly the anxiety experienced attempting to anticipate episodes of vertigo & our physical ability at any given time, also lead to processes & outcomes which further influence & stress the organs which maintain our balance.

For example, anxiety often influences our breathing. Shallow breathing, or at the end of the spectrum hyperventilating causes us to feel faint & dizzy. Anxiety also encourages muscle tension, tensing the muscles sending information regarding our sense of balance to the brain. It also has the ability to influence our vision. Tunnel vision, blurry vision & the amount of light your pupils allow to enter your retina - you will actually be able to see pupils dilate when someone suffers an anxiety attack. Many people who suffer anxiety attacks, who have a healthy vestibular system, often describe attacks of intense apprehension & fear much the same way someone who suffers a balance disorder describes episodes of disequilibrium or dizziness.

I'm an MM'er so I can't really speak on the behalf of those who suffer MAV, hydrops or BPPV etc, however I feel a good psychologist or counsellor & the psychological skills & tools needed to treat anxiety will only help assist those suffering from balance disorders. Not to mention depression.

Added, Xanax is a highly addictive substance. Long term daily use, or possibly dependence of Xanax will lead to depression or increase existing depression. Daily use of Alprazolam will fill your gamma-amino-butyric acid receptors quickly, leaving you with a high Xanax tolerance, subsequently decreasing the effects Xanax has & the reasons why your prescribed said drug in the first place.

Now I'm not telling you to stop taking Xanax, or anyone who suffers MM, MAV, Endolymphatic hydrops, BPPV, Labyrinthitis, Canal dehiscenceto, Labyrinthine fistulastop or what have you to stop taking prescribed benzodiazepines during the onset of a vertigo attack. Although to be able to fight the psychological ramifications of these physiological symptoms, without or possibly in conjunction with medication is a win win scenario.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I think you have big time cervicogenic vertigo. I don't know what can be done about it. If you ever find out, let me know!

20. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Don't be silly. Of COURSE you know the answer :D