1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Italian Tomato Soup Recipe

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by paisley, Aug 18, 2015.

1. paisley

paisley Guest

The recipe calls for 28 ounces of canned tomatoes, which works well, but at this time of year I use garden tomatoes. I blanch them in boiling water, then put in cold water to get the skins off, chop them up and then follow the recipe.

2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    Saute the above ingredients
    Add 28 ounces tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock. ( I make my own but store bought works)
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon marjoram
    2 teaspoon sugar
    salt pepper to taste
    Simmer for an hour
    Add 1/3 cup rice and simmer another 20 minutes.
    serve with freshly grated parmesan.
    recipe freezes well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I'm going to make this. I went to the grocery store, but forgot to make a list of what I needed for the soup. I got everything, but also got garlic and heavy cream. Must have had it mixed up with another recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the recipe.

3. paisley

paisley Guest

I may have to try it with the addition of garlic and cream. Could be a whole new delightful dish.

I am thinking serving it with grilled cheese sandwiches made with mayo instead of butter.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I'm doing it with grilled ham and cheese, but the mayo version sounds good, too. Hope to get to make it tomorrow, after I get those peach pies made. ;)

5. paisley

paisley Guest

Got your pies done, Martha? ;)
    how was the soup? Did you use the cream?

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    The soup was amazing. I wasn't prepared to like it, but it was a hit. Lucky for us, I made a double batch. Husband says he'll have more of that for supper tomorrow night. It was good without the cream, but since I had it I went ahead and put it in right at the end, just half a pint in the double batch. Yummy. When I make it again, I probably won't put it in because it just adds calories, but since I had it on hand I thought I'd use it.

The pies looked fabulous. Yes, I said fabulous. I haven't heard back yet on how they tasted.

May I take your order, please?

7. paisley

paisley Guest

Glad you liked it. It will taste even better tomorrow when the flavours have had a chance to marry. I agree about the cream and calories, but once in a while a little splurge won't hurt.

Oooh, if only you could ship a pie or two my way. I love peaches. Did you do a lattice top?

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    No, a crumble. Wanted to keep it as simple as possible. The crust I used was easy, too. No rolling. It uses flour, oil, a bit of sugar and milk. Mix it all together, form into a ball and press into and up the sides of a deep dish pie plate. Nothing easier than that.

9. paisley

paisley Guest

That sounds good Cheryl. When you are feeling better would you mind posting the crust recipe? I would love to try it.

Hope you are back to normal soon.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    No Roll Pastry

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons 2% reduced fat milk

Mix well with a fork. Immediately (so it doesn't have time to dry out) transfer to pie pan and press with fingers to spread over bottom and up sides of pan.

Topping

1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup all purpose flour

Mix all ingredients together with a pastry blender, a fork or your hands. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.

Bake one hour or until filling is bubbling and topping is browned.

I have used it for rhubarb, cherry and now the peach. I also use this crust for pumpkin pies, but leave off the topping. The crust is crisp, almost like a cookie.

11. paisley

paisley Guest

Wow that was quick. I see a pie in our future . Thanks, Cheryl!

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I just realized I probably should have started a new thread for the pie crust recipe.

If you ever try it, let me know how you like it. I hope you like it as much as I liked your soup.

13. paisley

paisley Guest

Cheryl,
    do you think your pie crust recipe would work if I poked it full of holes and blind baked it for a lemon pie?

I told my husband I wanted to try a new pie recipe so to pick his flavour. I was hoping he would say blueberry but he picked lemon meringue.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Hmmmm. I'm going to say yes. I'd try it. What do you have to lose but a little flour and oil?

15. paisley

paisley Guest

I am going to try it tomorrow. What's the worst that can happen?

16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    [​IMG]

17. paisley

paisley Guest

Oh jesus , Nathan, that's hilarious.
    while baking is not my forte, I don't think I'm that bad!

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    OMG. Just had my first laugh out loud moment of the day.

paisley, you'd better get everyone out of the house before you put that crust in the oven, just in case.

19. paisley

paisley Guest

I made the lemon pie and the crust was quite good. I blind baked it and it shrunk a little bit but I disguised that with a mile high meringue! I made the filling from scratch with fresh lemons.....really tasty.

House still intact!

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    The pie sounds dreamy. I love lemon meringue pie. Cheesecake Factory has a lemon meringue cheesecake that I keep thinking I"m going to try. I think it's about $10 a slice, but looks oh so worth it.