1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

I am starting Valtrex tonight

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by RedBird11, Nov 28, 2018.

1. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    The nurse at my otoneurologist's office just emailed me and said the doctor agreed to let me try antivirals because it helps some. He doesn't seem confident it will help me but at least he agreed to let me try! She said they are calling in a one month prescription for Valtrex to see if it helps or not. I know one month is not long enough to tell if its helping or not so I guess I will just have to tell them that it is helping so they will renew it... :rolleyes:

I tried Acyclovir for a month back in 2013. But then I got pregnant with my son and had to stop before I had a chance to know if it was going to help me or not. I never convinced my doctor at the time to let me try it again after my son was born.

An interesting note about my history is that I had left sided Bell's Palsy 2 times before the Meniere's symptoms started. Bell's Palsy is thought to be cause by the Herpes virus. My left ear is my bad ear... seems connected, does it not?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. jkc

jkc Member

May 12, 2014
    Just so you know Dr. Gaceks protocol states to take 3 grams a day spread out evenly thru the day for at least 3 weeks . Then 2 grams a day for 3 weeks then 1 gram if relief is found. You may get worse before you get better. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yay! Let us know how it works out for you, even though it is rather short term as it sometimes takes longer to work its magic (if it does).

Pretty fascinating note about Bell's Palsy potentially being attributed to herpes virus. Gives hope that your anti-virals may just help you...

Fingers crossed,
    Ray

P.S. There is always monolaurin if you're unable to get a prescription later: Monolaurin Update - Vertigo Free For Almost A Year

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good luck! A month may well be enough to let you know if it is helping. Look for an improving trend, not perfect remission. You might want to keep a journal to help you and your doctor see the trend of symptoms. Hope it works for you!

5. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017

6. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I have taken 3 Famvir per day for over a year.

It will take longer than a month to know if it helps. I would not work with a doctor who won’t give you what you need. I would find a new doctor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Recent research suggests it might be a combination of virus and bacteria, with the bacteria damaging the ear structures, allowing the viruses to invade.

Are you taking the amino acid L-Lysine?

8. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    You can just go to any general med doctor and tell them you have been taking Valtrex/ Valacyclovir for a long time and it helps you a great deal (whether it does or not). If they ask, just say its cheaper to go to GP than your ear doctor, tell them exactly what you want. Tell them you want 2 refills as well. Be the boss of your own healthcare, if the MD wants his money he needs to do what you need.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    I have done this many times, never had a problem getting what I ask for, they might hem and haw a bit, you stick to your guns and they write it up, write it on a sheet of paper and put your pharmacy name and phone number on there too. You're not asking for recreational drug like xanax or valium, this is just antiviral, its no biggy to an MD.

10. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Redbird, my dad had 2 bouts of Bell's Paulsy like you. And here I am with MD. But who knows. I guess like, practically everyone has some form of herpes, so...

11. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    Well, its day 6 of the medication and I feel AWFUL. Lets hope its the worse before better ringing true. Sigh.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hang in there. My hearing distortion got worse but it a new and different way when i first took antivirals. I had outstanding success with them in the end.

13. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    We all have numerous herpes viruses in our bodies but not on cranial nerves, fwiw.

14. solari

Admin Post
    It makes sense -- there's a battle going on in your body now with the antivirals. Generally it gets better after a couple weeks.

Ray

15. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone. Yesterday I actually felt pretty good! Less fullness and pressure. Today the pressure and fullness has crept back. But it has been raining/sleeting/snowing all morning. I'm thinking that might play a part in it. But yesterday gave me some hope!

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  16. solari

Admin Post
    Ayup, weather plays a large role... And the journey is never linear -- you have steps back and forward. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Ray

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JulieZ

JulieZ New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Hi RedBird11, I'm following your posts with interest. I'm on day 10 with acyclovir (also taking some l-lysine). So far I can't tell if it's doing much, but I know it's too early to expect to see results. I hope it works for both of us!

18. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks Julie! I really hope it works for you! I am feeling pretty bad today but its only day 12. I am trying to stay optimistic, but as an impatient person its pretty tough lol.

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I just started Valtrex too! After reading here, and seeing some intriguing studies I’m convinced to try it. I had some leftover valtrex from my cold sore stash. I’ll do the Gacek dosing. I’m off to my family doc today to convince her. (** if you get a “no” , consider go to a walk in clinic and lie - tell them I need a long term refill for your fake genital herpes! Ha! **)

I’ve also ordered the first few ingredients of the JOH.

I’ve had MM since 2008. It got stable for a few years but this year has been hellish again so I’m trying everything I can find... I’m glad I’m having some good enough days that I can tolerate some computer time and research.

20. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I hope it works for you Anne! I'm glad there are others just starting out on the antiviral route with me. We can check in with each other and see how its going. Best of luck to you both!