1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What's on your mind?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    .. I wouldn't mind if they wrapped my head up like a damn mummy for that MRI as long as my whole body didn't have to lay in that tube for an hour..i get claustrophobic just thinking about it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Glenn, everyone is claustrophobic, it's part of our nature. I also get a muscle knot (also known as a hot spot or trigger point) in my upper back when I lay on my back too long. I got one in the tube and it was agony. As for the claustro, what I do is never open my eyes. Before I even enter, I close my eyes, and don't open them till I'm out. This gives you the feeling of simply being in unlimited dark space.

Plus, you know, you just have to relax the mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi Glenn,
    Here are a couple things that helped me through MRI's, dental procedures and those nasty vestibular tests.

A meditation called the body scan is very relaxing. I'm sure you can find how to do it online (www.fragrantheart.com is a free meditation website). I learned it from a book "Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat-Zinn.

Another trick was taught me by the technician who was doing my vestib test - going alphabetically, name female names A-Z. Then male names. A great distraction.

Also, if you've never had an MRI before, be prepared that the noises are strange and seem to change randomly! It's all ok. I try to imagine healing magnetic forces doing great things for my crazy body.

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Seasons in the sun

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    On my mind... shall I brave the wind and snow for a walk, or go to my meditation meeting, or stay in my pajamas and putter... tough Sunday decisions :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Never heard "putter" used that way. Funny. What's a meditation meeting?

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    A 12 step meeting with focus on step 11 (prayer and meditation). We chat and share, talk about spiritual stuff while dropping F-bombs (I feel so st home haha!)and then do 20 minutes silent meditation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    If there are 12 step meetings where you go through all your steps in one or two meetings, I'd do it. But I don't have the patience for drawing it out for months and months or years. Wonder if there's like a 12 Step Speed Course.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    The early founding fathers zipped through those steps pretty fast. But then it’s something that you keep revisiting and it gets deeper. If you can find a copy of The big book aka Alcoholics Anonymous the first 164 pages lays it out. Even if you don’t have addiction issues, there’s incredible wisdom in there for dealing with life and people. So the powerlessness in step 1 - can be people, places and things that we have no control over.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Getting QCI’s done

11. Thinking about going to the shooting range tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Ooooh I wish I had a shooting range nearby. Did you go? Did you have fun?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I did and I did

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wishing I could turn back time

Missing my loved ones

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    It's strange to discover that I have been, by default, visually represented by a gender pictogram.

From a certain, dare I say vantage point, said pictogram could be considered a visual euphemism for the dreaded dick pic.

Yet here I am, prescribed & represented, by default, a dick pic, via technological advancements that exposed our objection to as much in the very first place.

Irony.

Wonderful.

16. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Nathan, with the alternative being a "no dick pic", I'd stick
    with what I've got.

Never changed the avatar after joining, so apparently I'm not sure
    what I am..:D

17. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    When I'm making excuses for not going to the gym or hiking or doing ANYTHING hard that'll be good for brain-fog, lethargy and depression, I throw this song on and it motivates. "Watch Me Jumpstart", from Guided By Voices. It's a hard-driving little number. Sounds like early Beatles with its revved-up chorus. Like the grinding, primitive guitar riffing. (I've prolly posted this song before, sorry can't recall).

Watch me jumpstart as the old skin is peeled
    See an opening and bust into the field
    Hidden longings no longer concealed
    Watch me bulldoze every bulldozer away (so stupid! hah!)
    Each new obstacle from each old new day
    Where it's going it's hard for me to say

• Like Like x 1
  18. My little patches has cancer. I think no surgery and we will ride it out.

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    :( sorry for your Patches

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Rough you have to go through that Bitter. Poor Patches.

• Like Like x 1