1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Interesting as the first thing my ENT here in Greece prescribed when I had first attack was a B6+ B1+ B12 combo called Neurobion. It has 200mg Pyridoxine HCl (B6) and I was told to take two a day but will decrease it after reading the toxicity effects include difficulty walking! I see that B5 is sold as Pantothenic Acid by many vitamin companies if you cannot find it.
    Don't put off till tomorrow what you could do today because if you do it today and you like it you can do it again tomorrow.
    – Benny Hill

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WacoutaMan

WacoutaMan New Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Red Wing, MN
    Hello all - wanted to report back after a week of now having both B5 and B6. I can say life is really back to normal for me. Yes there is still tinnitus but it is diminishing. The spinning and all the fun associated garbage with that is gone. Here in the US I found 100mg B6 tablets and 250mg B5 tablets which I cut in half. As BH recommended I do the very low sodium breakfast and 1 cup of good coffee, 1 cup of decaf - about a third of what I normally have had for years. I'm still limiting my total daily sodium to under 2000mg. Usually much lower.

For me the results have been superb. I sincerely hope others have the same result. Now to concentrate on the cause. I've done the first battery of tests (blood) and ordered mold testing. My Env. Doc is brining in a new urine test in a couple weeks that I will also do. If there are any unwanted substances we can start attacking those.

Thanks again and hoping to see more posts with success!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Can't wait to go out and buy b6 & b5 tomorrow but when I look it up I found B6 at the nearby vitamin store but for b5 it says "pantothenic acid". Is this correct. I have been suffering for over a month with the dizziness, fullness and ringing. I am praying this will work.

4. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    My apologies. I think faster than I can type.
    The doseage is 125mg of B5 which I can get in 500mg tabs and break into 4 x 125mg.
    100mg of B6 which I can get in 200mg tabs and break in half to give 2 x 100mg.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    B5 is also known as Pantothenic acid as well as Calcium Pantothenate. It's all the same vitamin. Try them for a week to 10 days and the dizziness should either be gone or greatly reduced. Let us know if they work for you.

But please everyone, please note; you will be taking them for life or the Menieres Attacks will resume. The vitamins hold Menieres at bay. You will also find them cheaper than other prescribed medications.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    The 125mg is the B5. My original post on 16 February gives the correct doseage. B6 dose is 100mg. A later post had them transposed because of a typo while writing too fast!

7. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    I am so happy for you and that the vitamins are working for you as they do for me. You will take them for life.
    I found that salt is the main culprit. High salt is not good for us anyway. Chocolate is another trigger, although once on the vitamins I found that chocolate does not cause Menieres attacks for me. And I love my chocolate!
    The low salt breakfast allows me to eat out where I do not have control of how much salt is in my food.
    As I said in my original post, the dizziness goes within a week to 10 days and the Tinnitus will diminish over a month. After that there will be times when during very quiet times you will notice its still there. After nine years I just don't notice it any more.

8. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Some more information about Menieres.

The inner ear has hairs with small crystals on them that hang down and provide the balance mechanism. During a Menieres attack fluid floods the inner ear (usually only one) and intereferes with the balance hairs. This causes the spinning sensation. For some reason, the B5/B6 vitamins prevent the flooding and hence the Menieres attack.

Salt in the body causes water retention, so reducing the salt intake also helps stop the flooding, although it does not do it alone. A common treatment during an attack is to prescribe diuretic which is also known as a water tablet in an attempt to reduce water levels in the inner ear.

Every Menieres attack damages the inner ear and the sufferer gradually loses their hearing and balance. Stop the attacks and stop the damage.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019

10. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Thanks so much. Has it helped you with the fullness and ringing? I was diagnosed in 2008 with menieres in my right ear. I have a loss of hearing and constant ringing in that ear. And days before when the weather changes the fullness begins. 3 years ago it developed in my left ear. That one still seems to come and go. For the past 3 weeks it's been coming and going. And this past weekend is when it all set in. I could barely hear and the depression started in. On Sunday after sleeping all day Saturday I started to feel better. Today I can hear from my left ear again but right ear is still bad. I am going out during my lunch hour to get vitamins 5 &6. I will keep you posted. I am also strictly following a low sodium diet. Let you know how I do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hi Benny, I can only find 250mg size of B6 in my town. based on your knowledge and experience, will there be any effect if i take 125mg of B5 and 125mg of B6?

thanks

12. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    The recommended Maximum Adult B6 dose is 100mg and is the doseage I have taken for nearly 9 years without ill effects. There have been about three occasions when too much salt caused a period of slight dizziness early afternoon. It was a time when I could not get a low salt ceareal breakfast. I took a second dose of B5/B6 and the dizziness passed within 30 minutes. That's 200mg B6 and 250mg B5 over about 5 hours.

My recommendation is to break the 250mg B6 into 2 1/2 pieces to give you two 100mg and one 50mg pieces. Two tablets will last five days. Approximate is OK as you will average the 100mg per day over 5 days. It's what happens when I break my 500mg B5 into four 125mg pieces and I probably don't get exactly 125mg each piece each time, but I do average 125mg per day over the 4 days the 500mg tablet lasts.

13. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    I have been free of the fullness and ringing for nearly 9 years ( since May 2010). Menieres is caused by flooding of the inner ear and puts pressure on the ear drum. Hence the full feeling and muffled hearing. The B5/B6 vitamins stops the flooding and your hearing problems should cease within a week. Because I was a sufferer for 7 years before finding out about the B5/B6, I wear hearing aids, with my Menieres ear the worst one. The ringing (called Tinitus) will gradually dismiss and be virtually unnoticeable after a month on the vitamins. Don't be depressed- the cure is here and a normal life is the future.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thank you

15. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019

16. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Hi I'm not sure where you are located but here in New York you can get 100 mg at The Vitamin Shoppe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019

18. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Thank you so much I was able to get B6 at Vitamin shoppe. B5 I had to order online, it's coming in today. I am going to take it as soon as I get it even if I start today on the afternoon. The craziness with this disease. It's my right ear that started and is damaged. Three yrs ago my left. Yesterday I was fine with my left. Today I woke up and Can barely hear. It's all muffled. I did go to the Chiropractor yesterday wondering if adjustments had something to do with it.

19. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    What makes me a little leery about this is the high level dosage of B6. While in most cases 100mg should be safe, there are people who have developed toxicity and neuropathy from lower levels than this. My body tends to be sensitive to certain things (e.g. it doesn't take much to send my cholesterol levels through the roof) so I obviously have concerns about trying this. I'm wondering if a lower dose such as 25mg would be effective.

Interestingly enough though, at one point I was taking a B Complex supplement that did include both B5 and B6 at these high levels. For the life of me, I don't recall if I was taking it before or after I had been diagnosed with Meniere's. I do know though that I did not take it for an extended period of time (probably only 6 to 8 months) and I think it unlikely that my symptoms worsened when I stopped taking it.

If taking B6 does prove to help a lot of people, where does that leave the whole "Meniere's is caused by a virus" theory? Does it mean that the viral theory is incorrect or does B6 just relieve the symptoms caused by the virus? I'm guessing there's no way to prove one way or the other.

20. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Any reason I can't just use a B complex multi vitamin that includes a sufficient dose of B6 and B5?