1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Wouldn't 100mg be safe? That's what you see in lots of B complexes on the shelf...

2. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Article on toxicity is most helpful thank you, as it states 'To prevent this toxicity from occurring, it is recommended that adults ingest no more than 0.007 ounces (200 milligrams) of the vitamin daily.' So the Benny Hill Regime is well within recommended levels.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’ve got a multiB that I was taking one per day. The bottle recommends 3 tabs per day which gives 300 mg of B5 and 100 of B6. (Advanced B Complex by AOR, a Calgary company). I’ll try the higher dose while I’m waiting for gentamicin or surgery.

Re: vitamins vs viral... my understanding is that Menieres May be caused by different things. Kind of like liver disease - the symptom complex is similar whether your liver was harmed by booze or hepatitis etc. It sounds like the top culprits in Menieres are genetics, viruses, allergy, autoimmune, and maybe physical damage (maybe neck issues, dental stuff). Unfortunately we don’t know which is our particular cause(s). So the people who do great on antivirals were maybe a pure viral cause. Etc.

The B vitamin idea is intriguing. I see that it was mentioned at a conference. Are there any published studies? I haven’t been able to find any yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    I only know this. Up until 2010, I had Stage II Menieres with full blown spinning head, nausea, vertigo, tinnitus and unable to stand. It did not matter matter whether I was sitting or standing. Hospitalised twice and given direct injections of Stemital. Then I was told about 125mg of B5 and 100mg of B6 by a close and trusted friend.

May 2019 will mark NINE years of no spinning head, nausea, vertigo, tinnitus and unable to stand. That is what I know and the half dozen or so people I have personally told about B5/B6 have also found they work.

Australian Multi B vitamins do not have enough of B5/B6 to work. Try taking the B5/B6 vitamins or not, that is up to you. But by God, I would do anything than go back to suffering as I used to.

Try 25mg B6 with 125mg B5 if you are worried and gradually increase it until the dizziness stops. Or try 50mg twice a day. Remember, the B5 increases the effectiveness of B6 without the need to have more than 100mg. But I take 100mg B6 every morning and have done religiously for NINE years with no side affects. I have no desire to reduce the amount I take because it works.

Read Post #21 - they were prescribed 200mg B6 twice a day. That's 400mg which I understand is close to the dangerous level. I do not recommend more than 100mg once a day.

Menieres is not caused by a virus. The inner ear has the highest concentration of B6 in the body and regulates the fluid in the ears. It appears that as you age you don't have enough B6. The reason you need 100mg of B6 is that it is water soluble and you gradually lose it every time you urinate. It does not build up in the body. In fact if you take the dose at night you lose it all in your morning visit to the bathroom and so it's less effective. Take them at breakfast.

I still have Menieres But no attacks means no further damage to my hearing or balance.

If you try B5/B6 let us all know whether it works for you. Read Post #22 above for someone who tried it for a week and found they stopped Menieres and returned their life back to normal.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  5. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Here is an image of the inner ear that was shown at the Menieres Forum held in Coffs Harbour Sat 7 March 2009 about 4 hours drive north of where I live. I had just been diagnosed with Menieres so I went to find all about my disease. IMG_7939.JPG
    Note how the flooding in the right hand image affects the hearing and balance.

I learnt that Menieres is incurable but not fatal. Apparently the B5/B6 combination stop the flooding, because I no longer experience it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Lots of US B complexes have 100mg of B6 and 100mg of B5 (pantothenic acid). I wonder if just one of those B complexes would do it?

7. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019

8. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Hi, I started the b5 100 and b6 100 about 4 days and have already started to feel better. My other question is your diet. I grew up in an Italian household so without saying theres alot of salt and I cook just as my mom, meatballs on Sunday, broccoli rabe and sausage , fried chicken cutlets etc. What kind of diet do you follow and how strict are you? Since I started the low sodium I have lost 5lbs.

9. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    I just want to say one more thing, benny hill your posts have given me hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JeffreyVik

JeffreyVik Member

Jun 23, 2016
    I’m at day 6 of the b5/b6 regiment. I have definitely seen improvement with my balance, I’m not perfect yet and sometimes I feel the weakness I get when my body is fighting off dizziness and vertigo and my head will feel heavy but it never gets to that point. I had attacks 3 days in a row up to before I started these pills. I still have a lot of tinnitus, I am bilateral, and some fullness at times...my tinnitus goes in and out with my heartbeat due to so much inflammation in there, but I have faith in that Benny said a month it takes to be mostly rid of tinnitus, and 7-10 days for balance to normalize. Feeling hopeful.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  11. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    You ask about salt. I have experimented with salt levels over the 9 years. When my salt levels were too high WHILE on B5/B6, I experienced a mild Menieres attack in the afternoon - dizziness enough to need to sit down, full ears but no nausea and vomiting. I then took another dose of B5/B6 and the attack stopped after about 30 minutes. This is not the same as two doses at once, as I have already begun to discharge the morning's vitamins with urinating during the day.

So the vitamins will stop a full blown attack and minor ones IF you keep your salt levels low.

This is what I have for breakfast. A whole wheat cereal of 21mg/100gm of Sodium. Tastes pretty bland, so I top the bowl with a honey coated puffed wheat cereal of 5mg/100gm of Sodium. That's a pretty low salt intake of 26mg/100mg. I don't know how salt content is declared in USA, but convert Metric to your system or find the lowest salt level you can. In Australia all processed food has to have a nutritional statement stating the vitamins and minerals (including sodium) in part/100gm as well per average serve. Since the average serve can vary I always use the part/100gm.

A low salt level in the morning allows me to take grandsons to MacDonalds for a treat and eat their very salty food, including fries. I used to ask for salt free ones, but now don't bother. Sometimes my salt level gets too low; and I know because I will crave salt. So I eat a small single serve (20gm) packet of salted crisps and the craving passes in minutes. Finally do not add any salt to your cooking or your plate of food. You usually get enough salt from processed food (bread, canned food and eating out).

For those of you who are feeling the difference already; keep going as it will get better. Takes about a month for the Tinitus to diminish to where you don't notice it anymore. Mark a calendar with the date of your last attack, and when you should expect the next one. Then sit back; take the B5/B6; wait; and be amazed.

12. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Your salt level is too high. The B5/B6 is fighting the sodium - a known trigger of Menieres. Read my today's post about salt levels.

13. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Sorry, but your diet needs to change, which is a shame because I am tempted to come around for dinner!
    See my today's post on salt. I would cut out all that salty food and after a few weeks of normality, try adding a little of that great Italian into your diet food and note any affects. Try cooking it with no salt or less added salt. How strict am I. No added salt in cooking or to plate of food. Very low salt breakfast, then without going crazy, can usually eat what I like for dinner. Lunch is usually sandwiches with low salt fillings.

14. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    The amounts are about the same, so go with the US B complexes. They are a lot higher than in Australia where the B complex amounts are around 25mg, which is not enough. The B6 amount is important and is the same as I take. The B5 enhances the effect of the B6 without the need to take a higher dose. I only take 125mg of B5 because that is the size available in Oz.

15. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Let me add one more thing.
    I am not selling anything. You find your own source of B5/B6. All my information I freely give. It was given to me the same way, so you are free to try it or not. Having said that, I am feeling quite emotional that so many of you have taken my story to heart and are already feeling the change from trying the vitamins. Just watch your salt levels.

For those who are hesitant. It's two vitamins in very safe doses. What have you to lose? Nothing but your Menieres attacks and that illness that goes with them.

My goal was to try to convince at least one person to try two simple vitamins and have the normal life that I live - free from Menieres. Not cured, but free. One would be wonderful, but then I read of all you others who are trying them. Please continue and give updates on how it is going. I will continue to monitor your progress reports and try to answer any of your questions.

My next post may discuss what Menieres is doing to you and your ultimate fate if the attacks don't stop. It's not pretty.

16. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    If anyone buys their B vitamins online could you please send the link?

17. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Day 5 of the Pantothenic Acid (B5) and B6 combo and I woke up this morning to complete silence...a bit scary until I realised my tinnitus had switched off! So bizarre without the constant chirpie-chirpie cheep cheeps I am so used to hearing. The tinnitus came back a little throughout this morning, notably after breakfast which was moderately low salt, however the sounds are very muted and only occasional.

18. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hi Benny, I'm currently waiting for my vitamins to arrive.

after taking those vitamins for almost 9 years, is there any improvement to your hearing ?

thx

19. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    "My next post may discuss what Menieres is doing to you and your ultimate fate if the attacks don't stop. It's not pretty." - Benny Hill

Benny - Thanks for the B vitamin idea...I started last week. We shall see. I always am down for something new.

I am very interested to hear your take on what happens to someone who can't stop the attacks.

As someone who is considered "late stage MM" with profound hearing loss - I will let you know how accurate your take is.

Thanks again!

20. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Benny been on the regiment for 7 days and I’m still having attacks some thing doesn’t seem to be working, I’ve been taking the 100mg of b6 but the company sent 500mg capulets that i can’t break down so I’ve just been taking the whole thing. Could that be affecting the potency of the b6?