1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    No. None at all. The damage Menieres does is permanent and B5/B6 only stops further damage. I wear hearing aids. However, annual hearing tests show normal change with age only. I am in my 70's after all.

2. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    I assume you are taking 500mg of B5 and 100mg of B6. You are the first person in 9 years that has not been helped by the dose that I take: 100mg B6 and 125mg of B5.

So, there could be problem with too much B5. I do not know what the B5 does, but assume that it enhances the B6.
    Find a supplier who can get you 125mg, 250mg or even 500mg B5 in tablet form and use the 125mg B5 dose that I take and that others on this page take and are getting results. Mine come in 500mg elongated tablet form (not round) and is easy to break into 4 pieces to give me 125mg.

3. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    That's great news. Be patient as it can take up to a month for the Tinitus to diminish completely so you don't notice it any more. In your case it looks like it won't take tha long.

4. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Here is my post on what Menieres is doing to you. In Australia I am fortunate to be able to attend meetings of the Menieres Forum where sufferers are educated on their Menieres.

First: it's incurable but not fatal
    Second: the cause of the flooding of the inner ears is not known.
    Third: every attack damages your hearing and balance organ. The damage is gradual but permanent. Look at the right picture of a Menieres ear in my Post 46 to see the flooding. I have lost a lot of my high frequencies in my hearing, so everything sounds basey and faint.
    Fifth: Serc and Moduretic ( a diuretic) are used to treat the flooding. Stemital deals with the nausea.
    Sixth: there is a range of experimental treatments being used in Australia. Some include grommets and drilling into the inner ear and injecting antibiotics.

Eventually Menieres destroys the hearing and the balance in the affected ear. At that point you no longer have Tinitus, dizziness, nausea or any other symptoms of a full blown attack. The flooding still occurs but you are no longer affected by it. The ear has been destroyed and you are deaf in that ear. This is what happened to my mother-in-law before I found out that I had Menieres and about B5/B6.

At the Forum, I also found that in a small percentage of sufferers, Menieres also attacks the other ear. If it runs it course, they will become profoundly deaf and lose all sense of balance. As was said at the Forum, they will walk like a penguin, using their eyes for balance. At least they are suitable for a cochlear implant.

As those who trying the vitamins are finding, taking B5/B6 stop further attacks, and thus further damage. They will not undo the damage you already have. You will take them for life and life will return to normal. Stop taking them and the attacks will return.

Until a cure is eventually found for Menieres, I will take my B5/B6 to stop further damage and live a normal life.

5. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    Thank you so much for giving out all this information. You are being so helpful and encouraging. I am going to try this and will report back to you. But I just wanted to say thank you and thank you for the hope you are giving to so many of us. :) Emily

6. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    This definitely sounds like its a worth a try for me. I went to the vitamin shoppe and the only B5 they have is 500mg and its a capsule with powder so I can't cut it. I ended up reading some of the B complexes and went with a B-100 by Natures way that has 50mg of B6 and 100mg of B5. Its a little low but I'm going to give it a try to make sure it goes in my system well. Nothing to lose. Thanks for adding another option to the equation. I'm still taking the JOH and hopefully these mix well. Last month I stopped my anti viral since the doctors stopped my prescription and I haven't had any changes so I guess they weren't doing much for me.

7. JeffreyVik

JeffreyVik Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Here’s an update. Today was day ten. I’m not 100% balance wise back to normal yet but I’m still a hell of a lot better than I was before starting. Today I felt like I was about to have a vertigo attack, I got that disorientation feeling I get right before they hit but nothing came! Still feel a tad shaky at times and I have that pressure I get in my head from all the inflammation but I’m getting to bed early tonight and I think I will get to the point where my balance is fully restored soon. Then the tinnitus!

8. Leslie F.

Leslie F. New Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Prosperity, PA
    I had gradually worsening symptoms of Meniere's starting in 2012, with it getting very bad in 2016 and 2017, with horrible vertigo at least every other day. Then I started the John of Ohio regimen, and over the course of several months, my attacks became less frequent and finally stopped. My hearing returned and the tinnitus almost completely went away. I lived a normal life for a year and a half. Then a few weeks ago, I woke up one morning with loud ringing in my left ear and it felt very plugged/full. I thought it was just fluid in my ear or a sinus infection-type thing. It didn't even cross my mind that it was Meniere's-related until two weeks later when I had a mild vertigo attack. I was so shocked and horrified to think that the vertigo was back and the suffering was beginning again. I had had such extraordinary results on the JOH regimen.

When I visited this site, I read about the B6/B5 recommendation and began that day to take the dosages recommended by Bennyhill. Within two days, I began to see improvement. The feeling of vertigo being imminent went away, and I felt less off-balance. Another day or two went by and I wasn't feeling any balance issues. It's been two weeks since I started on B6/B5, and I still have loud tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear, but balance is fine.

I should add that I saw the physician's assistant to my otologist two weeks ago, right after the recurrence of my symptoms, and he put me on Triamterene. So I started it at the same time as the B6/B5. I wish now that I hadn't taken it, so it would be more of a test of the B6/B5 treatment alone. I'm tempted to stop the diuretic and just go with the vitamins.

I'm also still taking my John of Ohio supplements.

9. Tess72764

Tess72764 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Arkansas USA
    I have suffered with Meniere’s since August, 2008. Some years were not too bad others have been horrible. Since January 4, 2019 I have had 9 episodes. Mine lasts from 2-4 hours and then a full day to recover. Some days my tinnitus is almost unbearable. Today I ordered B6 and B5, they should arrive Wednesday and I will begin the regimen on Thursday. I’m excited and very hopeful that this will provide some relief. I am a little worried about the 100mg per day of B6 as that is the top range for safe dosage. I believe someone earlier was going to start with a lower dosage, if you read this please let me know if it worked.
    A special thanks to Bennyhill for all the information!

10. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Check post 41 where there is a link to B6 doses That link says that 500mg is the dangerous amount likely to cause damage. It also says that 200mg is the recommended maximum dose. I take only half the recommended dose at 100mg and have every day for 9 years with no ill effect. I don't know affect what other medications have with the B5/B6 as I only take an Allopurinol tablet every second day because of kidney stones. No other medication.

11. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    I have said that I took my B4/B6 every day for 9 years. Having said that, I just remembered that is not true.

Four years ago, I had a mild heart attack which led to open heart surgery to repair a damaged aorta (from a seat belt compressing it in an earlier car accident). Even though I had Private Health Insurance, the ambulance took me to a public hospital who only allowed in prescription medicine and so took away my vitamins. Then as standard practice they put me on a saline drip and thus poured salt into my veins.

After two days the dizziness began, probably because ny salt level was rising. It took another day for them to see something was wrong with me and finally returned my vitamins after much pleading. I immediately took 100mg B6 and 125mg B5 that afternoon and had the saline drip removed preferring to take water by mouth. The dizziness faded within an hour and the attack did not develop into a full blown one. I resumed my normal doseage in the morning.

After a stent was installed to clear the blocked artery that caused the heart attack, my cardiologist later repaired the aorta in a Private Hospital. They didn't care what vitamins you took.

Keep persisting with the vitamins. 7-10 days for the dizziness to go and a month for the Tinitus to pass is my experience. Others may be shorter or longer - but you will improve as many of you are now experiencing.

And get your salt down. You need BOTH low salt and the vitamins.

12. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Take a double dose. The following website: (under Are There Any Risks.....)

Vitamin B5 | Pantothenic Acid | Andrew Weil, M.D.

states:
    The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine has not established a tolerable upper level of intake (UL). The only known adverse effect is diarrhea as a result of very high intakes – between 10 and 20 grams – of calcium D-pantothenate, a common supplement. Gastrointestinal side effects, such as heartburn and nausea, have also been noted with pantothenic acid doses up to 1,200 mg.

So taking 200mg of B5 won't hurt you. It's one sixth of 1,200mg. The important thing is the 100mg of B6. A lower dose of 50mb, may work. I don't know, as I have only ever taken 100mg. Having said that at least 50mg has to be better than none.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    This is good info for the B-100 Complex I have. One pill has 50mg of B6 and 100mg of B5. If i take two I should be good to go. Thanks

14. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Rhona - B5 is 500 mg in the USA too - why do your break them up? is 500mg too much? what is the down side?

15. Mae2008

Mae2008 New Member

Feb 24, 2019
    I found B5 100 mg. on Amazon.

16. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    B5 and B6.JPG I can offer no advise on taking 500mg B5. The dose I have always taken is 125mg. So don't get the 500mg capsule form - get the tablet form. I used to get 250mg B5 tablets from the same supplier as my 200mg B6, but they no longer make B5. I now get 500mg B5 from another supplier. From the attached photo, the 200mg B6 tablet is on the left and shows the 2 x 100mg portions that I take one of each morning.

On the right is the larger 500mg B5 and the tablet broken into 4 x 125mg portions. They break easily with my fingers. Although each is not exactly the same size, I just take the portions one at a time each morning; consuming the whole lot over four days before breaking another one. Break in half and then half again. I use small pill boxes to store them.
    I also purchase my B5/B6 over the Internet and they are delivered by mail.

Another point, I pay $AU16.95 ($US11.89) for a bottle of 60 B5 tablets. At 4 doses per tablet, gives 240 days or around 8 months of treatment. Not expensive at all. Likewise, my B6 comes in 60 tablet bottles, and I purchase 2 of those for every one of B5 to give 8 months freedom from Menieres..

17. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Benny...this is really interesting. Sounds well worth a try.

18. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    I'm in...

Order placed just now on Amazon for 100 MG B6, and 250 MG B5 tablets.
    They should arrive Monday afternoon and I will start them Tuesday morning.

I have also the Triamterene and the JOH in my daily routine. Quite a lot of pills to swallow and assimilate every day...

Short history - First MM attack in late 2007. Struggled on and off for the next 8 years with symptoms coming and going but for the most part lingering.... Started the JOH and this seemed to work for me - I could do my work and play my guitars so I was happy despite the raging tinnitus and frequent vestibular disruptions.

Then went bi-lateral in Oct. 2015 - causing a full 3 months of absolute chaos - after which the symptoms disappeared completely - except the tinnitus. I had no spinning, and I functioned better than I was used to up until mid-July, 2018 when it came back again - all symptoms. Took the intratympanic Dex shot in August and recovered full hearing in the left ear. Felt almost cured until late December, when symptoms slowly started increasing up until Feb. 19th when I suffered another full on attack, followed by 3 other medium-to-severe episodes over the last two weeks ….

Just finished another 10-day course of oral prednisone, which has not made a bit of difference, and considering a 2nd intratympanic shot for next week.

Been missing work - been driving my work mates, my bandmates, my wife, and my employees crazy - can't hear, having trouble doing even the simplest tasks, and knocking stuff off the shelf, dropping things, banging into corners etc. etc. for 3 weeks now....

SO - I read up a bit on some of the effects and interactions, and I can see no possible downside for me at this point -

I will post results either way -

Thank you BennyHill for sharing this - I skipped over it a few times before I read it through. I am happy that I did...!

Best regards to all,
    and Fight On...!

JMC

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Some comments on your post.

Break the B5 tablets in half to give two 125mg doses.

Menieres does come and go, but as time goes on it will come and go in quicker intervals. It gives the impression that whatever medications you are taking are working.

If your meds are not working then stop taking them.

Take the 100mg B6 and 125mg B5 at breakfast every day and reduce your salt as low as possible - no high salt foods and no added salt to cooking or your plate. Read my posts on salt levels. You will feel the difference in 7-10 days. First to go will be the lingering symptoms. After about a month your Tinitus will be unnoticeable. During the first week only take the vitamins. After that you will realise you need nothing but B5/B6.

Looking forward to your post on how you get on.

20. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Something seems to have my tinnitus slowly declining. Could be b5/b6. I’ve also added vinpocetine twice daily as part of JOH.