1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hough Ear Institute

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mac, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Just thought I would pass along some research I've done. As many of you know I am always trying to post the latest breakthroughs in hearing restoration and MM research.

Last year I came across research from the Hough Institute out of Oklahoma City. They had some breakthroughs in hair cell regeneration.

OKC’s Hough Ear Institute discovers promising process to regrow hair cells critical to reversing hearing loss

They just completed Phase 1 of a drug they hope will help soldiers coming back from was with hearing/vestibular issues. They were granted 2 million dollars from the Dept. of Defense for their research. They were the lone recipient of that grant out of 75 entries.

Long story short...I spoke to them today. In doing the Phase 1 trial they realized this drug may actually help MM patients as well. They found that this drug has the "potential" to heal nerve endings thus helping with chronic vestibular problems with long term MM sufferers (music to my one ear).

Here's the catch - they need money. They are privately funded and need 300k to complete both of the Phase 2 studies.

I have ZERO affiliation with them. I have been on this site for along time and this is not the first company I've posted about. So I would ask you to take a look and if you have some money on the side - I would throw them a few bucks. As we all know - there are not too many research companies looking into MM. I think it is up to us to take care of the ones who are.

You can donate on the homepage on the top right.

Hough Ear Institute

2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    “Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

We have a research team at Hough Institute that is looking into a potential cure for MM. I post this and I hear crickets...lol

Common folks... I just googled clinical trials for Multiple Sclerosis available in NJ - there are over 30!! MS has the same population diagnosis rate as MM.

Almost no one is looking into MM...and we finally get one we show them no love.

I will share the link one more time. Final thought - I think we are nuts not to support these guys in their fight against MM.

Hough Ear Institute

Hope everyone has a great day.

3. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I wanted to at least thank you for this important information. I am in OKC and got my diagnosis from there in 2016. If I was very rich I would write the check to cover their expenses. I did designate them for my charitable donation through Amazon Smile. I wish I could have been in their test group for the cell regeneration.

4. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017

April,

That is a great idea...I will sign for the Amazon donation as well. Thanks for the tip!

Mac

5. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Send the link to Huey Lewis, surely he has made enough over the years to donate a good amount for a disease that affected his career so much.

6. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Mac, would it be possible to start a Facebook Go Fund Me account for this organization? Until finding this site, I had no idea there were so many people who suffer with this terrible disease!! And, hardly any research being done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I just went into their page and donated. Also found their FB page and signed up for email follow-ups!! Thank you, Mac, for bringing this to our attention!

8. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Rebecca,

Let me know if you set up some sort of donation vehicle. I would be happy to help. We need to support MM research. Otherwise no one will. There simply is not enough financial incentive for drug companies. Thanks!!

9. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Good Morning Folks

Seems like things are heating up around here again about what works and what doesn't. Time for some positive news!

I know we all can agree that we would like to hear better again. I know personally I have lost 80% of my hearing (severe loss) in right ear and I am not even 40 years old yet.

Lets all come together to support a team in OKC that's trying to help us. No I'm not talking about Russell Westbrook and the OKC Thunder - I am talking about the Hough Ear Institute.

Here is the link...

Hough Ear Institute

Share it with your friends. Donate 10 bucks...maybe 20. This organization is trying to change your life and they need your support.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Mac I love your posts always full of good information and so positive! Thanks for all you do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thanks Redwing!!

12. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    This is great but my question would be ... until you stop the thing that is, in theory, killing your hearing wouldn't you have to keep doing this over and over and over? Not that I wouldn't sign up. :)

13. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    It is a pill. So I don't think it would not be a big deal to take as needed. It is still in research so we wont know just how effective it is until they get to Phase 2. They already did Phase 1 for safety.

Common folks - let's take some of the money you win in your office March Madness pool and donate it towards your hearing!!

Hough Ear Institute

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

14. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Reminder...Hough Ear Institute is still looking to raise money to launch a Phase 1 Trial for MM. They feel very confident that their drug may help reverse the damage caused by MM. They only need 75k more.

I highly encourage you to take a look and consider donating to this group. I have been in touch with them several times and they are an impressive bunch. Take a look at the link and see for yourself:

Hough Ear Institute

Hope you all have a great day.

15. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I looked at the site and didn't see anything related to Meniere's.

16. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    What did you see?

: )

They (Hough) are one of the leading hair cell regeneration research groups in the world. As you know...all of your symptoms associated with your MM - are caused from the killing off of your hair cells. We are all born with roughly 15,000. Once they die...they are gone. They believe they can regrow them.

Inner Ear Sensory Hair Cell Regeneration

Take a look at the research they are doing on re-growing your hair cells. Exciting stuff going on!

Have a great day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

Thank you. Yes I did see that about the hair cell regeneration. I apologize for my ignorance but I didn't know that would pertain to Meniere's. I'm having a very bad day today and can't think straight.

18. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Donated, thanks Mac

19. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Good Man Tony!! Thanks for your service!! They have been working with Vets for many years with hearing loss. Every penny helps.

No worries Cal Sun! I had a crappy day too...dizzy all day.

Pass this info on to friends and family. Feel free to call these guys yourself! They will pick up the phone and tell you all about their research.

Hope you have a better day today.

20. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Just noticed VEDA is now partnering with the Hough Institute to raise money to start a clinical trial for MM patients.

I would assume most of you are familiar with VEDA. They are a very respected charity that focuses on Vestibular disorders.

Take a look. If you have some extra money consider donating.

Have a great weekend!!

• Like Like x 1