1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Magnesium and B2

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by RedBird11, Mar 14, 2019.

1. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I have had Meniere's for 6 years now. I have been a bad flare the past year. My intense ear fullness and ringing was constant with vertigo every couple of days, to a week. I have pestered my neurotologist a lot lately. About two and a half weeks ago he said he wanted to try a different route and start treating me for MAV. He wanted me to start taking magnesium 2x a day and B2 2x a day. I was very skeptical, but tried anyway. By the end of the next day my ear fullness was way down and my tinnitus barely noticeable. Here I am two and a half weeks later feeling really good still... and I haven't had any vertigo! Seems like its working... but only time will tell I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    What amounts of the Mag and B2 have you been taking?

3. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    250mg Magnesium 2 times a day and 250mg of B2 2 times a day

4. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Been wondering if I may have Mav to go along with my Menieres my mom suffered from migraines as my sister does also. I have some Mag laying around and can pick up some B2 pretty easy would like to knock down the ear fullness. Thanks for the post.

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’m on magnesium and B2, both 200 mg twice a day; and coenzyme Q10; all for migraine prevention. I think what’s really helped is being off alcohol, caffeine and chocolate (check out “Heal your Headache” by dr. Buchholz).

I still get a neck/tooth/earache with our severe barometric changes, and often that’s when I get vertigo too (though they also live separate lives too).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    I had been in vertigo remission for the past nine months but all good things seem to have to come to an end. During my remission I had not been looking at these posts regularly, so a delay in my reply here...but I also found great relief from taking 200 mg of B2. I only take once a day. I seem to suffer from vestibular migraines and menieres. The only thing I want to note is that I had been taking high doses of B6, the neurologist who recommended the B2 to me told me B6 exacerbates the migraines, so I reduced my b6 vitamins as much as possible. I am also on the JOH regime.

7. JenLKN

JenLKN New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Do you follow the vestibular migrant diet? Was just diagnosed with this? Wondering how well it works.

8. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Sorry, I am just noticing this query. I have been really out of it with almost daily vertigo attacks for the past month. :(
    I have a lot of food allergies...gluten, egg, dairy and sensitivities- sugar, night shade vegetables...except potatoes. So I try to follow a migraine diet as best I can. I don't eat/drink caffeine, chocolate or any of the things I mentioned above. Also have a moderately low sodium diet. I basically eat to live, not much food pleasure anymore. Main diet--- rice products, roasted chicken, fish, roasted vegetables, a lot of soup, apples, pineapples. Generally only drink water, on a rare occasion will have an herbal tea. I have menieres but when I became perimenopausal now have mav as well. Best to you. Bonnie

9. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I really hope not to jinx myself but here is my update 4 months later.
    I am still doing great! No ear fullness, just light pressure at times. No roaring in my ear, just faint high pitch ringing. Also have not had any vertigo since.

• Like Like x 3
  10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Great news. Really interesting. Does your dr consider this a standard treatment for migraine?

11. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi redbird. Thats great news. Are you taking anything else with the Mag and B2? Like JON or anti-virals? Or just the Mag and B2?

12. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I just take a diuretic, Magnesium and B2. I have taken the diuretic for a few years, seemed to help a little at first and then not at all. I am afraid to stop taking it though.

13. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    He wanted me to just start with the Magnesium and B2 and see how I do with that. I think that is his first line of treatment for migraine. After that he would try a migraine preventative medicine, but I am doing so well with just the Magnesium and B2 there is no need to try those at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Great to hear you're doing well, RedBird. In reading your post I was going to ask you what the key differences between MAV and Menieres are. Instead, I googled it. The following is a partial quote from mvertigo.org:

"So one of the things that will often be asked is whether or not you experience photo or phonophobia – both central issues. That combined with test results showing peripheral problems points to migraine. Of course Meniere’s is associated with hydrops and progressive hearing loss in the low ranges, however, migraine can also produce hearing loss. It’s not always clear cut and some may have both MAV and Meniere’s … or perhaps they may even be two branches off the same tree:

Prof Timothy Hain: There is some thought that Meniere’s and Migraine are two faces of the same indistinguishable condition. This may be indeed the case in a substantial number of people. About 50% of people with Meniere’s also meet the criteria for Migraine, and for this reason, it is often a good idea to try the large repertoire of migraine treatments in persons with Meniere’s disease.

So the take home message is that if it’s not clear, the first point of call is to treat it as though it is migraine and see if you can kill the symptoms that way first. Migraine lifestyle (see The Survival Guide) and a migraine medication."

I copied the above section in case there are others like me wondering if the Mag/B2 treatment may be worth a try even if you believe that your vestibular issues are Menieres caused. Sounds like it may be worth a shot.

• Informative Informative x 1