1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dr. Gacek rumor

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Pupper, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Someone said that he's not allowed to prescribe antivirals anymore. Can anyone shed some light on this rumor?

2. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    I don't know this personally--but read it on this board. Seems the Ent doc's or the 'powers that be' at the hospital he works at, said it had not been a proven treatment. Not sure that was exactly what was posted here--so check it out.

I wonder if his son still prescribes them? And--how can they say that when many folks here (not me, unfortunately) have had good results with them.
    You can search by typing in Dr. Gacek--where it says 'search'.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    That would be odd, as NOTHING is a proven treatment for Menieres. In one study shunt surgery was not better than placebo. I suspect he might have been viewed as a showboat and that will do you in.

4. Eddie

Eddie New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Dr. Gacek is the furthest person from a showboat that I’ve ever met. He is humble, intelligent, and extremely kind. He saved my wife’s health. He was our last hope and delivered fully. She had extreme vertigo and could not function. His protocol saved her fully.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for that info, Eddie. Sometimes success is just not appreciated by peers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. clearing

clearing Guest

This is all disinformation, slander and a wet dream for the viral deniers which have populated this forum. I am in touch with him and he continues to practice with antivirals and Umass is extremely happy with his studies replicated elsewhere. Disgusting behavior.

• Like Like x 2
  7. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    That's pretty harsh clearing! I think everyone on this board is pretty supportive of each other no matter what route they decide to take to help conquer this disease. I think just the opposite, their are far more viral believers than non! Your comment is very offensive!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. clearing

clearing Guest

So being its patently false - you support this behavior? rumor mongering? where do you stand on starting a new thread to disseminate that?

9. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I don't support your behavior or comments. End of story.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  10. clearing

clearing Guest

It is patently obvious to all reading that slandering a good doctors name is wrong. You don't show integrity when you support that. You had your opportunity to clarify. You and others on this stream are clearly fomenting hate towards Dr. Gacek or trying to discredit his good name and antiviral treatments in general. Shame on you. This site has clearly been a money tree for some earning referral fees and steering people away from good treatment. As I said - disgusting behavior.

11. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Take a break. You really are not going to get a fight going about this here.

12. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Clearing. My post was from a year ago. I barely knew who Gracek was at that time. Still don't know or care much about him.

Second, someone actually did say he got banned by his hospital from prescribing anti-virals. That's a major comment. If memory serves, I couldn't find much online about it. So I asked the question here.

If I was inclined to hurt his name, I would have just let the negative comment about him remain. But, if you weren't paranoid, you'd see I was actually asking, "where is the proof of this?" Everyone let the negative Gracek comment go. I didn't. I brought it out into the open, for pro or con comment.

I've said here many times that anti-virals seem to work for many people. If they didn't, no one would still be talking about them. I just think their efficacy is overstated. Agree to disagree on that.

ScottTom was this forum's prime anti-viral proponent. When he left, I sent him a few pm's, expressing that I hope he'll come back. If I were so anti anti-viral, why would I ask someone like him to come back?

Clearing. No one cares that much. Do what you do. Advise people. Let's agree to not cross paths about it. Whatever works. No one cares how.

13. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I don’t believe in Antivirals as a cure for menieres and it has nothing to do with Dr Gacek or any other doctor that prescribed them. If they gave you relief great!!!

A gentleman in our support group in Atlanta has had mm for 13 years and an old root canal was acting up so they recommended he have it redone...he said no just pull it out....they did and his mm cleared completely up. Go figure after 13 years!!

14. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    If you think anyone that posts on this board has a cure for Menieres ... just ... I'm not sure where to start.

If something you did made you feel better, keep doing it. Just don't assume it means it would work for someone else. I was taking antivirals and they seemed to help but I'm not going to shout from the rooftop that it's the be all and end all.

Sheesh. Like we don't have enough problems having Menieres that we need to fight with each other.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    TMC, bro, you sound just as feisty as any of us. Funny.

Here's the thing, the desire to get others fixed is strong if you've been fixed and think you know the answer. Meniere's is a terrible affliction. If I'd been fixed by my gentamicin injections I'd be, as you say, "shouting from the rooftops" for others to pursue it ASAP. It's a bit irrational yes, (since a sample size of 1 is a pretty small sample size! LOL) but the impulse is borne from human kindness. The passion to help. (Unless the motivation is money, but let's not even go there).

Of course, as you imply in your first sentence, there's no cure for Meniere's. But I think by fixed or "cured" most of us here mean having our dizziness brought down to tolerable levels.

Have you ever seen a movie you loved, then told a friend, "you've GOT to see this movie!" That's not quite rational as tastes differ. But all you know is that you want him to have the same great experience you did.

OK, I'll stop sounding like Mr. Rogers now.

16. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I did notice this morning my Vitamin Water (revive flavor) has 100% of daily dose of vitamin B5 and B6.

So technically...lol...I wont even go there.

Donate some money to Hough Institute boys!! I want to hear again!!

17. Graytopzombie

Graytopzombie New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    I’ve been a patient of Dr. Gacek’s for the past 10 years. He prescribed Valacyclovir for my Menieres and I’ve been stable and without dizziness ever since (progress was slow and over a number of months). I called in today to get my prescription refilled and was told that he is retiring in July 2019. The doctor that is taking over his patients is Dr. Davidi. I was told that Dr. Davidi “doesn’t believe in antiviral treatments for Menieres.” The nurse that told me this said that Dr. Gacek is “old school” and that Dr. Davidi has other treatments that do not involve medication. I’m normally anti- medication whenever possible but since the anti-virals seemed to work for me, I swear by them. The nurse suggested that I have my general practitioner prescribe the anti-vitals moving forward which is what I will do.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. David Ash

David Ash New Member

Jun 14, 2019
    Swindon UK
    I spoke with his office yesterday, His son is still at the practice and is not retiring, he does still precribe Anti Virals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1