1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by richmac, Mar 24, 2019.

1. richmac

richmac New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Hi all

Currently undergoing various tests and scans for suspected meniere's. Misdiagnosed initially, thankfully my employer provides private medical cover (UK) so I was able to see a very experienced ENT surgeon who immediately suspected meniere's but is covering all bases with CT/MRI scans.

I have classic symptoms, except my tinnitus suddenly changed from 'normal' to pulsatile that matches my heart rate a few months ago. Is this type of tinnitus associated with meniere's? Ive read a lot of literature and its rarely mentioned.

thanks

2. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Hey there richmac, I had that type of tinnitus start about 2 weeks AFTER my first attack, lasted for about a week. It is associated with other serious issues so MRI is essential. Mine went away and hasn't come back thank goodness! Try the vitamin B5/B6 thing and magnesium as well, I have killed off my normal tinnitus with this. Good luck with your tests and hope you enjoy this forum, I find it very helpful in a non-depressing way!

3. richmac

richmac New Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Thanks Jacqui

Unfortunately the pulsatile tinnitus is 24/7 and pretty dreadful to live with. I also have the standard high pitched tinnitus too, all left ear only. CT was clear, waiting for a neck/brain/inner ear MRI to rule in/out any other causes.

Great forum and very useful reading other peoples experiences.

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Richmac
    I have had Menieres for over 10 years. Most of that time, one flavour of my tinnitus is pulsatile. Yes, they’ll want to rule out aneurysm etc with an MRI. My MRIs have all been normal, so I assume that, for me, it’s part of Menieres.

The only good thing about it was it got me slightly speedier medical service when it started.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Sorry you are having to go through this. Menierer's is a very strange creature. I have had Menierer's for 19 years, and every day, 24/7 I have heard a noise in my ear, (head?), that sounds like a roar or motor running, along with hearing every beat of my heart. Sometimes loud, and sometimes not as loud. Sometimes a hissing, and sometimes a high pitched noise. But, always the motor and my heartbeat. Can be bothersome to hear your heart beat, especially if you experience irregular beats, (like PVC's). Keeping busy can help distract.

• Like Like x 2
  6. _Desolation_ _Row_

_Desolation_ _Row_ New Member

Nov 21, 2020
    Hey, all. Glad to find this! I've had this for years 'til a hearing aid doctor called it what it is. Mine sounds like a siren rising and falling in perfect time with my pulse, but not loud. I get an occasional perhaps related clicking form inside my mouth, seeming to be under my tongue. My Ménière's is only in one ear and not severe now, after 7 years, but I keep Dimenhydrinate nearby always. Good to see fellow sufferers!