1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. JeffreyVik

JeffreyVik Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Thats awesome Jacqui, the added Magnesium I think does help. I’m going to ramp up myself.

2. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Been taking AV's 3g/day since my relapse added B5\B6 and didn't notice a change but since adding the magnesium a few days ago i'm feeling slightly improved. Fingers crossed.

3. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    This is an interesting and informative article, Jacqui. I wonder whether and how magnesium might be used along with gentamicin treatment to try to preserve hearing. Would it interfere with the desired effect of the gent? Or would it be useful as a pre-treatment therapy to protect hearing?

The article says magnesium therapy is well known and well documented, but no medical provider ever mentioned it to me. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    I think magnesium is commonly prescribed for noise-related hearing loss so there may be more info in searches relevant to NIHL, my friend is an EOD tech (he blows stuff up) and he was put on it by an Australian doctor after returning from a job in Iraq, (many in his field have deafness from the work).

6. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I started taking Magnesium 250mg twice a day (along with B2 twice a day) about 3 and a half weeks ago. I had been in a major flare for the last year. Within 24 hours I started feeling MUCH better. I still feel really good! I am feeling positive about this. My ear fullness is way down and no vertigo since.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jen R

Jen R New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Bennyhil,
    How many mg of salt do you take in per day? I have seen various numbers of what is considered “low” salt diet. I was curious what you do or recommend.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    I have no idea how many mg of salt I take in per day. I start every day with a low salt cereal breakfast containing 26mg of salt per 100gm of cereal. I add no salt to my other meals, and add no salt to my cooking. I do cook pasta in salt water, but wash it thoroughly in hot water to remove the salt. I avoid high salt food, where possible with occasional ham, bacon and sausages. Most days lunch is sandwiches with low salt fillings, such as salad, cheese homemade jam. Every now and then peanut butter (576mg/100gm) or Vegemite (3300mg/100gm) but only a smear. If you have a high salt breakfast you will struggle all day. Remember you flush salt with your morning urine, so don't replace it at breakfast.

I find by having such a low salt breakfast, I can take a big salt hit during the day when I take grandchildren to MacDonalds and eat their salty fries without affect. Occasional nights out at restaurant where I cannot control the salt used in cooking (although I don't add salt to my meal) do not affect me.

I find if my salt level rises too high, the wooziness returns but does not develop a full blown attack due to the B5/B6. i flush the salt with plenty of water. At other times it gets too low and I will crave something salty. A small serve of potato crisps and the craving goes in a few minutes. It's just a balancing act.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Your diminished Tinitus is what I would expect after 23 days. I did say that after a month it would be virtually gone, only noticeable at very quiet times. The general unwell feeling should also be gone. I don't take magnesium but if it works for you, good on you. Neither it or the B5/B6 will repair any damage Menieres has caused to your hearing, but they will stop further damage.

There is one problem (a good problem) with B5/B6. Time will pass as you continue taking them and then you will suddenly realise you have not had a Menieres attack in a long, long time. At that point you will know that you have been cured, not of Menieres as you will still have it, but you have been cured of further attacks. You will be on them for life as I am.

10. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I've been on b5/b6 for about 3 weeks now. Has not been a straight line (I had one bad week in there, though it wasn't debilitatingly bad), but for the first time in months there are times I can't even notice any tinnitus. Felt so good yesterday, I realized I had forgotten what it is like to feel good.

That said, I also started monolaurin a week ago, so I'm not a good test case. I'm just trying to get better.

11. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    You are getting better. Re-read your own post.
    Sounds like the B5/B6 are working as I said they would. A week to 10 days and you feel better overall and a month for Tinitus to virtually stop. Forever. Menieres attacks stop after a week or two. Forever. I stopped all other prescription medications after starting on B5/B6 nine years ago, because I don't need them.

Now you need to reduce your salt further, because of the bad week you said you had. If your salt level is too high, B5/B6 will stop you from having a debilitating bad episode, but you can still have spells of dizziness. Lower your salt level further and B5/B6 will stop ALL episodes of Menieres.

12. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    on my 3rd day of b5 + b6. 100mg b6 & 100mg b5 since it's the only one i can find in my area. other than that is 500mg in capsule form.

does the tinnitus usually get worse before it gets better ?. My tinnitus is very loud today and a bit dizzy than usual.

thx

13. Jen R

Jen R New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    On my 11th day of b5/b6.
    Brain fog & general dizziness gone. Still have ear fullness and lessened tinnitus. No attacks since starting the vitamins. Maintaining a low salt diet (~1,000 to 1,500 mg).

Thank you Bennyhill for sharing your b5/b6 regimen!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Depends on severity. It takes up to a month for Tinitus to virtually disappear. On your third day it's too soon for results. Takes 7-10 days for you to feel normal again. Keep going; be encouraged by those already finding success.

I would like to see how you get on with the lower dose of B5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Took my first dose today at breakfast. B6 100mg "Nature's Bounty" Amazon. B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 100mg. "Source Naturals" Amazon. Again, I don't have high hopes. Even if it doesn't work, thanks BennyHill for trying to help.

16. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I accidentally bought 250mg capsules of the B5 so I can't cut them in half. Do you think that's ok? Also, B5 is Pantothenic Acid, right?

Thanks! I'm excited to try this!

17. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach

18. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Australia
    Yes, B5 is also called Pantothenic acid, similar to Vitamin C is also called ascorbic acid.

I have only taken 125mg B5 since 2010, so have no information about taking 250mg. I also do not know why I was told to take both B5 and B6 or the interaction of the two vitamins. I do believe that B5 enhances the function of B6.

The following website discusses B5:

Vitamin B5 | Pantothenic Acid | Andrew Weil, M.D.

It states that there is no recommend maximimum daily dose although 10-20 grams of B5 can cause health problems, so since 250mg is 1/40 or 2.5% of 10 grams then it is quite safe to take. Try it and see if you get the same results as with 125mg. Remember that you cannot store B5 or B6 as they are water soluble and pass each day in your urine, so taking 250mg of B5 every two days is not the same as 125mg every day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tess72764

Tess72764 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Arkansas USA
    I am on day 16 of the 100mg B6 /125 mg B5 regimen that has been so successful for Bennyhill and iamsteeler. On day 8 I had a mild vertigo attack lasting only 1 hour (mine usually go from 2-4 hours). Since then I have been doing real well. On day 9 I added a 12.5mg Meclizine daily to my regimen, as I can't stand the thought of another attack and will try almost anything at this point. I have an appointment with a different ENT in Little Rock, AR on April 16. I'm counting on being able to tell him that since day 8 on the B vitamin regimen that I am vertigo free. I will also tell him about the Meclizine as I really don't want to take it daily long term.
    My tinnitus has improved somewhat. I am 100% caffeine free and low 1000-1500mg sodium daily.
    Thanks again Bennyhill and iamsteeler for all your valuable information!

20. Tess72764

Tess72764 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Arkansas USA
    Pupper, I too didn't have much hope but read my post above...hang in there it may take some a little longer than others! Praying the best for you.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019