1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Grief and Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Emily, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    I know stress aggravates and is related to Meniere's in some way, but I'm curious if anyone else had their first onset of Meniere's specifically after experiencing the death of a loved one? I randomly stumbled across an article where a man said his father got Meniere's after his brother suddenly died.

I got Meniere's one year to the day after my friend killed herself. Grief is a very particular kind of stress and I'd like to hear if anyone else feels the two are related for them - I definitely felt that there was a spiritual or emotional connection between grief and my first Meniere's episode

2. Tess72764

Tess72764 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Arkansas USA
    My first Meniere’s attack was 2 months after my husband lost his job. I’m in no way comparing the death of someone to losing a job but I will always believe that the stress it caused was the beginning of my disease. I’ve never said that out loud to anyone nor even written it down!

• Like Like x 1
  3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I think it is often associated with a sudden jolt to the system.My hydrops happened right after i quit smoking and during a time when my house was a construction zone full of noise and allergens. I have always suspected the smoking connection

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I used to do a lot of reading on Meniere's before I stopped giving a sh*t after all the failed diets meds and surgeries. Anyway I recall reading about a disproportionate number of Meniere's sufferers having a history of depression.

Then again, I think that probably applies to people with other ailments. Depression and stress release all those detrimental chemicals.

But to your exact question. No, I did not have a major event cause my onset.

If you got Meniere's within the month of your friend dying, I'd say the stress could have more quickly brought on the Meniere's that was already lurking. But it was a year later, so I doubt it.

Just my know-nothing opinion.

5. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I don't know about causing Menieres but I've had it 3 months now and any stress at all triggers a usually rest of a bad day ahead. I just can not handle any kind of stress anymore without getting full blown dizziness and extreme tinnitus after. I would say 3 notches hire for both.
    Any one else experience this ?

6. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Stress absolutely played a large role in my onset. I'll never forget the day when I started experiencing something different happening in my ear. It was timed exactly with an event. Furthermore, I forever have to manage my stress levels to keep from raising the likelihood of an attack or increased agitation.

7. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yep,

I got my first
    Signs of menieres working at Goldman Sachs in New York wiling 16 hour days, stress like nothing you can imagine, eating lunch at my desk which consisted of shit food and diet mt dews (4-6 a day). On top of having to deal with 6 miscarriages and the emotional distress of that.

Diet and stress did me in like many on here

8. srmophett

srmophett New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    louisiana
    A crappy fast paced alcohol and nicotine lifestyle seems to really help kick it into gear and get it going, been all downhill from there. Just like many of you I am going through every kind of suggestion and treatment I can find. The problem is that the past high pressure lifestyle has probably given some of us coronary artery disease and or maybe Chronic kidney disease, those two buddies in conjunction begin limiting the kinds of treatments you can try.
    My, My, after looking back at what I have just written it sounds pretty grim, well I am not giving up and neither should any of you. Just keep on keeping on and spreading the information, it helps us all.
    Would anyone happen to know where I can find a good Witch Doctor????o_O;)