1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Antibody test?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bewestbrook, Apr 22, 2019.

1. bewestbrook

bewestbrook New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Given the pattern of attacks and response to John of Ohio, a viral explanation seems at least likely. I'd like to get an antibody test, but my GP doesn't feel qualified to interpret any results, which is fair. She referred me to a doctor who specializes in allergies and immunology. But his website is all about allergies. I have no idea what type of doctor to ask for a reference to. I tried to find someone who is a virologist, but struck out. Any suggestion about specializations is very, very much appreciated.

2. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Immunologist or Infectious Disease

3. bewestbrook

bewestbrook New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thank you! I'll try the doctor in the referral then.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    But although there are tests for the antigens associated with herpes infections, they apparently don't always detect the herpes viruses that infect the inner ear in Meniere's. A negative test result will not rule out a herpes infection of the inner ear.

--John of Ohio

5. bewestbrook

bewestbrook New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thank you, too. Very good information to take with me. Fortunately, my ENT is willing to prescribe an antiviral without the test. But I kind of want to know, too.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Take antivirals and see if they work. There is no test that will scan for all possible herpes viruses and or tell you even if present, if they are affecting your ear. Herpes viruses are ubiquitous and most of us have had most of them by a certain age. Viruses never get wiped out of your body, they just stay dormant or not. There are probably some that are not even identified yet.

Antivirals like acyclovir, famvir and valtrex are usually well tolerated if you do not have kidney or liver issues. If they work great, if not no harm done. Good luck!

7. bewestbrook

bewestbrook New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thank you for the information. I have tried one and at first had a bad reaction, but gave it another go and it actually worked pretty great. I'm trying to manage my hopefulness for its effects here, but I felt really good at the most recent six week mark. Maybe I don't really need a test? It's just that I feel more in control when I have hard data. "Hard data" and "Meniere's" don't really go together, do they.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    We all want that hard data, it just doesnt exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bewestbrook

bewestbrook New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    (sigh)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Which herpe virus are they say is invading the inner ear? Is it hsv1 or hsv2?

11. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    HSV1 is supposed to be the inner ear while HSV2 is near the spine. The latter is more commonly found.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014

According to who?

13. bewestbrook

bewestbrook New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thank you for the specifics. I did have warts as a child, but only as a child, never after about age 8, maybe 10, so I'm just not sure. And I'm definitely working on the whole picture. I'm strict about the JoO regimen, controlling for the lysine/arginine competition. At 5 weeks, I up lysine from 3000mg/day to 4500/day and add elderberry. That and the antiviral have definitely made a difference that I can feel, like the tinnitus ramping down. I had lost the ability to navigate through a dark house without feeling dizzy and I can do that again. I had been taking dramamine off and on more than I wanted to since it makes me sleepy and leaves me dehydrated. And I don't do that any more either. And less subjectively, my hearing has improved. It'd been steady losses for 6 tests in a row over about a year. This most recent test, I had some hearing back! All of this made me want to pursue some kind of antibody testing. This thread has been super helpful. Many thanks to all. I'm wide open to any ideas about maintenance and what to say to what kind of doctor.

• Like Like x 1