1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

No-Salt Deli Meat

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by California Sun, Jun 12, 2019.

1. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Deli meats aren't something I eat often but yesterday it was so hot we decided to have deli sandwiches for dinner. I don't follow a low-salt diet but have always followed a moderate-salt one both for general health reasons and because I don't like a lot of salt in my food. I noticed that they had both low and no-salt options--only a couple of them but, hey, it's a start. I hadn't seen these before. Since deli meat is generally too salty for my taste, I opted for the the no-salt roast turkey. It was delicious! I seasoned it with freshly ground pepper. Those who like deli meat might want to look for these. Just thought I'd put that out there for anyone who might be interested, because I know some are following a low-salt diet.

2. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Is there a name brand?

3. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    The salt-free turkey breast I purchased is made by Boar's Head. You could try googling "salt free deli meat" and see what else might come up. If one company is making this, others probably are, too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Be careful of the nitrate additives in deli meat, can be as bad as sodium . But if you are only eating occasionally, salt- free is better than nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Remember you can cut the salt in half in any food by eating half as much. Deli meats, bacon etc can be used more as flavoring for a sandwich than the main ingredient. Less meat, more of everything else (although breads tend to have a surprising amount of sodium too). And so do sauces. But quantity is as important with everything. Fresh fruits and vegetables are darn near sodium free and you can fill up on them.

6. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Salt is not an issue for me as far as the Meniere's goes. Never has been, and I've dealt with it for decades. I just happen to find that some foods are too salty for my taste. I already eat a low-carb, vegetable-heavy diet. I am a small eater who is already at the lower end of appropriate weight for my height, so no, cutting what I eat in half is not an option for me.

7. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    1. Boar’s Head Ovengold® Roasted Turkey Breast – Skinless
    2. Applegate Naturals® Smoked Turkey Breast
    3. Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Lower Sodium Rotisserie Chicken Breast
    4. Boar's Head Simplicity® All Natural* Cap-Off Top Round Oven Roasted Beef
    5. Land O'Frost Simply Delicious Hickory Smoked Ham
    I just found this list on Dr. Oz’s website.

• Like Like x 1
  8. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Thank you for the list. I am going to write it down. Deli meat isn't something I eat very often but I find that most of it is simply too salty for my taste.